.22 Plinker Pistol Recommendations

Both the M&P22 and the M&P22 Compact are hammer-fired guns, albeit internal hammers.

The SR22 would have held more interest for me, but the "up is off/down is on" safety is counter-intuitive, and unlike most (all?) other pistol safeties.

Ahh ok thanks.

On the SR22 safety, it works similarly to a Sig decocker (ie it decocks), so for me it's a reasonable equivalent. I do not use the safety on mine as a safety, not that I carry it outside of the range, but the trigger is heavy enough no need - just flip the safety on/off to decock if desired then holster.

I don’t care for my SR-22 anymore now that the novelty has worn off. I wouldn’t recommend it.
I would however recommend the Glock 44 which I love to shoot, or the Ruger MK IV Lite, which I don’t have, haven’t shot yet, but have heard many good things. They are both very different guns, depending upon what you’re looking for.

Some of what I'm reading here comes down to if you want a .22 that feels like a .22 or if you want a .22 that feels like a larger pistol, ie do you look at it like a training tool or do you want a plinker. I read similar things whenever a .22 upper versus 15-22 comes up.

For what I use .22 for it's just a plinker, I want it engineered around being a .22 without much thought into if it simulates some "real" pistol, when I shoot it I'm not training I'm just breaking up clay pigeons in a berm. Nor am I competing with it.

So I guess that is something to consider. Is it a training tool or toy, no wrong answer.

If you can get your hands on one, the Browning 1911-22 would be my suggestion. I have the base model and though the sights suck if you have less then perfect vision, it’s a great little plinker. It eats anything and takes 10 round mags. It’s scaled down exactly 75% of a 1911A1.

If you can get your hands on one, the Browning 1911-22 would be my suggestion. I have the base model and though the sights suck if you have less then perfect vision, it’s a great little plinker. It eats anything and takes 10 round mags. It’s scaled down exactly 75% of a 1911A1.

I love The 1911 platform and actually did read up a bit on these. Last I looked, Buds guns had several models available. My old eyes aren't so good though, so whatever I get I would like good sights or at least the ability to change them out.

Absolutely love my SR22
My wife learned how to shoot with it and my daughter that is 11 will learn very soon
Also very accurate

Attachments

• F749E425-C857-4F10-BB52-0956B953E9AB.jpeg
    F749E425-C857-4F10-BB52-0956B953E9AB.jpeg
    338.4 KB · Views: 22
why would they shrink it? Must have geared it to young youth shooters?

I love The 1911 platform and actually did read up a bit on these. Last I looked, Buds guns had several models available. My old eyes aren't so good though, so whatever I get I would like good sights or at least the ability to change them out.
i doubt its a easy swap, probably use plastic sights with a odd dove tail cut. If the dovetail even hold s the sights vs screws. At least its a alloy slide you can use a hand file to open up the dovetail or what ever sights you want to fit to it

Get a pistol that can accept a red dot. Faster, easier to see, puts the focus on the target and not the sights.

why would they shrink it? Must have geared it to young youth shooters?

Probably for the same reasons I mention above, a big heavy .22 would serve to copy some existing centerfire design - which is fine if that's what you want.

If they went at it to make an actual .22lr, nothing needs to be so big - extra size and weight is just that..

Here's a SR22 in my hand (with mag bumper but even just the extended floor plates fit my hand well)..

15850635874407868988226359094272.jpg

And a Sig 938, still comfortable but would be too minimal in a target pistol for me - just for comparison. Looks worse than it is as I bend my wrist at an odd angle for pictures but I'd say an extra 1/2 inch would be all I'd really have a use for (although obviously it's a carry pistol, sized to bare minimum for a reason).

15850636508351401996030690835973.jpg

Does anyone here have any experience with the Walther P22? They look nice, at least.

Frank
Yes. I own one. It's accurate and reliable with the right ammo. Mine consistently eats Rem Golden Bullet. Lots of fun. Have had it for many years. Looking to trade/sell it and get a Ruger Wrangler, though. I want a revolver again.

M&P22 Compact. Inexpensive, plenty accurate for plinking, and they eat anything I feed them.
i own the full size m&p .22 made by walther, not the compact. but yeah, i agree with you. i was skeptical as it was made by walther and soon realized it was a cool .22 pistol. it's an aggressive pistol...meaning i haven't found ammo that it won't digest. oddly, i'm not fond of the m&p line of full size guns and don't own one besides this one. more of a fan of the m&p c pistols. anyway, when i bought mine it wasn't available in massachusetts and i paid the mass premium. and the damn thing was only shipped with one mag so had to buy 5 others out and about. haven't encountered anyone yet who doesn't like it after shooting it. i think for a lightweight poly gun they're both, compact & full size, worth a look before condemning them.

Another vote for Browning Buckmark. This is the SS model with great factory fiber optic front site. Not too heavy, eats everything, rubber finger grips, etc. Around $400.

Attachments

• 4160AA2E-EF37-4E9B-8A3C-0036DDF0EF7C.jpeg
    4160AA2E-EF37-4E9B-8A3C-0036DDF0EF7C.jpeg
    283.4 KB · Views: 9
Colt (Walther) .22 1911. Bought one on sale from PSA about a year and a half ago, from PSA. $250 shipped. liked it so much I bought my son one from Bud's, same price. LOVE IT! Was just shooting it suppressed, yesterday, quieter than a pellet gun. It eats Remington Subsonic all day long, but did not cycle CCI Quiets.

Ordered a TX22 from PSA for $259. That’s a good price for 16 rd mags, threaded barrel and excellent reliability reports so far.

If i were in the market to buy a non target .22 id look for a G44, SR22, or if youre into a revolver SW317 or Wrangler.

Id stay away from a Walther P22. Ive sold one or two guns i regret, but the P22 isnt one of them. Only ran with mini mags, nothing else. Takedown wasnt fun. It was cheap but there are better choices.

Back
Top Bottom