• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.22 Revolver

richc

NES Member
I'd like to get a .22 revolver. Right now the revolvers I own are S&W and I have a 442, 686 & 29 and am very happy with them. Having said that one of these days I'll "pony up" for a nice old Colt Python with the great bluing.

So... what do y'all suggest for a .22 revolver these days? New or old does not matter to me, as long as it is in great shape. Extra points for great engineering and reliability.

Thanks,

Rich

Why not a S&W 617? I've an older 6 shot pre lock 6" barrel that is very accurate. Haven't had it out for a while maybe the next range trip I'll break it out.

If you want a J-frame analog for your 442, get a 317.

If you want a trainer for your 686, get a 617.

Don't get anything else.

I picked up a model 34 for real short money and love it. Great plinker and trainer.
BlameitontheWolf040.jpg

I bought this Ruger Bearcat for the kids. Its also nice. I'd recommend either, depending on whether you have a SA or SA/DA preference.

RugerBearcat.jpg

The Ruger single six which comes with a .22lr and .22 magnum cylinder is just about perfect.

I'd go with the 617. Great double action with 10 shot capacity with similar weight and feel of some of the other revolvers you already own (686).

I'd go for the S&W Model 18 over the 617.

They are both K frames with adjustable sights. But I just cannot get over the full underlug look of the 617, and blued is a plus over stainless.

They are available new as well as second hand. Truly a classic handgun.

pix3093639890.jpg

A lot of people assume the 617 and the 686 are the same pistol in different calibers because they look so much alike.

They are not. The 617 is a K frame and the 686 is an L frame. All they have in common is the grip size and some minor internal and external parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I go S&W, and there is a good chance I will, I would prefer a revolver without a lock.

Is that possible with the 617 and others?

Thanks,

Rich

My S&W model 34-1 is a great little J-frame .22. I'm actually considering letting it go, though... as my collection may take a turn in a different direction.

IMG_3103.jpg

IMG_4298.jpg

IMG_4302.jpg

I love my Model 18.

I have most of the other S&W 22s, but the Model 18 is most like my K frame .357s and my Model 29. It shoots great, and has the classic S&W look. Model 34s are J frames and too small for serious shooting, though lots of fun. Mod 17 and K22 are good, but the 6 inch barrel isn't as handy as the 4".

Just my opinion.

I'm absolutely open to C&R classics. I love the old guns. I love the way they were built to last. I love the way they look.

Come to Gunpowder Pig '09 and I'll make a point of bringing a couple.

Thanks! It will depend on the dates, as I have two daughters off to college in September and I've gotta get them delivered and setup in their dorm rooms.

Then I'll drink heavily just thinking about how much money I'm spending on tuition this year...

[frown]

One of the guys at our club has a Diamondback. The bluing is gorgeous. The trigger is amazing.

Yup... the diamondback is clearly an excellent suggestion!

I'd forgotten about that one.

Thanks,

Rich

Back
Top Bottom