• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.22 Rifle...Ruger 10-22 vs. others....what to buy?

Hi! I was wondering what you all think about buying say a ruger 10-22 as opposed to a much more expensive say, m&p 15-22 or others. Are those higher priced, tactical, rifles worth the extra money? I just want a cheap fun to shoot .22....thanks!

Depends on what you plan to use the rifle for, plinking at the range... you can't beat a 10/22. Cheap training with an AR... get a Nordic upper

If cheap, fun, .22 are your priorities... then pick up a Ruger 10/22. Better yet, an even cheaper (yet arguably just as good) option is the Marlin 795.

I own both... 10/22T with Mueller APV... and a 795 with Tech Sights... both are fun... and reliable. The 795 wins if price is top priority though.

I have a Marlin 795 (currently $100 at Dick's I believe). I don't have anything to compare it to, but it seems to shoot just fine. Already have about 600 rounds or so through it. The rebate takes a while though. Sent mine in August and still haven't received it but it is on its way.

edit: The 795 is $100 after the $25 rebate at Dicks. Well worth the $100. You can spend the difference between this on 10/22 on a decent scope and maybe a bidpod and or sling.

There are some good threads at rimfirecentral that discuss the 795. Some people have had problems with keeping the scope from sliding on the mount. Other people say if you use good rings you are fine. I use a cheap Barska scope. It slid on me once but after I tightened it down it stays in its place.

Last edited:
Looks like a couple of guys have beat me to the recommendation, but you should DEFINITELY look at the Marlins. They don't have as many accessories available for them as a 10/22, but the common Marlin owner's opinion is that they aren't needed because they are a more accurate and better built gun out of the box. I personally won't go that far because I've never owned a 10/22, but I've never wished I did either [grin]

Buy a 10/22 first then if you feel that your newly purchased 10/22 needs a friend in the safe buy something else. I went the gsg-5 route myself for a second. My 10/22 is a tack driver and my gsg-5 is a fun plinker.

If you live in Mass, you're restricted to 10 round mags, but tube fed .22's are exempt from the magazine capacity law.
I've had a 10/22 and a Marlin #60, didn't really care for either. I currently have a stainless Remington 597, but the trigger pull sucks and it requires that retarded "key" to unlock the safety. It sits in the safe, unloved.
My favorite .22 semi by far is the Browning BAR-22.

CZ 452

But then I have a preference for quality bolt action rifles over cheap tin can plinkers.

Great, accurate bolt gun. I have a 10/22 as well, and have nothing bad to say about it. However, I've got a real "hankerin'" for a lever action, like a Henry, or a 94/22.

Bill

However, I've got a real "hankerin'" for a lever action, like a Henry, or a 94/22.

Bill

Bill, pass on both and get a Marlin 39A. Now THAT is a plinker.........

zoom_39A.jpg

I love the 10/22 but honestly, there are some mods that I will always make to every new 10/22 I ever get. OTOH... I was blissfully ignorant for some 25 years with my 10/22 before I discovered what good sights, a new extractor, an extended mag release and a modified bolt release do for the enjoyment factor.

There are some good threads at rimfirecentral that discuss the 795. Some people have had problems with keeping the scope from sliding on the mount. Other people say if you use good rings you are fine. I use a cheap Barska scope. It slid on me once but after I tightened it down it stays in its place.

There was a young man, now a Rifleman, on the line at the Leyden Appleseed Shoot with his brand new 795. I didn't see any malfunctions with it, but he did mention that the scope was sliding back as mentioned above. Perhaps replacing the scope base with a Weaver would cure that problem.

CZ 452
But then I have a preference for quality bolt action rifles over cheap tin can plinkers.

A Savage Mark II is also a good high quality bolt action .22, as well.

The M&P 15-22 is a nice looking rifle, too, if an AR pattern is important to you. Seems to be very well made, and the mags do not gum up even in rainy/muddy conditions, from what I've observed at Appleseed Shoots at Harvard (which seems to always attract the rain... [thinking]

But whatever you do, stay away from the Remington 597 - it's a POS. Tends to barf it's extractor.

On the racks of gun shops everywhere (except New York, Washington DC, and Chicago) are almost countless numbers of used .22 rimfire rifles that will still have tens of thousands of rounds to be fired through them before they even start showing signs of internal wear.

