• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mosin Nagant Rifle Information

I think my collection of Nagants runs more on the hex side because of the Finns that I own versus Russian rifles. It's probably more like 75% hex or better.

I understand that Savage/Stevens made some Mosins back in the day along with some other American manufacturers. I'd love to have a Mosin that was made in the US just because. How rare are these and how does one tell?

I'm going to buy my first Mosin sometime in the next two weeks - not going to start with anything rare, just whatever North Shore has in stock - but I am curious about American Mosins.

ETA - never mind. Apparently I forgot about the existence of something called Google and I solved my problem in about three seconds.

Yeah, and the answer was "not very rare." Somewhere between 1.5 and 2 million. Which is cool, because i think that means I should eventually be able to own one.

i have been calling around and cannot find a gunstop in NH that sells Mosin Nagants can anyone help me

Collectable Arms and Ammo In Merrimack NH has quite a few in good condition... Good prices on both the Round and Hex receivers plus good deals on spam can ammo for the rifle....I picked up one last week.

Unlike other store in the area they didn't mind me spending time evaluating ther10+ rifles they had on the floor.

They were helpful... no presure to buy ... I learned a lot about the different models/vears. I'd check them out if your slill looking to buy one.

I understand that Savage/Stevens made some Mosins back in the day along with some other American manufacturers. I'd love to have a Mosin that was made in the US just because. How rare are these and how does one tell?

I'm going to buy my first Mosin sometime in the next two weeks - not going to start with anything rare, just whatever North Shore has in stock - but I am curious about American Mosins.

ETA - never mind. Apparently I forgot about the existence of something called Google and I solved my problem in about three seconds.

Watch out for those Mosin's. They seem to multiply like Rabbits.[grin]

Yes, I'm sure that a google search helped.

The American manufacturers were New England Westinghouse, and Remington Arms.

Huh. I was reading the Stevens wiki page and it says they produced a version of the Mosin for the Russian government during WWI, but I can't find anything else that elaborates. It's certainly possible that the wiki page is wrong, given that this particular passage doesn't have a cite. Is it possible Stevens was manufacturing under the name of either Remington or Westinghouse for these rifles? It appears that Stevens wasn't bought out by anybody until after WWI when Savage partnered with them, so if they were really manufacturing Mosins during WWI it was a when they were independently owned.

Anyone know anything about it?

Collectable Arms and Ammo In Merrimack NH has quite a few in good condition... Good prices on both the Round and Hex receivers plus good deals on spam can ammo for the rifle....I picked up one last week.

Unlike other store in the area they didn't mind me spending time evaluating ther10+ rifles they had on the floor.

They were helpful... no presure to buy ... I learned a lot about the different models/vears. I'd check them out if your slill looking to buy one.

This is good to know. I called them yesterday and they said they had a bunch in stock. I will be driving up tomorrow to look at some. Do you remember the prices on the spam cans??

Huh. I was reading the Stevens wiki page and it says they produced a version of the Mosin for the Russian government during WWI, but I can't find anything else that elaborates. It's certainly possible that the wiki page is wrong, given that this particular passage doesn't have a cite. Is it possible Stevens was manufacturing under the name of either Remington or Westinghouse for these rifles? It appears that Stevens wasn't bought out by anybody until after WWI when Savage partnered with them, so if they were really manufacturing Mosins during WWI it was a when they were independently owned.

Anyone know anything about it?

Before being combined with the Savage Company in 1920, the Stevens factory was turned over to New England Westinghouse - who produced the rifles for the Tzar's contract. But the Stevens name was never associated with the Mosin Nagant in any other way.

http://ugca.org/03mar/savage.htm

So it sounds more like Stevens leased the factory to NEW to make rifles rather than Stevens actually contracting to make the rifles? Am I interpretting that page the same way everyone else is?

So it sounds more like Stevens leased the factory to NEW to make rifles rather than Stevens actually contracting to make the rifles? Am I interpretting that page the same way everyone else is?

I've neevr seen or heard of a Stevens Mosin Nagant.

I've got money in hand to go buy my first Mosin and a ton of ammo to shoot it, but I can't get to the shop for another three days. I'm dying here.

I've got money in hand to go buy my first Mosin and a ton of ammo to shoot it, but I can't get to the shop for another three days. I'm dying here.

Hang in there buddy. Just remember they tend to multiply;). Enjoy they are a great shooting rifle. Before the gun buying madness started there was a sale on 7.62x54R. $73.99 for 440. I think that round may go up a little but should stay reasonable. Got to feed those Mosins!
Congrats on your purchase!

Bah. I went to get one (was thinking about getting two, to be honest) the day before yesterday and they were out at Northshore Firearms. They always have Mosins in stock. I ended up walking out with a Ruger 10/22 because I couldn't bring myself to leave empty handed. I'll head back up in a week or two - they expect to have some back in stock by then. I could say a little money and get one now by traveling, but I like the guys at NSF and I'll just wait and get one when they come in there.

Hang in there buddy. Just remember they tend to multiply;). Enjoy they are a great shooting rifle. Before the gun buying madness started there was a sale on 7.62x54R. $73.99 for 440. I think that round may go up a little but should stay reasonable. Got to feed those Mosins!
Congrats on your purchase!

