• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.22 Ruger Mishap

If they were keyholing, my guess would be that the bullets were slightly undersized, which in .38 special is worthy of the "crap" designation. In .44 magnum there is a case where keyholing can happen and the ammo is still at least "OK" in quality. Unjacketed .429" lead bullets may not obturate properly in .44 magnum rifles, which for reasons unknown to me have slightly different SAAMI specs for the bore than .44 magnum handguns. I don't think that's the case in .38/.357, or at least I don't know it, but my guess is that quite generally the bullets in cheap, soft lead, factory loads are sized to the same diameter as the jacketed loads when the soft lead loads ought to be at least 0.001" larger.
I have reloaded my own 38 special with rnl and they work great. I hear what your saying.though. I just expect a factory 38 load to not tumble out of a 38 revolver

Back
Top Bottom