• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

22 cal plinker

my wife has been using a Co2 pellet gun to persuade squirrels to stay away and now wants something a bit more powerful. She shoots out the back window and has a scope on her weapon

I am thinking that a decent 22 rifle would be good and am looking at a Savage 64 that might be a good alternative because it has a 10 round mag, is somewhat quiet, and easy to shoot.
Don’t get put off by easy to shoot because she is proficient with a Sig P938 and has her own AR 15.
I am thinking an inexpensive 22 with a scope makes the most sense and the Savage looks good.

Any comments? Where to get a good deal?
Alternatives?

I think it would up my pellet gun game before, I start firing a rifle out my window. But that's just me. I don't think I'd want to be vacuuming up brass for my living room.

I have a suppressed 10/22 with a compliant barrel and shroud that houses the suppressor = so the overall barrel length with suppressor attached is no longer than 16".

Extremely low decibels, and with a mounted red dot = it is a very handy and accurate pest gun.

my wife has been using a Co2 pellet gun to persuade squirrels to stay away and now wants something a bit more powerful. She shoots out the back window and has a scope on her weapon

I am thinking that a decent 22 rifle would be good and am looking at a Savage 64 that might be a good alternative because it has a 10 round mag, is somewhat quiet, and easy to shoot.
Don’t get put off by easy to shoot because she is proficient with a Sig P938 and has her own AR 15.
I am thinking an inexpensive 22 with a scope makes the most sense and the Savage looks good.

Any comments? Where to get a good deal?
Alternatives?
Is she proficient with the pellet rifle?
Are there any "firearms" discharge laws/regs to worry about
The benefit of a nice pellet rifle for small pest control is inexpensive ammo, powerful enough to take out a squirrel but less collateral damage from miss or richoche.

I'd look at a bolt 22 and Aguila Colibri Primer-only ammo. You can hear the firing pin spring through the stock it's so quiet. Won't reliably cycle a semi, hence the bolt recommendation. Also, no flying brass. It's accurate and consistent, I've put multiple rounds through the opening of a soda can at 25 yards.

Aguila Super Colibri Ammo 22 Long Rifle 20 Grain - UPC: 640420001296

The Ruger precision rifle in 22 is a riot to shoot and reasonably priced. Aquila super sniper ammo is probably hearing friendly. I have a dead air mask on mine and it’s stupid quiet.

If you don’t have a 10/22 or MP1522 get one. You’ll actually want to shoot it for fun rather than just to vanquish dinners.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Savage. I have good luck with all of their rifles. If I were to buy another autoloader, I would have to with a 10/22 simply because they are so much more customizable. I am not sure I would choose an auto for your intended use. The autoloader is great at the range when you intend to empty the magazine every time. To plink a critter or two out the back window? I'd go with my Mark II. (who am I kidding, I'd be using the Rem 512). But I do have a Mark II and it is a great rifle.
A bolt gun allows you to clear the chamber much more easily than with the auto. No having to chase down a live round after you cleared the chamber.

up the pellet gun game go .22 or 25 cal , .22 pellet wad cutter take out squirrels with ease you do not want to use pointed pellets those are a farce

I shoot my savage mark ii the most out of anything, and at $200, why buy anything else. 1moa with Cci SV, slightly better with Wolf.

I think it would up my pellet gun game before, I start firing a rifle out my window. But that's just me. I don't think I'd want to be vacuuming up brass for my living room.
Bolt action 22 would solve the brass problem. Cover the ejection port with one hand and slowly pull back the bolt so you can catch the spent shell

Great ideas.

To answer the question about my wife’s weapon proficiency.
She carries a Sig 938 and shoots our Sig CO2 on a regular basis.

Last week she texted me while I was on a business trip to say that 6 rodents (4 greys, a red and a chipmunk) would not be coming out for breakfast the next morning.
Then when I got home she was concerned that she only got 2 more greys the rest of the week.

Big fan of the new Savage A and B series. The A is the semi and B is a bolt. They share the new rotary mags as well. I have 3 of them. 2 bolt and 1 auto. Reliable and accurate.

I bought a T/Cr22 rifle a month and a half ago and it has been wonderful. It is a Ruger 10/22 clone with all of the bells and whistles that users add on after purchase.
It is highly accurate, inexpensive and has liked every brand of .22lr I shoved down her throat. Weight and length of pull (LOP) would work well with a female frame.

Me and a few other guys bought them.
$249 after rebate...
TCR22 Rifle

~Matt

tcr22001-jpg.245361

001.JPG

Last edited:
i am partial to bolt action 22 rifles. the savage mark II is a great rifle and excellent value. the mags aren't the most robust design but they're cheap and work fine. the ruger american rimfire runs on 10/22 mags and is very well built but the price is a bit higher and unless you're already invested in 10/22 magazines I think the Savage Mark II offers just as much performance.

autoloaders are cool too but i find myself blasting through ammo too quickly and not really working on fundamentals. i also find it annoying how none of them are super reliable and when they get dirty they go down in a hurry...these issues don't exist with a bolt or lever action 22. if one is running a suppressor the bolt action is going to be quieter, cleaner and more reliable.

i am partial to bolt action 22 rifles. the savage mark II is a great rifle and excellent value. the mags aren't the most robust design but they're cheap and work fine. the ruger american rimfire runs on 10/22 mags and is very well built but the price is a bit higher and unless you're already invested in 10/22 magazines I think the Savage Mark II offers just as much performance.

autoloaders are cool too but i find myself blasting through ammo too quickly and not really working on fundamentals. i also find it annoying how none of them are super reliable and when they get dirty they go down in a hurry...these issues don't exist with a bolt or lever action 22. if one is running a suppressor the bolt action is going to be quieter, cleaner and more reliable.

I really like my Savage. Agree on the mags, but they're reasonably priced and easy to find.

I really like my Savage. Agree on the mags, but they're reasonably priced and easy to find.

i once stepped on a savage mark II magazine and it snapped into a few pieces. i sort of got it put back together but it kept coming back apart. however the mark II mags are smooth to load and functioned 100%. i think aside from stepping on the thing it's just fine. and at like $10 a pop it's no big loss. they definitely fit into a pants pocket better than a 10/22 mag.

my Mark II was a stainless model with the fancy colored stock. it was a rifle i owned too early in my gun life and didn't appreciate it enough. it shot every type of ammo well.

that TC 10/22 clone looks sick. the rear peep sight with integral receiver rail is super nice. stuff you just can't have with a typical ruger 10/22. I picked up a Magnum Research MLR 22 a while back which is a 10/22 clone with graphite barrel, gorgeous machined recevier and all the trinkets one could need. these 10/22 clones really are the way to go. you get so many features for the $$. beats the snot out of a ruger 10/22 and then dumping $$ into upgrades.

Magnum Lite .22 LR / .22 WMR - Magnum Research, Inc. | Desert Eagle pistols and BFR revolvers

their newer "switchbolt" design looks cool too. puts the charging handle on the left, otherwise i think it's the same.

SwitchBolt .22 LR - Magnum Research, Inc. | Desert Eagle pistols and BFR revolvers

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom