• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

22 Target Pistol

To me, the triggers on the Rugers all need some work. Additionally, the action operates behind the hand grip, which can be an issue for some people.

If you are serious about bullseye shooting you want to think about a gun that has proved itself over time.

I have a S&W 41, a Walthers GSP, a Hammerli 215, and a Hammerli 208. I like the Walthers GSP best, but any decent gun is more accurate than I can. I just don't want to go to a competitive shoot and be equipment challanged.

I use a S&W Model 41 with a red dot scope for my pistol team, very accurate but they're not cheap. Come to think of it, neither is the ammo for it now, lol....

I own a Ruger Mark III 22/45, with a red dot. It's not hard to disassemble and reassemble if you pay attention to the many guidelines out there. I'm happy to meet any NES'er at Braintree to share what I know about disassembly/reassembly. Don't force anything when you work on one!

i also have a 22a red dot with target grips, another 22a Talo (BNIB, I liked the first so much I bought a fancier 22a).

Lastly, I break out a nice Model 41 and shoot iron sights occasionally.

All of these shoot well, and I find that the variety helps me stay sharp when I'm practicing for a few hours. My favorite may be the 22a. It fits my large hands nicely, is accurate, and cleans easily.

another vote for the s&w model 41. ive had mine since 1975. i dont know how many rounds have been put through it but it is over 15k. no major or minor problems at all. it is still all original parts. just a warning......you have to have a ltc a because the 41 is considered a large capacity firearm.

bob

+1 for Ruger MkII or Mk III bull bbl. Will outlast you and not picky at all re ammo so long as you don't completely neglect cleaning- at least that is my experience with the MkII. My personal preference is to install custom target grips- really makes a nice difference.

Check out the rules for your intended competition. Iron sights most likely- just use the stock sights. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom