223/556

Chef_NP

NES Member
Are there any options for a 223/556 rifle in MA that is similar to an AK platform? AR platform for 22 are available (own one) but wanting 223/556 platform.

Are there any options for a 223/556 rifle in MA that is similar to an AK platform? AR platform for 22 are available (own one) but wanting 223/556 platform.
Zastava m90 in .223 but, gosh, why?

AK is great for what it is. AR is good for what it is for as well. Do not collide different universes

Zastava m90 in .223 but, gosh, why?

AK is great for what it is. AR is good for what it is for as well. Do not collide different universes
I'm not looking for AR specifically but chambered 223/556. Other ideas?

Start here.

Then save your pennies and buy an AR 180.

Arsenal to name one makes an AK in 5.56, no idea why because it's an AK and deserves commie ammo.

It's like an AR chambered in x39, why ????????

Because of Poland and Bulgaria joining NATO, there's been a number of 5.56 AKs used by our allies since the end of the Cold War, specifically the wz. 96 Beryl and AR-M1. Serbia's also moved to 5.56 from 7.62x39 since the end of the Balkan Wars. Here's the problem for Mass people - the only AKs to come into the US prior to 1994 that would've been in .223/5.56 were Valmets in .223 and a very small number of Chinese AKs, a tiny amount in comparison to the potentially million plus of 7.62x39 Chinese AKs. Most Valmets were in .223 because prior to the Chinese guns, 7.62x39 was hard to find and expensive, so, .223 was the best seller for Valmets.

There are also .223/5.56 Saigas and Veprs on the market - I used to own a .223 Saiga. Good luck finding one in Mass or finding an out-of-state dealer willing to send one into Mass. Though, an unconverted gun would probably be much easier, except the problem is the Obama Saiga and Trump Vepr import bans mean that there's no more new Russian guns anymore.

Currently, FB Radom, Zastava, Arsenal, and WBP are the only companies exporting .223 guns into the US.

Your probable best bet is to find an unconverted Saiga or Vepr. A kit or a parts build is also doable - FB Radom barrels and bolts are available online. If you can get a Zastava M90 or a new FB or WBP or Arsenal in... great. Otherwise, the only "easily" accessible pre-89 .223 AK is a Valmet.

I just picked up a Keltec SU16 over the weekend, I'm pretty impressed with the rifle.
Shoots everything I put threw it ( steel 223 and brass .556 ) without any hiccups.
Piston driven, light 4.5lbs, takes AR mags, it's not as accurate as and AR but still rings the gong at a hundred yards.

I paid under 500.00 new, but I knew the dealer wanted to move it. Front folds out to a bi-pod to, lol.

Attachments

• KIMG0556.JPG
    KIMG0556.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 38
  • KIMG0555.JPG
    KIMG0555.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 38
JitteryTatteredGallowaycow-size_restricted.gif

I appreciate the input but what I'm hearing is no new rifles to really choose from. Either pre-ban or not much else.

You can absolutely buy new rifles, as long as they're compliant.

That's why I mentioned the unconverted Saigas and Veprs - those came in with single stack mag wells, a barrel nut that was p/w (I think? been awhile), and a thumbhole or "traditional" pistol grip stock. Most new AKs are converted from their "sporting purpose" hosts by the US importers these days. But the Saigas and Veprs weren't, at least until FIME took over Vepr importation.

I have no idea if the CA-compliance shark fin modification works for Mass. If it does, AK vendors like Atlantic offer it on some guns, like these SAM7s:

Arsenal SAM 7R AK47 Rifle - AtlanticFirearms.com

Came here to post K1A1. That beautiful cross between an ar and an ak.
for something to actually carry around i would absolutely go with a bullpup - tavor x95. it is just more practical, and easy to deal with - compact form factor and a 16" barrel.
i also suspect it should be capable to cycle much longer without cleaning or service or lube than an AR. not as reliable as an AK in extreme conditions, perhaps, but, close enough.

Back
Top Bottom