+1 on that. I just ordered the last two hex Mosins at AIM store.Gonna get them on Thursday. That makes 4 for me, including the mint M38 that I got a couple days ago from a NES member.2013, number 5? When does it stop?

i have been calling around and cannot find a gunstop in NH that sells Mosin Nagants can anyone help me

Collectors arms and Ammo in Merrimack NH has a bunch of them (10 +) last week. Both the round and hex receivers,,, they even had a Westinghouse !
I'd give them a call to see what their status is.... they also have cans/crates of ammo for the rifle. I don't remember the can price but they were also selling the russian 20 round "paper bags' taken from cans for $5.00. Thats a pretty good deal as I've seen those "bags" sell at other local gun shops from $7 to $9 Dollars. If your not up for buying a can or crate that a pretty good deal. They also have in stock some ammo for the Mosin that IS NOT corrosive. That ammo is more but still a good value.

Last edited:
+1 on that. I just ordered the last two hex Mosins at AIM store.Gonna get them on Thursday. That makes 4 for me, including the mint M38 that I got a couple days ago from a NES member.2013, number 5? When does it stop?

It never stops, they just keep multiplying.

Folks, I'm hoping that someone can help me identify certain stock markings on my two Mosins.

First, the 91/30:

This page has listed a marking consisting of a rectangle with a single diagonal engraved into the stock. I have a similar mark that's drawn on, not engraved. I also have an engraving of a rectangle with two diagonals.

As you can see in the First picture, there is also a mark has the Russian letters ДП (DP). Not sure what those mean, as well as the circular mark underneath.

This next image has quite a few markings that I am unable to find information on:

Finally, my M38 has this mark:

The only thing that I can possibly think this might be, is a faded soviet symbol but that is quite a wild guess, as I can't really see the symbol there.

I've been trying to peruse guns.ru but getting nowhere so far. Any help would be appreciated.

Folks, I'm hoping that someone can help me identify certain stock markings on my two Mosins.

First, the 91/30:

This page has listed a marking consisting of a rectangle with a single diagonal engraved into the stock. I have a similar mark that's drawn on, not engraved. I also have an engraving of a rectangle with two diagonals.

As you can see in the First picture, there is also a mark has the Russian letters ДП (DP). Not sure what those mean, as well as the circular mark underneath.

This next image has quite a few markings that I am unable to find information on:

Finally, my M38 has this mark:

The only thing that I can possibly think this might be, is a faded soviet symbol but that is quite a wild guess, as I can't really see the symbol there.

I've been trying to peruse guns.ru but getting nowhere so far. Any help would be appreciated.

The square divided is a rearsenal mark. So its been through the mill. The others?
I spent hours on 762x54r.net and also other forums still have several marks u known. I gave up and went shooting .

Well I got my hands on my first Mosin. Tonight begins the love hate relationship with stripping off the cosmo.........my wife bought me the rifle and I'm a happy guy. We'll see how happy she is with the smell of melting ccosmoline tonight. I'm going to try boiling water. Oh...the rifle........1940 Izhevsk round receiver low wall. stock looks great no dings........it is not counterbored.....which I have heard mixed reviews on......I plan this to be a shooter so am actually interested in how it groups at 75 to 100 yards so already have a plan to raise the front site with wire coating if need be. I'll know Saturday!

As far as my interest in this rifle I am a lover of history.....especially WW2 history. I love guns and it just seems like a great way to combine two of my interests and get into some milsurp collecting. It is my second mislurp as I own an M1 Garand (1943). Putting these two rifles side by side tells a story all on its own.....in a tangible fully functional way. The US with its capitalist economy went for the utmost in modern technology for the time with amazing quality control in their main battle rifle. The soviets went with the most basic rifle that could be mass produced cheaply for the average soldier of their time in theirs. You can see and feel the difference in these two rifles as they speak on their own the tale of the two most powerful allied forces against the Nazis. Totally different political and social systems with the same goal......its pretty cool! Next I want a Mauser!

When you put the two rifles together you know what they say? You need more guns.[laugh]

All set with the clean up. Boiling water is the way to go on the metal parts. Used a rubber made bin and kept pouring the water in using a funnel......cosmo came right out of the chamber and bore.......just let the bolt boil for a few minutes and the melted cosmo just floats to the surface. Cleaned the bore with hopes after and left it wet! Hair dryer and a rag cleaned the wood parts no problem!

can't wait to put some ammo through it!

Pic is next to my M1:
1496665_753552827990291_1352686593_n.jpg

Last edited:
Just got back from a weekend stay at my army buddies house. He has Vietnam '68' take-home Mosin Nagant still unopened in original packing with tags and papers. I can verify it's/he's the real deal. I know it seems insane to be 'parking it' unopened for 47 years...but you have to know him...lol

Just got back from a weekend stay at my army buddies house. He has Vietnam '68' take-home Mosin Nagant still unopened in original packing with tags and papers. I can verify it's/he's the real deal. I know it seems insane to be 'parking it' unopened for 47 years...but you have to know him...lol
Worth more as it is imo. Thats a safe queen.

Back
Top Bottom