22 for small game in MA?

preference on using a 22 vs a 12ga for small game? Thinking a 22 would draw less attention when shooting chipmunks and the like while scoping for deer spots

Last edited:
I always thought zone 10 was shotgun only for everything, but the hunting digest doesn’t mention that anywhere so I guess I was wrong. The part about year round species doesn’t mention anything about implements, so I guess that means use any gun?

I think a shotgun would vaporize a chipmunk

I always thought it was shotgun only this is for squirrel hunting.

Rifles and handguns (including rifled muzzleloaders): Rifles and handguns are prohibited in zones 10-14. Rifles and handguns are legal in zones 1-9 except on WMAs stocked with pheasant or quail during the pheasant or quail season.

preference on using a 22 vs a 12ga for small game? Thinking a 22 would draw less attention when shooting chipmunks and the like while scoping for deer spots
Check your zones. Grey squirrel is shotgun only in 10-14.

I hunt squirrel alot. I use a full choked 12 with high brass #5 or #6. They actually habe a tough skin. If you've ever dressed one out you'll know what I mean. That setup will reach the top of any tree in new england. If they are close up let em run or lead off a bit to avoid damage.

The best time to scout for deer hunting is January thru spring green up.

Bob

This.....a lot of us are Archery hunting for deer starting in September in other states, then start in MA in October. Many times we've shot 2-3 deer before gun guys are even dusting off their shotguns. End up not even going gun hunting because of that sometimes.

Though it is fun to shoot squirrels, I shoot them with a bow while I'm sitting in a stand sometimes.

Around my house, I use the rifle, its rare to get to hunt with a .22 and the 17hmr and I like to put it to work on squirrels.

If you're using a rifle, make sure you a have a safe backstop. .22 will travel.
This! On rare occasions when I bring a 22 to hunt squirrel in zone 9 I only take shots at squirrels on or near the ground. Firing a 22 up into a tree in my opinion......is not a responsible way to hunt.....no idea where those are coming down if you miss. I said that's my opinion......and that's how I hunt. I'm sure there are those with other opinions but you own that bullet once you fire it.

That's why I am a shotgun guy for grey squirrel 95% of the time. It's safer and you have more shot opportunity and can safely take them when they are high up in trees.

Back
Top Bottom