• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

22/45 Target failure to feed

I have been having the same issues with my 22/45. I have not done any magazine work but have found that it runs reliably with CCI Mini-Mags(40gr) - only. I have tried about 7 other types of ammo with horrible fte issues.
I will continue following this thread for enlightenment.

I had to send my 22/45 back to Ruger because the magwell was just barely not letting the mag seat all the way. Caused this exact problem, and Ruger acted like it was a common complaint. They just milled some material off the bottom of the mag well and it has been 100% through many hundreds of rounds since.

For the love of God, do not take apart your 22/45 unless absolutely necessary. Just reference all the headaches everyone has experienced. If you decide you want to disassemble it, make sure you've got a rubber mallet (you'll know what I mean when you look up resources).

Check the mags first then use higher velocity ammo. That solved all my issues with my 22/45. I find .22LR standard velocity to vary in actual velocity. It was enough to cause some failure to feeds. I switched to high velocity ammo and the failures reduced significantly.

Bad advice. Its easy once you figure it out. If its a Mk III buy the bushing to remove the mag safety and assembly becomes easier.

If you want it to be stupid easy, buy the Majestic ARms kit that allows you to take the bolt out without disassembling the gun.

I'd first try some CCI mini-mags. These are my go-to rounds for testing function. Then I'd work back from there.

I've clipped the recoil spring on my MkII target gun to get it to work with light target loads. But then you have less force pushing the round into the chamber so you need to keep the gun cleaner.

If the change to minimags doesn't solve the problem then take the gun apart and clean it. People shoot the crap out of these guns. God only knows the last time its had a good cleaning. Including the chamber and barrel.

If you have FTE's the Volquartsen extractor is a great replacement part.

Don

- - - Updated - - -

I had to send my 22/45 back to Ruger because the magwell was just barely not letting the mag seat all the way. Caused this exact problem, and Ruger acted like it was a common complaint. They just milled some material off the bottom of the mag well and it has been 100% through many hundreds of rounds since.

This is very common. I just take a file to the top of mag base pads. I do it when I first get the mag. I don't even try it without it.

Don

So a quick recap. 21 FTFs in 200 rnds. Disassembled the mags and cleaned the crap out of them. FTFs down to about 10 out of 150. Removed the LCI and only 2 FTFs in 200 rounds. Both on the first round. Still gonna pick up couple of new mags as these look a little used up. Springs still strong (may have been replaced. Not sure) but the feed ends have been bent or tweaked a little. I like more than two mags anyways. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

I'll echo the guys that mentioned trying different ammo.

Experience with teaching people shooting 22's has shown me a variety of rifles and a variety of ammo. Some guns are fussy, some not. Even within the same brand and model. Sometimes the gun you would think fussy really isn't.

So, first things I mention to try are to make sure the gun is clean, no parts are broken, then try different ammo.

And, yes, sometimes you'll find a gun that doesn't like the real good stuff, but runs fine on much cheaper stuff. I know I have a few times.

I'll echo the guys that mentioned trying different ammo.

Experience with teaching people shooting 22's has shown me a variety of rifles and a variety of ammo. Some guns are fussy, some not. Even within the same brand and model. Sometimes the gun you would think fussy really isn't.

So, first things I mention to try are to make sure the gun is clean, no parts are broken, then try different ammo.

And, yes, sometimes you'll find a gun that doesn't like the real good stuff, but runs fine on much cheaper stuff. I know I have a few times.

Already ruled out the ammo. Got it shooting good now. Ty.

Already ruled out the ammo. Got it shooting good now. Ty.
You will find for the most part the Ruger MKXXX are not picky about ammo. I have shot everything through the ones I have with no issues that were ammo related with the exception of a brick of Federal I had during the shortage. But it wouldn't cycle anything I had, it was just weak and inconsistent. Federal actually replaced it.

Back
Top Bottom