.22 competition???

The problem with a lot of “competitions” is drawing enough people to the club to get it going.
I have been tossing out ideas to shooters I know put a lot of 22 down range.
Although the minute the word “match,compete,organized shoot” comes out they don’t want to do it.
I have been trying to feel people out for a mini F class / Palma and know your limits type of 22 shoots.
I was talking to the gent who used to run 22 silhouette.....said as the old timers dropped off no new shooters where not coming in and heard “its to hard” to many times and it slowly died

Last edited:
Mac, if you hear of anything like this let me know. As long as I can get time away from the family, id like to join.

Mac, if you hear of anything like this let me know. As long as I can get time away from the family, id like to join.
Been trying figure I need a good group of 15 shooters to aproach club for aproval of a day. This of course requires me to be the chairman of said match. So i have to make sure i can fit in the time.

Those "know your limits" targets are fun. Easy enough to make if you have access to a mig welder and some stock. Bolts seem to be popular.
Theres no real set course of fire for those outside the obvious.
You can do a bracket type shoot, do something like 25, 50, 75 and 100 yd increments, kind of a process of elimination.
Rules are fairly straight forward, and you can modify anyway you like
Shoot till you miss.
Say each plate is a point, no matter the distance, most points win. Keep it simple and nobody can "game" the stage.
I made one for Holbrook, I don't think they've used it yet. They just started this year with egg shoots/ benchrest style .22.
I'm in the middle of stamping out knockover eggs for them right now.
The trick to any these shoots is to make it challenging enough for the hardcore shooters, but simple enough for the new shooters.

There are ~47 .22lr "egg shoot" matches from now through the year at various south shore clubs

I'm pretty sure monument beach runs that "know your limits" rack during one of the months they shoot.

20190415_205220.jpg

I have been trying to feel people out for a mini F class / Palma

I'd be interested in that. I want to try big bore up at the 1000yd ranges in VT/NH, but tough to justify the 5+hr round trip and $200 or whatever in ammo and match fees. the 22 stuff makes it easier and it's relatively cheap.

The problem with a lot of “competitions” is drawing enough people to the club to get it going.
Although the minute the word “match,compete,organized shoot” comes out they don’t want to do it.
I have been trying to feel people out for a mini F class / Palma and know your limits type of 22 shoots.
I was talking to the gent who used to run 22 silhouette.....said as the old timers dropped off no new shooters where not coming in and heard “its to hard” to many times and it slowly died
Mac, this coming Saturday there is a mini F class at Monument Beach, I will be there
Check it out if interested

Scarborough has .22LR Precision Matches every month - Open to the Public - 2nd Saturday @10AM Year Round - ice or blizzard conditions it bumps to Sunday. (Also all the Rifle Events are open to the public - not just Comps, but also squadded practices). Check the website calendar for details and updates. https://scfga-rifle.org/calendar

Most recent attempt failed, basically I see lots of folks with some sort of 22lr "tactical trainer" set ups.
Tried getting 8-10 guys to commit to a friendly match of dueling tree at 25-50-100 yards and a shoot to you miss 4" plate shoot with 20 rounds total 5 shots at 25/50/75/100 yards.

Most recent attempt failed, basically I see lots of folks with some sort of 22lr "tactical trainer" set ups.
Tried getting 8-10 guys to commit to a friendly match of dueling tree at 25-50-100 yards and a shoot to you miss 4" plate shoot with 20 rounds total 5 shots at 25/50/75/100 yards.
I would definitely be interested in this. Would have another person interested also.

Same thing at my clubs. The new generation isn't interested in these types of competitions. They just want to hit a few tannerite boxes, post it on snap chat or whatever and go home.

My club has a .22 shoot every Monday afternoon when the weather is better, It's at 4 pm and they wonder why attendance is sparse, Most people I know work till 3:30. Not like most of us live within 15 minutes of where we shoot. Most days my jobs are at least 45mins.-1hr away from home . I asked about changing it to 5pm several times and got a We''ll have to discuss it among the shooters. No wonder the same guys win it every year, kill the competition and you win by default.

Same thing at my clubs. The new generation isn't interested in these types of competitions. They just want to hit a few tannerite boxes, post it on snap chat or whatever and go home.
I'm quite interested, the main issue for me is that some of these matches take so dang long.

Some weekdays I'm out of the house for 14 hours at a time, so I basically need to do everything on the weekends. With a Saturday/Sunday match, that really condenses everything. Seems like whatever match I do, CMP, Steel Challenge, USPSA, it's more or less a day long commitment. Leave at 7:30 AM, get home around 3:30-4:30 PM.

That means everything--laundry, mowing the lawn, grocery shopping, etc.--needs to be done on one day when I'm either going to need energy for the next day (if Saturday) or going to work the next day (if Sunday). So doing all the chores Saturday leaves me a bit frantic on Sunday for the match or doing a Sunday match means being tired/sore on Monday.

If matches could sync up to like, 2 hours, 2.5 hours maybe, it makes it a lot more palatable. Something like getting up at 7:00-7:30 and home before lunch.

