• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.22 LR Conversion for AR ??

ADC

I am looking to convert my current AR to work with .22LR. Of course I looked on the internet.
Ideally, the .22LR Mags would be of the same dimensions as my current mags, maybe a simple bolt change allowing me to work with my AR "as is".

Anyone tried any of the offerings out there to differentiate good ones from the rest?

Thanks in advance.

I am looking to convert my current AR to work with .22LR. Of course I looked on the internet.
Ideally, the .22LR Mags would be of the same dimensions as my current mags, maybe a simple bolt change allowing me to work with my AR "as is".

Anyone tried any of the offerings out there to differentiate good ones from the rest?

Thanks in advance.
I have the CMMG conversion kit and it has been flawless. It is a simple bolt exchange and the mags are full size in 10 or 25 capacity. I use CCI Mini Mags exclusively and accuracy,and function could not be better. I only use EEzox as a cleaner/lubricant on the conversion bolt. The only caveat is their charging handle. It is polymer/plastic, and did not last very long. Broke at the front where the gas tube passes through. The charging handle is an option that I would not recommend. Some people said in reviews that a cartridge could get stuck in the factory charging handle and that was my reason for getting the CMMG one. Have never had an issue with a spent shell lodging in the factory handle though, so save the $10 they want for the plastic one and get a couple hundred more.22'!

For not much more you can pick up a complete 22lr upper and a few mags to go with it. What type of shooting are you looking to do . They have uppers for plinking right through Service Rifle style uppers for marksmenship practice.

For not much more you can pick up a complete 22lr upper and a few mags to go with it. What type of shooting are you looking to do . They have uppers for plinking right through Service Rifle style uppers for marksmenship practice.
Where can I get a complete .22 upper for just a bit more than $169 with 3 magazines?

The M261 kit and the Ciener kit were the two major players last I looked. Figure $150-200 to get into either one. The M261 mag inserts seem to be a love-em-or-hate-em proposition, if you find a mag that works well with one I'd leave it as a dedicated 22lr mag. You can also get purpose-made mags for either conversion from Black Dog Machine.

Accuracy with either one is OK enough; if you're looking for serious practice for precision match shooting you want to dedicate an upper to it with a real .22lr barrel.

Colt also made a .22 conversion before the M261 was out. Works fine but it's a little bit of an oddball.

Thanks in advance.

o_Oo_Oo_O

All current .22LR conversions for ARs have mags that fit the magwell without adapters, and all of them are simple bolt changes.
They are all based off the original Jonathan Ciener kits.

The barrel twist rate is key along with ammo quality.

I have the CMMG conversion kit and it has been flawless. It is a simple bolt exchange and the mags are full size in 10 or 25 capacity. I use CCI Mini Mags exclusively and accuracy,and function could not be better. I only use EEzox as a cleaner/lubricant on the conversion bolt. The only caveat is their charging handle. It is polymer/plastic, and did not last very long. Broke at the front where the gas tube passes through. The charging handle is an option that I would not recommend. Some people said in reviews that a cartridge could get stuck in the factory charging handle and that was my reason for getting the CMMG one. Have never had an issue with a spent shell lodging in the factory handle though, so save the $10 they want for the plastic one and get a couple hundred more.22'!

I can second CMMG. I bought a complete upper from CMMG and some mags from Brownells and its been flawless.

Where can I get a complete .22 upper for just a bit more than $169 with 3 magazines?
PSA, ATI, Chiappa run $300ish

All depends what your looking to do.
If your just blasting torso tactical style inside 20 yards the inserts are good. Want to hit specific places /groups or small targets at greater yardage...well not so much

Last edited:
Anyone have feed issues with their Blackdog mags? It seems my mags with steel feed lips grab on to the rim and don't feed smoothly.

Anyone have feed issues with their Blackdog mags? It seems my mags with steel feed lips grab on to the rim and don't feed smoothly.
I had some issues with my BD mags , emailed them explained my issues and had 5 new mags in a few days. Proof of purchase needed.

I'd opt to spend a bit more and buy a dedicated .22LR upper/barrel. I've been told that the gas tube gets clogged if you shoot a lot of .22LR in a conversion kit . . . that when you go back to shooting .223 you can have problems. To me it just isn't worth it to cheap out here.

I had some issues with my BD mags , emailed them explained my issues and had 5 new mags in a few days. Proof of purchase needed.

Thanks... I'll send them an email.

Were your mag steel feed lips or the polymer?

I had the original colt conversion kit a million years ago. Fun as hell. Better grouping with sv ammo, but more reliabe feeding with minimags.
This was in an older colt carbine pencil bbl 1 in 7 twist. Shooting paper at 50 yds, groups were 3/4" at with occasional flyers.
If i did it again, i would go dedicated upper, flat top with a scope.
Or spend the money on a 10/22

Upper from CMMG, dedicated lower for it with a hammer designed for 22. One reason for using an upper designed for .22 rather than .223 is the twist rate, it's different.

I'd opt to spend a bit more and buy a dedicated .22LR upper/barrel. I've been told that the gas tube gets clogged if you shoot a lot of .22LR in a conversion kit . . . that when you go back to shooting .223 you can have problems. To me it just isn't worth it to cheap out here.
Yup, just go with a dedicated 22lr upper. The conversion kits for regular gas tube uppers really crap up the tube. You can fire some .223/5.56 through it after you are done shooting .22 which will help clear out the gas tube but you will ultimately be using a lot of those long pipe cleaners. I have a couple of different conversion kits, but since the onslaught of 22lr uppers I never use them anymore.

