.22 Ruger Mishap

Not the land of the free but the home of the brave
At the range a guy was shooting a Ruger semi 22 pistol. He said something was wrong. We investigated the round next in the mag had the tip partially blown off. We found the ejected brass and the primer was split. His hands had powder marks but otherwise OK. It was Remington bulk stuff. The gun seemed OK too. Doesn't like it went off out of battery. He said some of the rounds seemed under powered that one looks like it had the missing powder. Any ideas?

FL5eZhA.jpg

Maybe when the back of the case tore off, a jet of hot gas came out the back just as the action had started to cycle , and the flame melted the tip of the next cartridge that was being cycled?

I had the back of a case blow out in my ruger MkII. I was using remington golden bullets and I beleive it was an overcharge. I had stopped using remington golden bullets in my rifle because the velocities were all ofver the place. I was getting a 2ft vertical string at 200yds. Its junk ammo in my opinion.

At the range a guy was shooting a Ruger semi 22 pistol. He said something was wrong. We investigated the round next in the mag had the tip partially blown off. We found the ejected brass and the primer was split. His hands had powder marks but otherwise OK. It was Remington bulk stuff. The gun seemed OK too. Doesn't like it went off out of battery. He said some of the rounds seemed under powered that one looks like it had the missing powder. Any ideas?

FL5eZhA.jpg
Bulk remington , does not surprise me. I stopped shooting remington 22lr 30 years ago as it was awful then and is now.
In the picture it looks like the rim on the melted bullet round is ready to let go also. Some times firing pin can pierce the rim too.

Let

Remington bulk stuff.

The gun seemed OK too. Doesn't like it went off out of battery.

He said some of the rounds seemed under powered that one looks like it had the missing powder.

I was using remington golden bullets and I beleive it was an overcharge.

Its junk ammo in my opinion.

Bulk remington , does not surprise me. I stopped shooting remington 22lr 30 years ago as it was awful then and is now.
In the picture it looks like the rim on the melted bullet round is ready to let go also. Some times firing pin can pierce the rim too.

Let
maybe the thread should be titled remington bulk mishap? i would be contacting remington and show them the photo.

You shoot enough cheap 22lr or any cheap ammo your or someone is eventually going to have problems.
Tbe only remington 22lr I shoot is the military contracted stuff I picked up from the cmp few years back. I use it in my beater/plinkers sometimes. Other than that I stopped buying rem ammo except for rem gun club shotgun ammo....its been a good 8 years since I bought that.

Same thing happened to me last fall while I was shooting my Remington 513. I was shooting Golden Bullets at steel swingers. It happened 3 times and on the 3rd the extractor tore the rim off the case at which point I went home for the day.
I've been shooting 22s for about 45 years and this is the first time I've ever had this happen. And 3 times out of the same box. QC at Remington must be at an all time low.
I've since gone back to Federal and average 50 rounds a week in 22 over the winter. Not a single mishap.

Like others I agree that it's the Remington crap 22 ammo. I still have 3/4 of a bucket o bullets left that I bought during the post sandy hook era when 22lr was scarce. That stuff was complete garbage. I wondered if that lot was just poor qc because they were pumping them out as fast as they could due to demand and maybe the quality has come back......guess I may have my answer.

You shoot enough cheap 22lr or any cheap ammo your or someone is eventually going to have problems.
Tbe only remington 22lr I shoot is the military contracted stuff I picked up from the cmp few years back. I use it in my beater/plinkers sometimes. Other than that I stopped buying rem ammo except for rem gun club shotgun ammo....its been a good 8 years since I bought that.

I bought a bunch of that military contract 22LR ammo from CMP too.....it was dirt cheap (about $90/5000rds if I recall) its very good stuff and other than a random box or two of rifle hunting ammo that I bought in some general store in Maine, it is the only Remingtn ammo I have or will ever have.

The first time I ever tried Remington 9mm in the green and white box, I had runaways in an M11 and Uzi.....finshied shooting the few boxes in a pistol and never bought another round of it. Cheap, severely under powered and as dirty/ sooty as it gets.