The last USPSA match I did I woke up at 6:30, was out of the house at 7:15 and didn't get home until almost 5 PM. Trying to do that more than once every 6 weeks or so is not practical for me. After May/June matches this year it just didn't work out with familiar commitments and whatnot.

As a side note some matches do the "welcoming" thing a lot better than others. I've been to some clubs/matches where it feels like you get the stink eye if you're not "one of good ol' boys" that's been there doing it for a decade. Some other clubs they do go out of their way to be helpful and encouraging to new shooters.

And lastly as a more personal issue these are a lot more fun with a friend. I think mac's mentioned similar issues before but I've had some people flake on me (as in, say they'd do a match and then cancel on me repeatedly). I've done several matches where I don't know anyone and it's not fun being the guy standing in the corner while everyone else chats, esp. if it's a 90° summer day and you've been in the sun for three hours...there's definitely some clique components to competing.

So I'd love to compete more, but ideally a Sat/Sun morning thing where I can go for more like a slightly extended range trip.

I'm quite interested, the main issue for me is that some of these matches take so dang long.

Some weekdays I'm out of the house for 14 hours at a time, so I basically need to do everything on the weekends. With a Saturday/Sunday match, that really condenses everything. Seems like whatever match I do, CMP, Steel Challenge, USPSA, it's more or less a day long commitment. Leave at 7:30 AM, get home around 3:30-4:30 PM.

That means everything--laundry, mowing the lawn, grocery shopping, etc.--needs to be done on one day when I'm either going to need energy for the next day (if Saturday) or going to work the next day (if Sunday). So doing all the chores Saturday leaves me a bit frantic on Sunday for the match or doing a Sunday match means being tired/sore on Monday.

If matches could sync up to like, 2 hours, 2.5 hours maybe, it makes it a lot more palatable. Something like getting up at 7:00-7:30 and home before lunch.

The last USPSA match I did I woke up at 6:30, was out of the house at 7:15 and didn't get home until almost 5 PM. Trying to do that more than once every 6 weeks or so is not practical for me. After May/June matches this year it just didn't work out with familiar commitments and whatnot.

As a side note some matches do the "welcoming" thing a lot better than others. I've been to some clubs/matches where it feels like you get the stink eye if you're not "one of good ol' boys" that's been there doing it for a decade. Some other clubs they do go out of their way to be helpful and encouraging to new shooters.

And lastly as a more personal issue these are a lot more fun with a friend. I think mac's mentioned similar issues before but I've had some people flake on me (as in, say they'd do a match and then cancel on me repeatedly). I've done several matches where I don't know anyone and it's not fun being the guy standing in the corner while everyone else chats, esp. if it's a 90° summer day and you've been in the sun for three hours...there's definitely some clique components to competing.

So I'd love to compete more, but ideally a Sat/Sun morning thing where I can go for more like a slightly extended range trip.
I hear what you mean. For a while I only had time for trap. Show up, shoot a round or two, go home. Then I added silhouette back in. One weekend a month during warm weather. I'd do my weekend chores during the week or simply not do them. I'd much rather go to the range than wash laundry. If the lawn is overgrown, then it's how mother nature intended. I have my club friends and I have my work friends. I don't mix the two.

I’ve shot a “know your limits match” twice this season, also some silhouettes and a few egg shoots. My son (10years old) and I do it every month. Some matches I arrive at 9:30 and done by noon. Relays get added all the time due to the popularity, so if you want to stay and shoot more you can. We have been using a Ruger American rimfire with a cabelas 3x9 scope and having a great time with it. Just upgraded to a Tikka T1x with a 6x18 vortex. Plenty of $$$ rifles at the matches and I love shooting my short money .22 against them. Jim

My club has a .22 shoot every Monday afternoon when the weather is better, It's at 4 pm and they wonder why attendance is sparse, Most people I know work till 3:30. Not like most of us live within 15 minutes of where we shoot. Most days my jobs are at least 45mins.-1hr away from home . I asked about changing it to 5pm several times and got a We''ll have to discuss it among the shooters. No wonder the same guys win it every year, kill the competition and you win by default.
They new exactly the crowd they wanted to draw in with a monday at 4pm schedule. Must have started back in the days when resturants where closed on mondays and no early bird specials to go to...
Jokes aside
Finding a schedule that works is hard, finding a slot the club agrees to is harder, getting the time to organize and run it is the hardest.

the matches would run a bit faster if folks would shut up and shoot! ;).
I could not find my hat i had that i had made up for Trap shooting.... You want painfully slow go to a trap or skeet match..!
Like many things the flow of the match is only as good as the coordinator s and the attention of players.
i have had more success getting new shooters to at least try by reaching out on NES in a few years vs the past 30 years trying to get friends and family to the range. Might be time for another Karma for Garand shooting

Didnt the club in swanzey nh have something like this years ago . Place was off whitcomb right down the road from the Baptist church. Not sure if they still do this or not but it might be worth looking into .

Back
Top Bottom