• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.22 Ammo For Bullseye Pistol

Hey Guys,

What .22 ammo can you recommend for use in my Ruger MarkIII hunter, for bullseye pistol. I shoot cci standard now, but a few guys at my club recommended that I test out a few different kinds of ammo that would shoot more consistent than cci.

My idea is with consistent ammo should keep consistent scores.

I've gotten recommendations for Aguila Standard Velocity, from the CMP. I've also heard good things about Wolf Match.

I'm also collecting various .22 ammo to see what I like best

I tried about 10 different types and ended up with American Eagle 40 gr lead 1320fps stuff. It was funny because the most expensive "target" ammo was the worst performers.

I see some great shooters using CCI SV. Unless it's not working in your gun, or you can clearly see that it's all over the paper (and it's not because of you) I'd stick with it. Have you tried shooting the gun in a Ransom Rest to check the accuracy of CCI SV in your gun?

It seems to mostly depend on your gun and shooting ability. Unlike centerfire you cannot load .22 to match your gun and shooting style. So the only way to increase accuracy and consistency of ammo is to try different brands...For the record I shoot a very old High Standard and have shot in the 290's using CCI Standard Velocity. It is also the only ammo I have tried that repeatedly functions in my HS without any feeding problems.

I use CCI SV in my Mark III and have no problems with it. If it runs fine in yours then stick with it. If not then try the Aguila. Wolf and some of the other match ammo are nice but the price jump isnt worth it to me. From what I've noticed, most of the people on my team shoot CCI or Aguila.

When shooting Gallery I bought Aguila by the case. I found variations in lots so I stuck with one lot for the season. I think you got good advice. Try different brands and see what your gun likes best in all aspects. M&M in Plymouth has a VERY good selection.

I use CCI SV in my Mark III and have no problems with it. If it runs fine in yours then stick with it. If not then try the Aguila. Wolf and some of the other match ammo are nice but the price jump isnt worth it to me. From what I've noticed, most of the people on my team shoot CCI or Aguila.

The Aguila from the CMP is cheaper than the CCI SV, that's the only reason I use it. The first thing you want is something that runs reliably in your gun: Alibi's suck.

Eley is another name to try. There are also different grades within brands that can make a difference. I like the PMC Match Pistol, but they stopped making it and you can't find it anymore. [sad]

The truth is that different guns, even the same make and model, like different varieties of ammo. By "like" I mean shoot more accurately and function (cycle the gun) properly.

The Aguila from the CMP is cheaper than the CCI SV, that's the only reason I use it. The first thing you want is something that runs reliably in your gun: Alibi's suck.

+1 I tested about 10 different brands and types of .22 LR in my GSP when I first got it and settled on CCI SV as the most accurate (better even than their Green Tag and Pistol Match). That was back when a case of CCI was about $230. When prices went through the roof I tried some Aguila and found it was as good as the CCI, then ordered a case from CMP (that was back when it was $189, delivered). A few cases later, I've never had an FTF (indeed, have never had one with the GSP after many thousands of rounds) and the CMP Aguila is still the cheapest good ammo around.

Just as an FYI, one of the members of the team I am on used to be the pistol coach for MIT. He swears that there is a difference between CCI SV #0032 which comes in the 100 round plastic sleeves and CCI SV #0035 which comes in the 50 round cardboard sleeve with a plastic insert.

He said that they ordered many cases of the #0035 (50 round boxes) and had many fail to feed and fail to fire. He called CCI and of course they said there is no difference. He requested that he send them back for exchange for the #0032 (100 round boxes) and said that there was no issue with those.

I asked if it had maybe just been a bad lot, but he said he had gone through this a few times with the #0035 and he also knew other teams that experienced the same problems.

With that being said, I shoot the #0035 50 round boxes as I bought a case of the ammo before I heard of this problem, and I have never had any ammo related problems shooting it in my Model 41. The only time the gun jammed on me was a result of a dirty gun.

Just as an FYI, one of the members of the team I am on used to be the pistol coach for MIT. He swears that there is a difference between CCI SV #0032 which comes in the 100 round plastic sleeves and CCI SV #0035 which comes in the 50 round cardboard sleeve with a plastic insert.

He said that they ordered many cases of the #0035 (50 round boxes) and had many fail to feed and fail to fire. He called CCI and of course they said there is no difference. He requested that he send them back for exchange for the #0032 (100 round boxes) and said that there was no issue with those.

I asked if it had maybe just been a bad lot, but he said he had gone through this a few times with the #0035 and he also knew other teams that experienced the same problems.

With that being said, I shoot the #0035 50 round boxes as I bought a case of the ammo before I heard of this problem, and I have never had any ammo related problems shooting it in my Model 41. The only time the gun jammed on me was a result of a dirty gun.

I have also been told that the cardboard box ones are better than the plastic box ones.

Lots of discussions in the various gun forums about CCI SV #0032 vs. #0035. The most common ones seem to go along these lines:

(1) 0035 was packaged for the European market, but is the same product, or
(2) 0035 is manufactured by Federal for CCI, or
(3) 0035 was manufactured by Federal at one time, but both are now made by CCI, or
(4) 0035 was manufactured at a slightly higher velocity for the European market, or
(5) 0035 was manufactured at a slightly higher velocity for the European market at one time, but both are now the same, or
(6) there is no difference, and there never was.

I have no idea what the truth really is. Most of the CCI that I used to shoot came in the paper boxes (0035), but I never noticed any difference in accuracy or reliability when, for whatever reason, I shot the plastic boxes (0032).

What I saw posted around the other boards was that the SV ammo was made at the Federal plant for a while as well as at the CCI plant. The federal ammo wasn't quite as good. All the cardboard ammo supposedly comes from CCI. A lot of the plastic case stuff is CCI also. I forget how you can tell the difference but I believe I read that if the plastic case is "clear plastic", it is CCI made.

I tried some of eisenhow's Aguila in my Mk3 and it shot great, so I bought a few cases. I haven't had a reason to try anything else.

When shooting Gallery I bought Aguila by the case. I found variations in lots so I stuck with one lot for the season. I think you got good advice. Try different brands and see what your gun likes best in all aspects. M&M in Plymouth has a VERY good selection.

That was my next question! Where do I find the different .22 ammo types all I usually come accrass is the remington crap and the cci sv

I will have to take a ride down to m&m

That was my next question! Where do I find the different .22 ammo types all I usually come accrass is the remington crap and the cci sv

I will have to take a ride down to m&m

Talk to Peter I believe he still shoots on the Monument Beach team. They have various Eley ammo, Aguila, CCI, and more. If you really want to try some nice stuff see if you can score some Lapua.

As for the discussion above on paper vs plastic, I had a lot of trouble with paper boxed CCI and recommend you stick with the plastic boxed. It is not the same stuff.

If you get a chance to talk to Greg Derr ask him what he thinks. Greg has a wealth of knowledge and is very willing to share if he has time.

I shoot a Marvel & started with Winchester Dynapoints from Walmart. They were cheap $9.62 for 500. Accurate and no failures. When that went away I went to CCI 0035 in paper boxes, never any problems with the CCI. I'm down to my last case and need to buy more.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom