• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.22 Plinker Pistol Recommendations

I know I'm probably not going to be able to buy anything soon because everything will be sold due to the "uncertain future", but I'll ask anyway for future reference. I only have one .22 pistol, a Ruger MKll with a red dot I used to use for bullseye. I recently decided I needed a smaller, lighter plinker type pistol that I will use as is with iron sights. It will not have to be exceptionally accurate, but I would prefer it not be a jam o matic as several have been described over the past 10 years. I appreciate all posts and recommendations.

Regarding the 617, I have given a revolver some thought. After the trouble I had with the S&W Pro Series 9mm 1911 I bought 4 years ago (3 trips to S&W before it was functional) I would not buy a new one, not to mention the price! If I could find a used one in great shape, maybe, but I bet that wouldn't be much cheaper than new.

Tried an older Browning Buckmark a fellow shooter had at the range last week and it was very nice, but still kind of big and heavy like my MKll.

The Ruger MK 4 Lite is nice, haven't shot one, but was kind of hoping to get a different manufacturer than Ruger.

I guess I should have been a little more descriptive of what I was looking for. I would rather get a smaller, lighter, polymer type pistol than a typical heavy, all steel target type pistol, think new Glock .22, Ruger SR22, Walther etc., anything other than a S&W product. Thanks, and keep the posts coming.

Ruger SR22 are pretty neat, nice grip and good trigger
I have one and the only thing I don’t like is the size. It’s small for my decent sized hands. Fits my wife’s hands perfectly. But aside from that it’s been super reliable.

I have one and the only thing I don’t like is the size. It’s small for my decent sized hands. Fits my wife’s hands perfectly. But aside from that it’s been super reliable.

Same situation here, the SR22 is a bit small but I can still manage to shoot it well. Very reliable.

I guess I should have been a little more descriptive of what I was looking for. I would rather get a smaller, lighter, polymer type pistol than a typical heavy, all steel target type pistol, think new Glock .22, Ruger SR22, Walther etc., anything other than a S&W product. Thanks, and keep the posts coming.

Walther PPQ 22 is okay.

Just read a couple reviews on the SR22 and everything was good except the trigger, very heavy dbl action and not great single action. These reviews were from 2011 and 2014 though, so not sure if they are better now. Also, to clarify, I am no longer a resident of MA, so if there is a better "free state" trigger on these, then I would be able to get it. So far, the SR22 seems to be the favorite.

Take a look at the used 22lr revolvers

Not sure if they are MA OK
Heritage Rough Rider 22lr not much better for plinking

The Ruger SR22 is a perfectly adequate small plinker. They work quite well, and they are reasonably priced for what you get. But with that said, my vote is strongly for the MKIV Lite. To me the MKIV is in a different class from any of the smaller plastic guns. It feels right in the hand, has a much higher build quality, and has upgrade options if you ever want them.

Also, a friend of mine has an SR22 and he wanted to improve the single action trigger. His trigger is acceptable, but he would like it to be better. I figured it is possible to do a trigger job on anything, so I did some research. The SR22 has a very unusual trigger mechanism. On most guns, there is a trigger sear, and hooks or a notch on the hammer. On the SR22, the trigger has a hook. The design makes it very difficult to modify the trigger or hammer without changing the engagement angles. And I did not find anyone making trigger parts for the the SR22 or any gunsmiths who do trigger jobs on them. So with the SR22, the stock trigger is pretty much it.

The Ruger SR22 is a perfectly adequate small plinker. They work quite well, and they are reasonably priced for what you get. But with that said, my vote is strongly for the MKIV Lite. To me the MKIV is in a different class from any of the smaller plastic guns. It feels right in the hand, has a much higher build quality, and has upgrade options if you ever want them.

Also, a friend of mine has an SR22 and he wanted to improve the single action trigger. His trigger is acceptable, but he would like it to be better. I figured it is possible to do a trigger job on anything, so I did some research. The SR22 has a very unusual trigger mechanism. On most guns, there is a trigger sear, and hooks or a notch on the hammer. On the SR22, the trigger has a hook. The design makes it very difficult to modify the trigger or hammer without changing the engagement angles. And I did not find anyone making trigger parts for the the SR22 or any gunsmiths who do trigger jobs on them. So with the SR22, the stock trigger is pretty much it.

Thanks for the SR22 trigger info, that's exactly the type of info I was looking for after reading the reviews I found where they all pretty much said the trigger blows. I am by no means a trigger snob, but would rather have a decent trigger or one that could be made decent. I do like the look of the MKlV Lite pistols, just thought of getting something a bit smaller and lighter.

I could see myself getting that pistol since I have a gen 2 G19, but would actually like something smaller. Also want to wait a bit and see how the reliability shakes out.

I have one. I shoot it a ton. I treat it like an airsoft gun and just keep it hosed with Silicone spray. Runs like a champ

S&W M&P compact based on personal experience with most of the current offerings. It's pretty perfect. Taurus TX-22 based on reviews. Great gun. SR22 feels like a toy to me. Ruger Mark 4, my second favorite .22 but a step above plinker.

Go old school: Smith 17, High Standard Citation, Colt Woodsman/Huntsman.

Buy a collectible gun that appreciates in value while you own it.

If you want an exposed hammer, Ruger SR22 is one no brainer, I have both model slides.

If you want a striker I would get the M&P, actually like the trigger on them a little better, reset is shorter, but not enough to buy one when I already have a nice set of .22 pistols I don't shoot often enough.

Both have mag bumper kits available.

If you want an exposed hammer, Ruger SR22 is one no brainer, I have both model slides.

If you want a striker I would get the M&P, actually like the trigger on them a little better, reset is shorter, but not enough to buy one when I already have a nice set of .22 pistols I don't shoot often enough.

Both have mag bumper kits available.

Both the M&P22 and the M&P22 Compact are hammer-fired guns, albeit internal hammers.

The SR22 would have held more interest for me, but the "up is off/down is on" safety is counter-intuitive, and unlike most (all?) other pistol safeties.

Back
Top Bottom