I bought a bunch of that military contract 22LR ammo from CMP too.....it was dirt cheap (about $90/5000rds if I recall) its very good stuff and other than a random box or two of rifle hunting ammo that I bought in some general store in Maine, it is the only Remingtn ammo I have or will ever have.

The first time I ever tried Remington 9mm in the green and white box, I had runaways in an M11 and Uzi.....finshied shooting the few boxes in a pistol and never bought another round of it. Cheap, severely under powered and as dirty/ sooty as it gets.
The Remington green and yellow box high brass shotgun ammo is the only Remington ammo I buy. It's the only ammo I use for hunting small game and upland bird. That shotgun ammo is very good for hunting applications and reasonably priced for high brass loads.

Everything else is junk especially the lrn pistol ammo. Ive had a few boxes of 38 special that bullets were going through the target sideways. Total junk

The Remington green and yellow box high brass shotgun ammo is the only Remington ammo I buy. It's the only ammo I use for hunting small game and upland bird. That shotgun ammo is very good for hunting applications and reasonably priced for high brass loads.

Everything else is junk especially the lrn pistol ammo. Ive had a few boxes of 38 special that bullets were going through the target sideways. Total junk

Must agree.

The Remington STS for skeet/clays/trap are pretty solid, and their hulls lend them to being reloaded many times. At least that’s been my experience.

The Remington STS for skeet/clays/trap are pretty solid, and their hulls lend them to being reloaded many times. At least that’s been my experience.
There is a trap shooter at my club that reloads only Remington high brass shells. I bring him leftover high brass from my hunting trips. He says they last a long time and work best on his reloading set up

There is a trap shooter at my club that reloads only Remington high brass shells. I bring him leftover high brass from my hunting trips. He says they last a long time and work best on his reloading set up
some clubs wont allow high brass , reloads or not. Sort of a old time hang on rule when the more powerfu l rounds came with a larger/longer brass section . More so for the paper hull days.

some clubs wont allow high brass , reloads or not.
My club limits to largest size 7 ....with a 1 1/8 ounce max payload. They don't check during general practice sessions. Can't speak for the league shooting as I don't shoot league trap. But the guy that takes my high brass Remy shoots in the league so I'm guessing it's not a problem as long as your reloading to spec for ATA.

Remington-branded ammo seems to be all over the place. Totally agree about the Remington Golden Bullets. Avoid.

OTOH, judging from the amount of brass we've accumulated, and knowing that we didn't always save our brass, we must have shot 10K rounds of Remington 125 grain .38+P JHP's (comes in 100 round boxes) with no disappointments. Not as consistent at 60 or 100 yards out of a lever gun as I would like, but it will do a 3" group at 60, I think. Have had good results with the Remington 2.75" 12 gauge rifled slugs as well.

Remington-branded ammo seems to be all over the place. Totally agree about the Remington Golden Bullets. Avoid.

OTOH, judging from the amount of brass we've accumulated, and knowing that we didn't always save our brass, we must have shot 10K rounds of Remington 125 grain .38+P JHP's (comes in 100 round boxes) with no disappointments. Not as consistent at 60 or 100 yards out of a lever gun as I would like, but it will do a 3" group at 60, I think. Have had good results with the Remington 2.75" 12 gauge rifled slugs as well.
Yes the Remington "sluggers" are decent for deer hunting as well. I've dropped a few freezer stuffers with them. Their shotgun ammo is quality. Also agree that the center fire pistol ammo is hit or miss. The umc 357 mag jhp 125 grain has always been good for me but the "target" rnl is crap.

but the "target" rnl is crap.

If they were keyholing, my guess would be that the bullets were slightly undersized, which in .38 special is worthy of the "crap" designation. In .44 magnum there is a case where keyholing can happen and the ammo is still at least "OK" in quality. Unjacketed .429" lead bullets may not obturate properly in .44 magnum rifles, which for reasons unknown to me have slightly different SAAMI specs for the bore than .44 magnum handguns. I don't think that's the case in .38/.357, or at least I don't know it, but my guess is that quite generally the bullets in cheap, soft lead, factory loads are sized to the same diameter as the jacketed loads when the soft lead loads ought to be at least 0.001" larger.

Back
Top Bottom