.22 Conversion Kit for AR15

Anyone have an idea of how different the POI would be for a AR15 sighted at 50y with M855 using a conversion kit and .22LR at that distance? Figure on 36 or 40g "high velocity" ~1250fps or so.

Anyone have an idea of how different the POI would be for a AR15 sighted at 50y with M855 using a conversion kit and .22LR at that distance? Figure on 36 or 40g "high velocity" ~1250fps or so.

I happened to see a video on youtube along these lines today. Let me see if I can find it again.

I have the CMMG conversion and it runs flawlessly, BTW. Takes about 20 seconds to swap it in/out.

I happened to see a video on youtube along these lines today. Let me see if I can find it again.

I have the CMMG conversion and it runs flawlessly, BTW. Takes about 20 seconds to swap it in/out.

Last edited by a moderator:

So at that distance (30y according to what the guy said) it's basically the same. Some searching around says that it might be generally within a few inches up to 50y. I think for what I want to use it for that it'll work.

Maybe Santa will get me a CMMG stainless kit for XMAS?

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the basic kit for $150 locally as part of a package deal; would have preferred/bought the stainless kit but this is what they had and now thinking about it, for the money I might go for a dedicated upper for that kind of dough. Maybe. I dunno.

The "10 round" mag that came with it holds only 9 rounds.

I wish there was a "pre ban" option some how

Last edited:
I got the basic kit for $150 locally as part of a package deal; would have preferred/bought the stainless kit but this is what they had and now thinking about it, for the money I might go for a dedicated upper for that kind of dough. Maybe. I dunno.

My only issue with a dedicated upper is that it won't have the same optics/irons as my primary rifle, hence why I asked about POI shift. I want to run my same setup as much as possible and preferably not dick with the sights. This is for usage within 50y.

So at that distance (30y according to what the guy said) it's basically the same. Some searching around says that it might be generally within a few inches up to 50y. I think for what I want to use it for that it'll work.

Maybe Santa will get me a CMMG stainless kit for XMAS?
Saw this thread over at ar15 with some contradictory but interesting info:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=554911

Yeah I'm not interested in shooting the hyper velocity stuff, just standard "high" velocity .22LR (~1250fps is usually what I see unless it's "standard" velocity)
In the video, the guy was talking about using "velocitors" which is part of what sent me looking further.

I am finding my conversion setup to be firing quite low at short range, but my eyes aren't those of a teenager any more, I don't have a scope and I've been shooting it hand-held indoors exclusively.

I am finding my conversion setup to be firing quite low at short range, but my eyes aren't those of a teenager any more, I don't have a scope and I've been shooting it hand-held indoors exclusively.

What ammo are you using?
Shoot it from a supported/bench and see if it still performs?
Have you zero'd the rifle?

Did you rub pixie dust on the 22 Conversion BCG?

What ammo are you using?
Shoot it from a supported/bench and see if it still performs?
Have you zero'd the rifle?

Did you rub pixie dust on the 22 Conversion BCG?

I've tried CCI Tactical AR .22 and some Federal Automatch and Remmington Golden turds

It's a brand new gun, I haven't had it outdoors yet, hence the .22 conversion

(Yes, I'm the lucky guy that bought the mythical MFS CMMG kit)

Oh, if the rifle was zero'd for 50 or 100 yds and you're shooting 50 ft, it should be shooting low. (unless I'm talking outta my ass, which is plausible).

Oh, if the rifle was zero'd for 50 or 100 yds and you're shooting 50 ft, it should be shooting low. (unless I'm talking outta my ass, which is plausible).

Could be!

I probably won't be able to get it outside til the spring....and it's my first time** even shooting a long gun since the 70's so I don't have any tools, equipment, bore sights, anything.

But it looks pretty in my safe.

**except a trap session with Mr.Happy and son, which was great.

All ARs shoot low at close distances. This is due to the height of the sights above the bore. Sighted in at 50 yds (my favorite as the gun is also on at 200 yds) my 223 AR shoots one in low at 25 yds, two in low at 15 yds, and 2.25 in low at 10 yds. MY dedicated 22 rim fire AR shoots pretty much the same.

All ARs shoot low at close distances. This is due to the height of the sights above the bore. Sighted in at 50 yds (my favorite as the gun is also on at 200 yds) my 223 AR shoots one in low at 25 yds, two in low at 15 yds, and 2.25 in low at 10 yds. MY dedicated 22 rim fire AR shoots pretty much the same.
That makes sense. That's probably about what I'm seeing. I was thinking that it might be worse at distance, but this makes sense.

I guess I'll get to see in the spring. :-D

If you have the CMMG conversion kit you need one of these to prevent jams

http://www.cmmginc.com/product_p/22ba596.htm

I've seen that... I will probably order one, but I haven't had a jam - yet. Then again I only have 4 or 5 hundred rounds through it.

Thanks!

(If I do get a jam in between the bolt and charging handle, will it be particularly difficult to clear, or will it just start happening more frequently with wear/dirt?)

I also have a dedicated upper with a CMMG conversion in it for .22 shooting. It is an old 20" barrel made by FNMI in 1:12 and is consequently very accurate for a kit gun. It can't beat my custom 10/22 for accuracy but it is heck of a lot of fun. I do like the CMMG but they are not perfect. I bought some spare parts for the carrier and they did not fit, completely out of spec. And CMMG ships slowly and has crappy CS. I got mine on sale, only paid about $139, so it was completely worth it.

Back
Top Bottom