CZ 452

+1 to this advice. Great rifle, very accurate and solid build quality. They are a shooter right out of the box.

for out of the box "tacticool" fun - M&P15-22 hands down. it's scary accurate and won't break bank...

10/22's are a lot of fun if you like to tinker with stuff.. otherwise, a marlin 795, mossberg 702 and similar are great guns...

for bolt guns, the Savage Mk II or CZ 452, -i don't own either, have shot other peoples and they are pretty solid guns

Typical recommendation thread:
OP said:
Asks a specific question like, "I would like a gun that is exactly 4.5lbs, 22" barrel, 9 round capacity, black with a walnut stock."
Everyone on NES said:
[Talks about their personal favorite gun which is not like what the OP asked]

[smile]

I picked up a Marlin 795 last weekend. With the coupons I had it only cost around $100, and then plus the rebate it will only end up being $75. I also picked up a Simmons scope, which retailed for $50, with another coupon cost me $40. The accuracy really surprised me, and my brother and I put about 200 rounds through without a single issue.

I like the Marlin 60's - tube fed. Plenty accurate out of the box. The DLX one has very fancy walnut stock for about $200. I've gone the route of shelling out big $ for tricked out 10/22 about 15 ys ago and it was a big waste of money IMHO. Most single shot bolt .22s will out perform any of the auto loaders.

The ugly Remington Nylon 66 is pretty accurate out of the box - worth buying, but they aren't cheap any more.

It comes down to personal taste: I rather shoot a bolt action, or lever action over a semi-auto.

lever/bolt actions are cheaper to shoot than semi autos as you don't go thru as much ammo as fast....you take your time and don't go into spray and pray mode.

Get a Marlin or a Henry lever action. You won't be sorry.

Isn't it safe to say a lot of us love the 22s because you CAN go through a lot of ammo? For a centerfire rifle I'd agree with you Pilgrim, but the OP stated he's just looking for a fun-to-shoot, cheap 22. I doubt that round counts are a concern cost-wise.

Hi! I was wondering what you all think about buying say a ruger 10-22 as opposed to a much more expensive say, m&p 15-22 or others. Are those higher priced, tactical, rifles worth the extra money? I just want a cheap fun to shoot .22....thanks!

You kind of answered your own question. See the red text for hints.

I was in your exact shoes two weekends ago at the Fitchburg gun show. I knew I was going to buy a .22, and both the M&P 15-22 and the Rugers were plenty. I went for a used Ruger with a scope and a sling. A fellow at the show I was jawing with said the 10/22 is the Chevy of the firearms world. Cheap to buy, cheap to fix, cheap to accessorize and modify, and like all .22's they are cheap to shoot. He was correct.

Out of the box, the 10/22's have a heavy, notchy trigger (mine did anyway). The same evening I bought my 10/22 I had it completely stripped down, and was stone-grinding the sear/hammer interface (Found a couple of how-to youtube videos for disassembly - you can strip it down to bits and pieces in minutes - same for assembly). A few days later a $10 spring kit I found on Gunbroker arrived in the mail and now the trigger is smooth and light. You can buy trigger kits, extended mag releases, extended heavy bolts, the list goes on forever.

If you're thinking about the price diff, consider you may likely end up accessorizing your 10/22 to the point that it costs nearly as much as the M&P 15-22, if not more. Ideally, it would be good if you could try both guns out before you buy one. My Ruger 10/22 with a 4x scope is very accurate and a pleasure to shoot.

I have a Savage Mark II bolt action that has been great and shot quite a bit - the bolt was a good feature when the kids were first shooting as it made them think a bit about what they were doing - the target trigger was great and adjustable down to ~1.5 lbs. Total cost with scope was around $350. Shoots amazingly well

Don't be afraid to look in the used gun sections of your favorite shops. As much as the 10/22 is so adaptable, it would be one of the first .22's I get rid of if I have to thin the herd. My favorite 3 are:

1) Winchester 75 ( bought at the Amoskeag auction for $300+ fees.)
2) CZ-452
3) H&R Model 151 Leatherneck

The 151 is what would replace my 10/22 as the go-to semi-auto .22. It shoots great, accurate, and feels like a real rifle versus the carbine. It was at the upper range of pricing for a used .22 but I don't regret buying it. There are other rifles in the racks that are reasonably priced that would work well for a plinker.

Joe R.

Back
Top Bottom