• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

22 rifle for a 10 year old

IF you get him a small one, do NOT spend ANYTHING on it, since he will outgrow it in 2 years. Used is fine

If you want something he will use the rest of his life, get him a nice bolt action SS rifle.

A 10/22 is probably close to the right size for a ten year old. My son was 7 (I think), when we got his 10/22 I bought a new take off stock locally and took the bench sander to it, shortened it up a bit. Now that he's 9, he's about ready for the original, unaltered stock to go back on.

Bough my son a savage rascal, fun little gun but it sure is small. He likes it though, the 10/22 is still a little long for him

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If a ruger 10/22 is not too big i would recommend that for a semi auto. or to teach him the basics you can go with a ruger american bolt action .22 he will shoot slower and it also comes with different length of pull stocks. Also if he gets a 10/22 later they both take the same 10 round box mags so he can use the magazines for both rifles.
http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRimfire/models.html

StockSystem.jpg

Last edited:
Just a note.... most rifles are more easily managed shooting prone with sling and a bag to support the forward arm, not the rifle.

10/22 or a bolt, kids grow like weeds. I bought a cricket years ago, it's been through my two sons their two cousins and a few more cousins will get use out of it. So unless you have a big family and it will get used often, I'd jump right into something they'll never outgrow.

I have a Taurus/Rossi Model 62 Carbine waiting in the safe for my Grandson. It's a copy of the old Winchester pump 22's. If you can find one. Some came with two stocks.

Last edited:
I have a tube fed Marlin 60 .22 that youre more than welcome to use for a while to teach him. I never use it but I wont sell it as it was one of my fathers.

I have a tube fed Marlin 60 .22 that youre more than welcome to use for a while to teach him. I never use it but I wont sell it as it was one of my fathers.
Thanks for the offer. i will keep it in mind. A friend of mine has a single shot break top he may let me borrow as well.

Every kid is different as far as how much responsibility they have at whatever their age is. Your kid, so you be the judge.

My shooting course went like this.

BB gun at 7. A little safety training from my dad. I most used the BB gun unsupervised.

Single shot break action .22 kids rifle at 8. A lot more safety training from my Dad. Always used under supervision.

.20 gauge pump shotgun at 9. I still own it. Always supervised during use when loaded. Was getting some gun training from Scout leader too. At this point I was getting more intensively trained with safety and use. And how to clean/oil firearms.

Scoped .30 Cal Carbine at age 10. I still own this also. At that point I was taking hunter safety courses. After passing that, I was allowed to hunt with the shotgun by myself. I now took care off the cleaning and general care of all the guns in our house.

I considered myself a little ahead of the curve just being brought up in a house with guns by a father who was brought up the same way. And for whatever reason, at that age I had a reasonable amount of respect for what a firearm is capable of doing and knew it wasn't a toy. I still played with toy guns then, but realized the difference.

I am going to be teaching my grand son how to shoot soon and I am going to be in the market for a small 22 rifle. I have heard of the crickets. Are there any other good youth rifles available. I am going to start him on a pellet/bb to get the basics but want to move up to a 22. My 10/22's are a little long on the trigger reach for his hands and i would rather get something more comfortable.

The Crickett has extra 'safety' devices that do not add value; they just frustrate the user and complicate the youth's learning of the manual-of-arms and introduce confusion later, when the youth is exposed to other, more contemporary, firearms.

The Savage Rascal works just like any other rifle.

The Rascal wins, hands down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom