• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.22 LR Conversion for AR ??

I'd opt to spend a bit more and buy a dedicated .22LR upper/barrel. I've been told that the gas tube gets clogged if you shoot a lot of .22LR in a conversion kit . . . that when you go back to shooting .223 you can have problems. To me it just isn't worth it to cheap out here.
This!

I Built my dedicated 22lr upper for cheap.

Bear creek arsenal 7.5" 223 wylde barrel-$40
Anderson upper $45
7" Ebay Ebay handguard $29

Had neighbor weld closed the gas port. Gun is good to go.

For the course I am thinking of, everything is well within 25 yards.

Kind of like going to the gym, once a month doesn't work.
Twice a week is, well, you all know, still minimal although on a per "body part basis", acceptable.
This is repetition based muscle training.

As far as clogging. I get that. Not that I would "enjoy" it, I can replace the gas tube easily enough.
I am used to the configuration of my upper. I think for the moment, I'll risk a bit of clogging.

An upper is not out of the question. For ease of starting on this sooner than later. I'll start with the bolt and mags.
For an upper, knowing myself, I would set up as much of a duplicate of my current upper as I could.

Have not heard of them ...
BD = Black Dog Machine , they make all sorts of 22lr magazines.

Since you will need to buy new magazines anyway, look at the "better mag adapter" from redi-mag. Slips into ar 15 magwell without modification and allows use of S&W 15-22 magazines with cmmg or other 22 rim fire adapter s. I have two dedicated uppers with this set up and 8 mags and you can mix and match and all are reliable feeding.

Back
Top Bottom