• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

22 rifle for a 10 year old

I am going to be teaching my grand son how to shoot soon and I am going to be in the market for a small 22 rifle. I have heard of the crickets. Are there any other good youth rifles available.
I am going to start him on a pellet/bb to get the basics but want to move up to a 22. My 10/22's are a little long on the trigger reach for his hands and i would rather get something more comfortable.

A 10 year old is going to grow up really quick, I'd get something where you could change out the stock to shorten the LOP and when he gets older switch it back. Those crickets are tiny!

I believe Henry makes multiple youth models. I also know Savage and Marlin have youth model bolt actions. I can't attest to quality or anything though.

I got a Henry Youth for my son. Scaled down, from full-size, but no where near as much as a cricket. In fact, it is a ton of fun to shoot, even for full sized people. Also a well made rifle, with nice wood, fit and finish.

Chris

A 10 year old is going to grow up really quick, I'd get something where you could change out the stock to shorten the LOP and when he gets older switch it back. Those crickets are tiny!
I have plenty of full size rifles he can shoot in .22. I was hoping to just find something used maybe to let him shoot for a while until his hands get a little bigger. If he enjoys it, which I am sure he will, I will buy him a 10/22 of his own when his hands get bigger.

I had a Henry Mini-bolt for the 5 - 8 range (basically a cricket).

When my oldest son turned 9, I gave him a CZ Scout (bolt with a 10 rd mag, iron sights). It's an awesome, accurate bolt 22.

Now he is shooting a Mossberg MVP to get a feel for higher power (he's 11 now) and my other son (now 9 has inherited the Scout.

My 6 yo daughter inherited the Mini-bolt.

my 10 year old daugher prefers the 10/22 over her cricket. this way she can shoot through dads ammo quicker

I got a Henry Youth for my son. Scaled down, from full-size, but no where near as much as a cricket. In fact, it is a ton of fun to shoot, even for full sized people. Also a well made rifle, with nice wood, fit and finish.

Chris

the henry standard size 22 model H001 is one of the coolest rifles I own. everyone who shoots my henry digs it. i think the youth model would be a good choice. the cricket rifles look fine too but more kiddy-ish and cheap feeling.

buffalo dig a shoot-and-talk on the youth 22. one thing though that's incorrect, you're suppose to clear the rifle, lower hammer and close the action before loading. in the video he loads with the action open. both the manual and "lever experts" i've asked have told me to load with action closed as it's actually safer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my daughter a Ruger American Rimfire. It's a nice bolt action rifle that takes standard 10/22 magazines. The stock has removable stock options to adjust comb and length of pull. So as my daughter grows we can adjust the rifle accordingly.

Plus...They come in muddy-girl pink camo, which she loves.

My father got my older daughter a Henry Golden Boy. The lever action makes bench-rest shooing more cumbersome than a bolt action, but it is fun to plink with, and takes 22 Short and 22 Long (as well as 22LR) if you wanted to start with really light loads.

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRimfire/overview.html

My son shot the Henry mini bolt and it and it taught a bunch of scouts as well. Sold it in 3 days for about 80% of what I paid for it in the classifieds here.

Smith & Wesson 15-22, currently you don't even need the pinned stock so it can grow with him. Subject to change - and don't know who is selling any currently.

My daughter really likes her Savage Rascal. But like the cricket, it is very small and I expect her to out grow it. For now she is 8 and it's a perfect size for her. I am sure by 11 or 12 it will be pushed asside completely for something along the lines of a 10/22.

they make a 16" carbine version of the 10-22. and stocks are dirt cheap for them, so you could trim one down to a little one's size. My son started shooting his full size 10-22 @ age 7, but has since moved on to his preferred Henry
i actually have an old take off 10/22 stock. maybe I can modify it a bit.

15+ years ago I got a Taurus pump 22 with a 10 round capacity in the tube . Stainless and nice Birch stocks . Paid hardly nothing for it and my son and daughters have shot the heck out of it . It still is flawless and I can see it going to his sons or daughters . While I am no fan of Taurus's generally , this one is a keeper .

Bolt? Look at the Savage Mark 2 line. Accutrigger is great for the price and many configurations available.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

And that folks is called legislating by fear - no house, senate or governors required. If they catch me - I might go to court, I might not, but I can play FAQ as well as anyone.

the savage rascal is a decent little gun. The aperture sights work really well. the trigger is really nice for a 175$ rifle. Good thing about the savage is when they out grow it you either sell it off to someone else needing a small entry rifle or put it in the closet until another young'n comes along.

There are not to many "youth" rifles that fit young kids ....I swear the "youth" guns most manufactures put out are for those 14 years old and older and on the larger size.
More often than not the grip to trigger pull is always to long. The comb is always to low and the sights generally suck.

Last edited:
I have a CZ Scout, Henry Golden Boy Youth Model and a Ruger 10/22.
I would go with the CZ first.
It's simple to operate and very light weight.
Safer on the range with single shot and only one round of ammo at a time loading.
Making every shot count with more sight and trigger practice.
I would get some cool zombie splat targets and have him got at em.[smile]

The CZ Scout and the Ruger Single Ten are my favorite 22LR's to shoot that I own!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom