• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

22 target pistols - Buckmark/Victory/Ruger?

I have heard they are having some issues with the take down screws on the Victories falling out. I have not shot one yet. I have shot a Buckmark and it was a nice gun, I still liked the Ruger better. I have several Rugers and They shoot better than I am able to. The MKIII competition is an awesome gin. Mine has over 30K rounds through it and for the most part has been trouble free. I did have to replace a broken extractor and a firing pin rebound spring. I probably will buy a MKIV just because but the MKI II and III are not hard to take apart if you have any mechanical ability at all.
I will tell you that Rugers customer service is great. The few times I called them, (when extractor broke and 1 other minor issue) they sent parts out right away and actually sent out some extra stuff based on the round count on the gun, always no charge.

I will tell you that Rugers customer service is great. The few times I called them, (when extractor broke and 1 other minor issue) they sent parts out right away and actually sent out some extra stuff based on the round count on the gun, always no charge.

This. Ruger is fantastic for customer service.

I shoot Bullseye in the Western Mass league and the Worcester County league. By far the most common beginner gun is the Ruger Mark 2, or 3. If you upgrade the trigger with the Volquartzen trigger kit it is a nice 2lb trigger.
The takedown is tricky but there are plenty of help videos on line to get you through it. It's easy once you've done it a few times.
Maybe wait for the new version coming out with the easy breakdown to become mass legal.
Great service and easy to get parts.

I'll have to show you my Supermatic Citation some time then. Press plunger under barrel back and the barrel pops off.

I bought a new Sumpermatic Citation in 1975....sold it and have regretted it since. GREAT gun!

I have heard they are having some issues with the take down screws on the Victories falling out.

This was true with the first run of them that landed in dealers late winter/early spring 2016. Most were loosening up while shooting the first few 100 rounds. The latest run of them seems to have been fixed at S&W as well as the owners manuals now saying to check the screw for tightness. Current DIY fix that by all reports say take care of the problem is by using a #61 o-ring and torqueing to 30 inch pounds. Others are using basic split ring lock washers or star washers with success. Some are using blue lock tight, but just a small dab. From reading many different forum threads on this, the DIY fixes are all working fine. People are reporting anywhere from 1000 to 2000 rounds fired between cleanings and the screws are staying tight.

I'll have to show you my Supermatic Citation some time then. Press plunger under barrel back and the barrel pops off.

Yo Michael, I'd love to see it! [smile] I hope to catch you at Hopkinton sometime soon! [grin]
I really enjoyed shooting your S&W 500 indoors at HSA! [smile]
Take Care....
Ed

I shot a HS Citation and a S&W 41 in bullseye. Both had Herrett grips, an optics rail, optics and trigger work, and they were great. Sold them when I moved to NM as there's no bullseye down here. I had a Ruger MK2 that I sold as well, just didn't like it.
But my wife and I still each have a Buckmark Target with the factory full length rail and really like them. In fact my wife used her Buckmark with an optic to compete against me and my HS. It was humbling.
Don't know if Browning still does the target version, but we like them a lot.

Been shooting a S&W #41 since 2008. Shoots reliably and accurately, also an easy gun to take down and care for with a sweet trigger. Even used they are reliable and hold their value.

Been shooting a S&W #41 since 2008. Shoots reliably and accurately, also an easy gun to take down and care for with a sweet trigger. Even used they are reliable and hold their value.

I bought mine used in 1984 (built 1979), it was the very first .22 pistol I ever bought, I paid $290 for it.
Still have it, and it's still my favorite "plinker", and I own many .22 pistols, including a rare Woodsman and an even more rare Hartford. I must have put close to 100k rounds through it and all I ever replaced was a worn out extractor.

Of the three you (the OP) mention, if get a good used Ruger MK II bull barrel. They will shoot as accurately as you can up till you reach master class.

That's what I'd buy if I already didn't have a S&w 41 and a High Standard Victor.

Of the three you (the OP) mention, if get a good used Ruger MK II bull barrel. They will shoot as accurately as you can up till you reach master class.

I'm closing in on Expert. Got a ways to go before I hit Master. The Ruger's still far more accurate than I am.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have a couple of Mark III's, IV and a Victory. I love the Victory. Easy and fun to shoot, takedown and clean. Front and rear fiber optic night sights and a 3lb trigger out of the box.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom