22 rim fire recommendations

Love my MP15, would also love a 10-22 but don't have one yet.

My vote would be: Yes, get all three.

Pros: You have three guns.
Cons: None.

[smile]

10/22

Pro's= Tons of aftermarket parts, Easy to work on even for a novice

Con's= After you modify one you need to buy another one to modify, and then you need to buy another one to modify, and then you need to buy another one to modify, After you modify one you need to buy another one to modify, and then you need to buy another one to modify, and then you need to buy another one to modify, After you modify one you need to buy another one to modify, and then you need to buy another one to modify, and then you need to buy another one to modify, After you modify one you need to buy another one to modify, and then you need to buy another one to modify, and then you need to buy another one to modify, After you modify one you need to buy another one to modify, and then you need to buy another one to modify, and then you need to buy another one to modify,and then.................................................................

I have a 10/22 and a M&P 15-22

I love them both and for different reasons. If you had to choose, the 10/22 is much more versatility. And so much aftermarket options for it. I might get a second one to toy with. The M&P is a good way to practice some AR stuff on the cheap. But the 10/22 is a better platform for most anything else.

M&P 15-22

Pros- Holy Crap is it fun to shoot. Cheap to shoot. Takes standard AR attachments. Did I say that it's fun to shoot.

Cons- Stunted 10-round mags get empty way too fast. Not exactly illegal, but may be Tomorrow depending upon the weather/moon-phase/Maura's mood...

10/22.

For all the reasons mentioned. I got just the basic wood-stocked carbine model, and added a $35 Volquartzen target hammer and bolt release kit. I put a simple 3-9 power scope on it. Not exactly a one-hole tack driver at 50 yards, but it's pretty close, and more accurate than I am, and I'm under $300 all-in.

If you get serious-serious about rimfire target shooting, you can change out just about every part of it to fine-tune it to suit your wants. Trigger. Barrel. Stock. Sights, etc.

If I was buying one now, I might spring for the takedown model.

10/22 is your best bet. They are inexpensive and accurate right out of the box. Put a BSA sweet 22 scope on it with an upgraded sear and you will be amazed. The 15-22 is also cool but it is more money and not as accurate.
The 10/22 will also cycle just about anything. Another cheap upgrade to teh 10/22 is to replace the steel bolt buffer with a polymer one.

Something tells me that once you get one you get the never ending urge to buy another one to modify.[laugh]

10/22

Con's= After you modify one you need to buy another one to modify, and then you need to buy another one to modify, and then you need to buy another one to modify, After you modify one you need to buy another one to modify, and then you need to buy another one to modify, and then you need to buy another one to modify, After you modify one you need to buy another one to modify, and then you need to buy another one to modify, and then you need to buy another one to modify, After you modify one you need to buy another one to modify, and then you need to buy another one to modify, and then you need to buy another one to modify, After you modify one you need to buy another one to modify, and then you need to buy another one to modify, and then you need to buy another one to modify,and then.................................................................

10/22

...but can they be modified?

just my 2c here. take or leave as one likes:

stock 10/22's are functional but almost everyone dumps $$ into upgrading them. and in that case one is always stuck with the craptastic Ruger pot metal receiver of the stock 10/22. so I would at least consider going with an upgraded "10/22" up front, like the Tacsol X-ring or a Magnum Research MLR-22. I have the Magnum research rifle and the build quality is amazing. the aluminum receiver looks like a piece of art. it also weighs under 5 lbs even with the hogue stock. the Tacsol and MR rifles are more expensive but I can say with certainty that upgrading a stock 10/22 quickly becomes more expensive and the final product isn't nearly as cool as having a fully machined aluminum receiver, graphite tension barrel, etc.

http://www.tinstarshootingrange.net...numlite-semi-automatic-22-long-rifle-17-hogue
http://www.magnumresearch.com/Firearms/Magnum-Research-22LR-Hogue-OverMolded-Rifle.asp

Right now Carl (four seasons) has some tactical solutions takedown 10/22's. those are nifty and some come already with the magpul takedown stock which is simply fabulous.

--

A marlin model 60 should also be on the radar. fantastic shooters. mine is a plain jane model wearing tech sights (peep aperture sights) and it's a great little 22 autoloader.

Last edited:
If you've got a chance to get an MP-5 lookalike, AK lookalke or (even better) the GSG STG-44 lookalike for a good price, I'd say get it. They look really cool and are sure to put a smile on your face.

Otherwise, like everyone else says, get the 10/22. It is the standard by which all other .22 semi autos (or just .22s?) are measured.

I have no use for S&W or ARs, so the 15/22 appeals to me less than blue waffles.

out of your choices i would go with the 10/22
pros- several models to choose from, almost endless mods and aftermarket stuff. Hi cap pre ban mags are out there if needed.
can be modified to look like AR and there was a Mp5 kit also by Kestrel IIRC?
cons there is a ton of stuff to spend your money on with a 10/22

AR style 22lr ---- there is a good amount of stuff for them as add ons but nothing like the 10/22

mp5 22 looks cool but honeslty i dont think they are that great for anything more than plinking cans or steel plate?

The real question is what type of shooting do you want to do. I have owned and sold off several 10/22s over the years swearing I would not get another only to have another one creep into the safe and its on its way to becoming a full size heavy 20" barrel target rifle.

Might as well pick up a nice lever action while you are at it. I have a Henry- fin to shoot, very accurate and you won't piss through ammo quite as fast.

Something tells me that once you get one you get the never ending urge to buy another one to modify.[laugh]

I might have modified one or two and I might have one or two more coming.

I bought my first one and did some modifications to it so I bought another one to keep stock, but ended up modifying it so I bought another and the trend continued. The last one I bought is now everything, but the original receiver.

You'd still be stuck with undercapacity mags as long as you're in MA.

If you already own an AR-15, another option is to buy a dedicated .22 caliber upper. More reliable and accurate than a drop-in conversion bolt.

I have a tactical solutions 22lr upper....love it.

I dont want to derail much but which tacsol upper do you have? was seriously considering one of their builds/mods for the 10/22. I got the 10/22 takedown with the threaded heavy barrel for a shtf rig. figures it loves Velocitors so much for being quiet.

I dont want to derail much but which tacsol upper do you have? was seriously considering one of their builds/mods for the 10/22. I got the 10/22 takedown with the threaded heavy barrel for a shtf rig. figures it loves Velocitors so much for being quiet.

I bought mine several years ago and it was called the tacLite AR22 it's the one in the top picture here.
http://www.tacticalsol.com/ar-22-series-uppers/
I have several 22s it's hard to say what I like best.
It's hard not to take the Remington 513t or 552 out when I go. I also have a lver johnson/erma werkes 22lr M1 carbine... model 60s , 25 and others.

Last edited:
I still have my 1989 10/22

It will be passed down.

I also have an M&P 15-22. Hate the small mags, and it doesn't feed as consistently, but it is a fun gun to shoot.

If you're in MA, buy the 15-22 first, i case tyrant twat healey decides they're too killy. Then buy the 10-22

10/22s are ok if you want to replace everything to make it shoot accurately and have a bolt release that works lol.

I have one of these and I say it blows the 10/22 away out of the box. No mods needed, but you can if you want, :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have an M&P 15-22. Hate the small mags, and it doesn't feed as consistently, but it is a fun gun to shoot.

Try different ammo. Mine hates the cheap Remington golden bullet crap. It does seem to love Aguila Super Extra and any other copper plated rounds. Mini-mags run flawlessly, of course.

Back
Top Bottom