I have a lot of 22lr uppers and the best running ones are the Tactical Solutions offerings paired with Black Dog mags. Black Dog makes a heavy duty 22lr mag that when full is the same size and weight as a full 223/5.56 AR mag. Pop that in your rifle and you have a 22lr AR to practice with that has the same weight and balance as a 223/5.56 AR. One thing to note is that you don’t need a buffer spring for 22lr, but I leave one in there because I move different uppers around.

I have an alert set up for when the CMMG 4.5" barrel and bolt go on sale. I saw the adapter, but I'd rather have a dedicated upper and the Better Mag adapter to run the 25rd M&P 15-22 mags with LRBHO. Seems like the benefits of a dedicated upper outweigh the minor price difference, and AR parts seem to be getting cheaper and cheaper these days.

Thanks... I'll send them an email.

Were your mag steel feed lips or the polymer?
Poly, i did not notice if the replacements where steel or poly. You can buy replacement lips and I think even since my replacements came i rhink they have a 3rd gen follower now that improves feeding?

I had the original colt conversion kit a million years ago. Fun as hell. Better grouping with sv ammo, but more reliabe feeding with minimags.
This was in an older colt carbine pencil bbl 1 in 7 twist. Shooting paper at 50 yds, groups were 3/4" at with occasional flyers.
The 10/22 IMHO is not as easy or cheap to fit to smaller kids. Also you can get all sorts of inexpensive stuff for the AR based unit

Yup, just go with a dedicated 22lr upper. The conversion kits for regular gas tube uppers really crap up the tube. You can fire some .223/5.56 through it after you are done shooting .22 which will help clear out the gas tube but you will ultimately be using a lot of those long pipe cleaners. I have a couple of different conversion kits, but since the onslaught of 22lr uppers I never use them anymore.

I have a lot of 22lr uppers and the best running ones are the Tactical Solutions offerings paired with Black Dog mags. Black Dog makes a heavy duty 22lr mag that when full is the same size and weight as a full 223/5.56 AR mag. Pop that in your rifle and you have a 22lr AR to practice with that has the same weight and balance as a 223/5.56 AR. One thing to note is that you don’t need a buffer spring for 22lr, but I leave one in there because I move different uppers around.

TacSol is good shit, I have two X-Ring takedowns and I love them.

Thanks for all the responses.

My goal is to train with the "picks and puts" of movement and everything that goes with it.
Weight of the rifle, trigger, mags, movement in all directions, various courses of fire, etc. etc.
That it's my primary defensive rifle I believe is important.

Just looking over all the responses. I'll have time later tonight after work.

Last edited:

They all will work, just some better than others. A 1:16 twist is ideal for most of the standard 36-40+ 22LR. bullet weights.

A 1:9 is better for the heavier ones.

I just got this:

22LR AR Conversion Kit, Bravo, w/ 3 10rd Magazines | CMMG Inc.

Took it to the range yesterday and had a great time.

Since I have 10 round mags I had to reload often, but it was fun.

Seemed to work ok.

CMMG said it could foul up your gas tube but they say to clear it you should fire out a 223 after the 223 bolt is replaced to clear it out.

You can find the 3 mag version of the conversion for about $180 online.

Thanks for all the responses.

My goal is to train with the "picks and puts" of movement and everything that goes with it.
Weight of the rifle, trigger, mags, movement in all direction, various courses of fire, etc. etc.
That it's my primary defensive rifle I believe is important.

Just looking over all the responses. I'll have time later tonight after work.
If your just looking to run defenses drills by all means a insert will do just fine in your current set up
Some AR lowers/trigger groups dont always play well with the 22lr kits or uppers. My early RRA NM trigger does not play well.
More recent RRA NM trigger works 100%

As for clogged up gas systems?
I rand a Stag carbine with a cmmg insert back in the ammo shortage days. I had plenty of 22lr to play with.
Accuracy was hits on target torso size only acceptable. I ran at least 3k 22lr with out cleaning. Along with more than 3k 223 steel case junk (mostly Norinco)
With out any issues and nothing more than a wipe with a cloth.
22lr and lube do not play well.
The waxed bullets is all tou need for lube. Im not sure how well the bullet lube holds up in the slightly larger bores.
I also wonder how much gas checking there is with the lightly brushed copper bullets have?

For the course I am thinking of, everything is well within 25 yards.

Kind of like going to the gym, once a month doesn't work.
Twice a week is, well, you all know, still minimal although on a per "body part basis", acceptable.
This is repetition based muscle training.

As far as clogging. I get that. Not that I would "enjoy" it, I can replace the gas tube easily enough.
I am used to the configuration of my upper. I think for the moment, I'll risk a bit of clogging.

TacSol is good shit, I have two X-Ring takedowns and I love them.

An upper is not out of the question. For ease of starting on this sooner than later. I'll start with the bolt and mags.
For an upper, knowing myself, I would set up as much of a duplicate of my current upper as I could.

Just a added note BD machine has a 25% off $100 or more deal at the moment

Have not heard of them ...

This. My Nordic Components 22 upper is really well made and is very accurate. Uses black dog machine mags.

I’ve wondered if it’s the BD mags or the Nordic upper that’s the cause of my FTF’s. Doesn’t happen super often so it might just be dirty. Dunno.

I emailed BD about my problem and they replied that it's a known issue with the steel feed lips and that's why they don't sell them anymore.

They're sending me a couple of replacements and a return label to send my old ones back

Back
Top Bottom