22 rifle on state land

Mark from MA

NES Member
My kids first year hunting with a bow its pretty cheap so i also picked him up the firearms license as well. We dont have private land up northeast, and well be looking, so im holding off on the deer tag for now. Question is. For small game on state land (squirrels) can you hunt with a 22 or must it be a shotgun? I could find much in regs for method of take on small game. Thanks

I don't have an exact answer for you, but hopefully this will help.

1) when you got your hunting license, you should have received a book with it that is the 2012/13 hunting/fishing/trapping guide. The answer is in there under small game hunting
2) Call the DEEP. They are always happy to answer hunters questions. They want you to be legal.

In general, though, I'm 90% sure that squirrel hunting is allowed with a rifle. Though I'm not sure of the specifics.

If you bought the license on line, there was a link to the hunting guide online right where you got your license.

Don

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2700&q=491352&depNav_GID=1633 - hunting and trapping guide in both browsable html and PDF

You sure can. A 22 will also make him a better marksman, instead of just blasting away with a shotgun. Just remember early season there are still alot of leaves on the trees, getting a clear shot will take some patience.

Also remember that target shooting is not allowed on state land. Although I've never known anyone to actually be ticketed for it. I know several people who have been stopped, but just let go wit a warning. None of them pushed their luck after their initial encounter with a conservation officer. By the way. The COs are almost all universally good guys. Its pretty much impossible to get hired without a lot of hunting experience, regardless of how much military of LE experience you have. Unlike most cops, they dont freak out at the sight of a gun.

Don

CT DEP hunting guide specifically states .22 and .17 rimefire are legal on state land.

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2700&q=491352&depNav_GID=1633

Rifles and Handguns: Rifl es or handguns using
ammunition larger or heavier than .22 caliber
rimfi re long rifl e cartridges are prohibited on
state-owned land. Rifl es or handguns of any
caliber are prohibited on State-leased and Permit-
Required Hunting Areas (see Permit-Required
and State-Leased Hunting Area sections for
exceptions). The use of rifl es or handguns to
hunt turkeys, waterfowl, or any other federally
regulated migratory game bird (except crows)
is prohibited. Hunting on private land with
ammunition larger than .22 caliber rimfi re long
rifl e during the private land shotgun/rifl e deer
season is prohibited unless the user has a valid
private land deer season permit and landowner
consent form. The use of rifl es or revolvers to
hunt deer is subject to additional restrictions
(see Private Land Shotgun/Rifl e Season). The use
of ammunition larger or heavier than .22 caliber
rimfi re long rifl e to hunt raccoon or opossum at
night is prohibited. A person using a handgun
for hunting must possess any required state/