• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.22 revolver question.

Try one of these. Can't beat the price, or the sight radius.

View attachment 292170
Heritage Firearms Rough Rider Small Bore 22 LR 16
love that thing.. reminds me of this
shootsschools1.png

I have Colt and S&W .22 revolvers but for what you want to spend I think your best bet would be a used Single Six. It's a well made gun and usually comes with 2 cylinders. Mine shot more accurately with the magnum cylinder.

22 revolvers tend to have very heavy DA triggers to ensure reliable ignition. to me it's a fun gun i would go with a single action where the ruger single six or ten series really shine. the wrangler no doubt is a winner assuming the build quality is solid. good thing is ruger will take care of the gun should anything be sub par. for the price i would also be looking for a wrangler.

I have a Ruger Single Six with the 9.5'' barrel. At the time I was going back and forth between it and a bolt action rifle in 22lr as I wanted something that could shoot basically any 22lr load out there. Overall it's a fun little plinker and ought to be good for small pest extermination if needed/able. The one downside is I do find the cylinder can get gunked up pretty good after not a ton of rounds so getting fresh cartridges in can be bit of a pain. It's not really the situation if you use the WMR cylinder.

I hav a Ruger single six that I bring to the range often, great gun, but I have S&W pre 18 combat masterpiece that is the most accurate 22 revolver I own. It's a keeper. You can't beat the old Smith and Wessons.

45 Collector
If you can find an old Ruger single six, it should be way less than $650. I found mine at a LGS for $400 several years back. It’s the convertible model with both .22WMR and .22LR cylinders. My only gripe with that gun is it shoots high, even with the rear sight bottomed out. Apparently you can make shims for the front sight. I’ve just never bothered to get around to it.

Wiegand makes/sells a great base for scopes or red dot sights for the Single Six --- no drilling / tapping required I love mine

I bought a Ruger SP101 in 22lr since I used to carry an SP101 in 357mag. The factory trigger is just as bad as its bigger brother. What Ruger is better at, is that it's beefy. The amount of material just seems to be over-enginnered for the ammo load.

If you want a fine revolver, consider old Colt Officers Model. You may be able to find a good deal, but it's going to be hard. I never shot a Smith K22 Masterpiece, but the Colt, in my opinion is hard to beat. The trigger is almost as perfect as a Python.

S&W 63 basically a 22 j frame 3" barrel 8 shot, fiber optic front sight, Wilson makes springs to lighten the double action pull a bit

Back
Top Bottom