• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.22 AR

I have read about Spikes Tactical 22lr uppers are "tuned" for federal bulk pak. "tuneing maybe needed for other ammo"

How is this "tuneing" done.

I want a 22lr upper, leaning twards spikes.

Most of the "tuning" of a 22 blow back action is selecting the right recoil spring as this spring controls the bolt (this is usually done by the manufacturer and can be a disaster if you try it yourself). These actions are ammo sensitive as they need a round which is powerful enough to drive the bolt all the way to the rear to allow the gun to cycle properly. My Model 1 Sales upper performs best with CCI Blazers and does almost as well with Federal "bulk pack".

PS It is also a good idea to keep the bolt lubricated to reduce friction which can prevent the rifle from cycling properly. The problem is the 22LR ammo isn't all that powerful and can have problems cycling the bolt of a 22LR conversion or upper. The best way to do this is with proper cleaning and lubrication and the use of high velocity ammo capable of cycling the action reliably.

More tuning info here.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=282&t=168048

And Spikes nickle plated bolt actually need very little to no lubrication per them.

I guess this varies from one MFR to another. After about 200 rounds, my Model 1 upper began to have an occasional stovepipe. A couple of drops of oil on the parkerized bolt, which was dry, cured the problem. I find that 5/50 or 0/30 synthetic oil works best (the 5/50 was recommended by Ciener).

accuracy on most conversion kits is for shit, if you want accuracy spend the money. Go for for the upper.

If you want a fun tactical look that shoots great the GSG 5 is great and shoots more accurately than my stock 10/22. Smith and Wesson has a .22 AR in the pipeline as well for about the same price as a dedicated upper.[/QUOTE]

Anybody know when S&W wil put this out ?

accuracy on most conversion kits is for shit, if you want accuracy spend the money. Go for for the upper.

If you want a fun tactical look that shoots great the GSG 5 is great and shoots more accurately than my stock 10/22. Smith and Wesson has a .22 AR in the pipeline as well for about the same price as a dedicated upper.[/QUOTE]

Anybody know when S&W wil put this out ?
I heard of at least one that was in a MA shop but it wasn't bastardized yet and had to be sent back. The stock was adjustable.

Oct of what year....I waited so long for the new M+P hand guns to come out, I did not buy it when they did, \\\\\\\summer,fall, by Christmas, spring, late summer, early fall....... Is it a AR or is it something like a colt.

Just reading throught this months issue of American Riflemen and see that Colt just put out a complete M4 style .22 AR ...retails for $599 ... 30 rd mags etc...looks pretty sweet...

Just reading throught this months issue of American Riflemen and see that Colt just put out a complete M4 style .22 AR ...retails for $599 ... 30 rd mags etc...looks pretty sweet...

I believe the Colt is a variation on the German 22 that resembles the H&K MP and is made by the same company. I would stick with a dedicated upper, better gun with the promise of more and cheaper accessories; particularly mags.

I believe the Colt is a variation on the German 22 that resembles the H&K MP and is made by the same company. I would stick with a dedicated upper, better gun with the promise of more and cheaper accessories; particularly mags.

From my post above in the thread:

Built for Colt by Umarex, USA, an Airsoft manufacturer. Oops. A "premium provider of high-end adult airguns." There are a number of reviews of it on ARFCOM, as well as other gun sites.

Not the same manufacturer as the GSG-5.

I believe "Umarex" is the importer, not the manufacturer. The unit is made by the same outfit that makes the German .22s
You're right about the importer, but the manufacturer is not German Sport Guns, GmbH (maker of the GSG-5). The "Colt" is made by Carl Walther, GmbH.

From the manual:
COLT M4/M16 .22 Rimfire Rifles
made by Carl Walther, GmbH - Germany
under license from New Colt Holding Corp.

Note both manufacturer and importer on the markings:

0f9c584ccfd639ef6d02555926918c6b20090527072409.jpg

Last edited:
Take a look at the most recent copy of the "American Rifleman". Test of the 22 AR and info on MFR (Walther) and importer (Umarex).

More tuning info here.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=282&t=168048

And Spikes nickle plated bolt actually need very little to no lubrication per them.

I made the mistake of letting my lubrication practices for the 223 dictate how I lube the 22. I always lube the bolt and carrier in the 223 and also lube the bolt in my 22 LR upper. This is unnecessary as the bolt in a 22 LR conversion (or dedicated upper) rides on two rails which are part of the conversion. The bolt body itself makes no contact with the upper and needs no lubrication. I now only apply a little lube to the rails.

I like the idea of a plated bolt and will probably send mine out for plating, if I can stop shooting it long enough! Most of the dedicated uppers sold today are using Ciener bolts. From what I hear, Ciener can't keep up with the demand for his products. This should be considered when buying a dedicated upper. Since the Ciener system is in such wide use, there are more parts and accessories available for this system. I have had great luck with the Black Dog mags and even more success with the Black Dog extractor and firing pin. These parts have gone a long way in making my 22 upper 100% reliable (with the right ammo).

Back
Top Bottom