• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.22 revolver question.

roccoracer

NES Member
I am in the market for a good quality .22 revolver. I have not owned a lot of revolvers so my experience is limited with them. It will be used for lots of plinking and small game issues.
The Ruger single six seems like a nice revolver but at $650 it seems expensive to me. I like the idea of the Ruger wrangler.
I would like a 4 plus inch barrel single or double action are fine.
Please share your experience with any models you have owned.
Thank you.

I bought a Ruger SP101 in .22 and gave it to Tim at Gartman Arms to tune. One heck of a gun. Remember not to dry fire .22 revolvers, they even eat .22 snap caps.

I have two .22 revolvers, both double-action.
I bought a new Ruger SP101 with a 4" barrel thinking that I could fix the trigger. I was wrong. It's absolutely AWFUL.
I bought a used S&W 617, 10 shot, 6" barrel, years ago. It's a pleasure to shoot. Just makes me smile when I shoot it.

If you can find an old Ruger single six, it should be way less than $650. I found mine at a LGS for $400 several years back. It’s the convertible model with both .22WMR and .22LR cylinders. My only gripe with that gun is it shoots high, even with the rear sight bottomed out. Apparently you can make shims for the front sight. I’ve just never bothered to get around to it.

ruger has that wrangler at a pretty sweet price point for sure. they haven't been around long enough for any problems to manifest yet, but i understand all the internals are the same ones used in the single six line and those have proven themselves for over 60 years. be warned, an out of the box ruger single action pistols trigger pull is not a thing of beauty.

my first ever .22 was a 6" smith model 17 k-22 i bought used in 1977. that was the gold standard for .22 revolvers for me. loved the gun, shot great and i put thousands and thousands of rounds through it over the years. sadly i had to sell it to pay a debt.

I'd look for an older S&W model 17 K22 Masterpiece. One of the finest .22 revolvers ever made. An old model 18 Combat Masterpiece would be nice too. Or if you want something a bit smaller look for a model 34 Kit Gun. These old Smiths are head and shoulders above any new handgun from any manufacturer. And the legendary S&W triggers make these revolvers incredibly accurate.

Always wanted .22 revolver. Bought the SP101 because the 617 was so pricey. Mistake. Sold the SP101, hope to acquire a 617 one day.

Has anyone tried a Charter Arms .22? Don't want to waste money on junk, though in their case it's a lot less money.

Pick up a few rough riders, we bought a few of these back in the mid 90s , brother and I along with countless friends shot many thousands of rounds through them. IIRC they where $59? They run a touch over $100 these days.

Nice revolvers are expensive. Now the older nice ones are becoming collectors. No good for prices.
Theres a mega ton of options of older less known brand name 22 revolvers out there also. Go shopping.

I had a Ruger single six .22/.22 mag stainless with a 5 1/2" barrel. Traded it away in a moment of stupidity. Great gun.

i got a 60s gen SW 38sp chief special. Load with those shot shells good for critters.
Its got some holster where and finger print marks , I will let it go ?

I am in the market for a good quality .22 revolver. I have not owned a lot of revolvers so my experience is limited with them. It will be used for lots of plinking and small game issues.
The Ruger single six seems like a nice revolver but at $650 it seems expensive to me. I like the idea of the Ruger wrangler.
Thank you.
Why buy new? There are lots of good used guns out there. Don't be afraid to look at Harrington and Richardson revolvers either.

Own both the Smith 617 (4 inch) and a Ruger Single Six Hunter. Both are awesome and are a nice compliment to each other. The 617 is pricey but if you’re patient you will get a good deal and a great gun. Good luck in your hunt!

Always wanted .22 revolver. Bought the SP101 because the 617 was so pricey. Mistake. Sold the SP101, hope to acquire a 617 one day.

Has anyone tried a Charter Arms .22? Don't want to waste money on junk, though in their case it's a lot less money.[/QUOTE

Has anyone tried a Charter Arms .22? Don't want to waste money on junk, though in their case it's a lot less money.

If you tried a Ruger sp101 in 22 and thought it was a mistake......don't even think about anything charter arms makes.

Thank you.
I have a Ruger single 10. Yeah a bit on the pricey side think I paid $600 for it like 6 years ago. Hell of a nice quality piece though. Fantastic trigger. Great fit and finish. I use it for range fun but also as a side arm in an old flap over leather holster when I'm hunting squirrel and rabbit. Loaded with shorts it makes a great tool to finish wounded small game vs a second hit with the shotgun.

The Wrangler would be a great bargain if it shoots the same as a single 10 or 6

Last edited:
I have one that I would like to get a lighter trigger pull. Is this what he did for you? I like the gun a lot, but the DA pull is terrible.

You can get spring kits for most revolvers that lessen and clean up the trigger pull;

https://www.gunsprings.com/RUGER/SINGLE ACTION SERIES/cID3/mID52/dID228

I have a Ruger single 10.

Could you mean a Ruger 9.5? The 10" is a semi-auto. I have a MKII-10" and a Single Six 9.5". Some niece or nephew will get some nice plinkers.

Ruger® New Model Single-Six® Convertible Single-Action Revolver Model 0623

You can get spring kits for most revolvers that lessen and clean up the trigger pull;

https://www.gunsprings.com/RUGER/SINGLE ACTION SERIES/cID3/mID52/dID228

Could you mean a Ruger 9.5? The 10" is a semi-auto. I have a MKII-10" and a Single Six 9.5". Some niece or nephew will get some nice plinkers.

Ruger® New Model Single-Six® Convertible Single-Action Revolver Model 0623
No. I mean a Ruger single 10. A single action 10 shot 22 pistol.

Ruger® New Model Single-Six® Single-Ten® Single-Action Revolver Models

Had a 4" 617. Fantastic gun and super accurate. Only complaint were that it was a pain to clean, but that probably goes for all revolvers. It is on the heavy side, so if you have a girl or kids planning to shoot it, than maybe look for a lighter .22.

Had a 4" 617. Fantastic gun and super accurate. Only complaint were that it was a pain to clean, but that probably goes for all revolvers. It is on the heavy side, so if you have a girl or kids planning to shoot it, than maybe look for a lighter .22.
Repetition will fix the heavy gun issue.

I'd look for an older S&W model 17 K22 Masterpiece. One of the finest .22 revolvers ever made. An old model 18 Combat Masterpiece would be nice too. Or if you want something a bit smaller look for a model 34 Kit Gun. These old Smiths are head and shoulders above any new handgun from any manufacturer. And the legendary S&W triggers make these revolvers incredibly accurate.

I strongly concur with both recommendation.

The world is generally divided into two types of .22 revolvers: the S&W Models 17 (6 or 8-3/8" barrel) and 18 (4" barrel) and all the others.

Back
Top Bottom