.222 projectile question

chindogg

NES Member
My cousin reloads and is new to the .223 game. He has a friend selling .222 bullets. I know there are many factors involved so I won't list all the questions/factors. Bottom line- can you load .222 projectiles in .223 brass and have it fire safely and with decent accuracy?

My cousin reloads and is new to the .223 game. He has a friend selling .222 bullets. I know there are many factors involved so I won't list all the questions/factors. Bottom line- can you load .222 projectiles in .223 brass and have it fire safely and with decent accuracy?

Can you load them, yes.

Will they shoot, yes.

Will they be accurate? Very doubtful. Normal rounds are .224, which I'm assuming you know already.

Its an interesting experiment, but not a good idea for a new reloader as squibs become a VERY real possibility during load development.

He is not new to the reloading game but .223 Is a new caliber to him. He typically reloads ,308 and other hunting calibers. With ammo getting so rare and expensive we figured we would explore the possibility. It would be foolish not to explore possibilities.

I would do a little more homework. I’m unaware of a .222 bullet. Not saying it doesn’t exist but I would do some more digging

I would do a little more homework. I’m unaware of a .222 bullet. Not saying it doesn’t exist but I would do some more digging

there are many. Many many .222 bullets out there...they are not made for .223 barrels though.

OP, I’d say it’s worth a shot, but I wouldn’t push them very hard. Lots of guys shoot .30 caliber bullets out of Mosin’s typically have bores closer to .311/.312. I can’t say I’ve ever tried it, but it’s relatively common. THAT being said, the difference PERCENTAGE wise from a .224 to .222 is steeper than a .311 to a .308, so maybe do some Google fu on it and see what you come up with first?

One ‘hang up’ I can see is in bullet seating though...a .222 bullet might slide right into a case sized for .224.

there are many. Many many .222 bullets out there...they are not made for .223 barrels though.

OP, I’d say it’s worth a shot, but I wouldn’t push them very hard. Lots of guys shoot .30 caliber bullets out of Mosin’s typically have bores closer to .311/.312. I can’t say I’ve ever tried it, but it’s relatively common. THAT being said, the difference PERCENTAGE wise from a .224 to .222 is steeper than a .311 to a .308, so maybe do some Google fu on it and see what you come up with first?

One ‘hang up’ I can see is in bullet seating though...a .222 bullet might slide right into a case sized for .224.

On this note, I would crimp the necks to prevent setback when feeding. The Lee .223 crimping die will easily accommodate enough tension.

What weight are they and do they have a cannelure ? Could be something for say a 220 swift , and isnt there a 220 fireball or something ?

1. What is the actual size of the bullet?
222 rem takes a .224” bullet just like 223 rem and 5.56 NATO

If your bullets your friend has are .222” dia. Since they are not ideal for your use I would not pay much for them.
if they are under 50 grains and are older thin skinned varmint bullets they may not get down range before exploding out of a 1/7 twist barrel

find out exactly what they are
.224” vs .222” dia. Wont beca huge problem they will load and shoot just might not be that accurate. Might get some copper fouling if the bore is worn ,

again buying stuff to buy it is not good. Get them for free or cheap grab them for the day things really get bad

Imo I wouldn’t really mess with the .222 projectile there are still bullets available just gotta look.
1. What is the actual size of the bullet?
222 rem takes a .224” bullet just like 223 rem and 5.56 NATO

If your bullets your friend has are .222” dia. Since they are not ideal for your use I would not pay much for them.
if they are under 50 grains and are older thin skinned varmint bullets they may not get down range before exploding out of a 1/7 twist barrel

find out exactly what they are
.224” vs .222” dia. Wont beca huge problem they will load and shoot just might not be that accurate. Might get some copper fouling if the bore is worn ,

again buying stuff to buy it is not good. Get them for free or cheap grab them for the day things really get bad
Got it. I'm going to look at exactly what he has today. Picked up some bullets online yesterday so I am really hoping he has some primers. He is up there in age and had eye surgery. His wife made him start selling all his stuff while he was recuperating and too weak to fight with her. He posted some things online and a guy was on his way from upstate New York within fifteen minutes!

If these bullets are 45-50 grain they may be designed for the .22 Hornet. Post brand names and sizes and the brain trust will chime in.

If the bullets are .222 diameter, they're probably for the 218 Bee. Even the 22 Hornet is .224 except some old guns that are .223.

Back
Top Bottom