• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mosin Nagant Rifle Information

50 BMG

Mosin Nagant Collector
NES Life Member
Just a quick note to all of you Mosin Nagant Rifle collectors out there. Most of you know of this web site I am about to list but I wanted to pass it on for folks that are not collectors or owners of the Russian rifle, Mosin Nagant. The web site not only provides tech information about the rifles but ammo info. from all of the countries that made the 7.62X54R round. There are plenty of photos to help ID your rifle and what some of the markings found on the rifles mean.

I have collected for 30+ years and learn something new about these rifles every day. Please share any info you may have picked up over the years. I enjoy nothing more, well maybe going to the range[wink], than talking about the history of these rifles.

I hope you find it helpful.

The site address is www.7.62X54R.net.

God Bless our Troops

Last edited:
I'm moving it to the Mil-Surp forum as a more appropriate location, leaving a shadow and making it a Sticky.

Let's keep it as a good resource thread on the MN rifles.

Thanks.

Great site!

I have indirectly stumbled across your site a little while ago. I had been looking for information about the Mosin Nagant I had bought at a local gun shop. The information on your website has been extremely helpful. Keep up the great work.

i have been calling around and cannot find a gunstop in NH that sells Mosin Nagants can anyone help me

Try the following shop, he specializes in Milsurp and is a good guy.

Terry Goode
Collectors Firearms & Militaria
122 Bridge St., Unit 9
Pelham, NH 03076
(603) 635-9699

Another person that is close but he is in Ma.

Stoney Acre Sports
Sutton Ma
508-865-4401
He has 91/30's and M44's .
All matching no electro pencil

One of my favorite places is Riley's in Hooksett N.H. he has some nice stuff. Well worth the ride.

Last edited:
Quick question, I have the opertunity to pick up a Russian trainer, it looks like a Mosin Nagant but it is chambered in .22, the gun is in 85-90% condition I have never seen one of these before. any thought on them?

The Romanian 22 trainers flooded the market a few months back. The Russian ones are a bit harder to find. Check to see if it has a Tula mark on the receiver. I picked one up at a show recently for $80. There is one on GB that the guy is saying was a "North Korean sniper" rifle. Yes a sniper rifle! He wants $400. Oh well I guess everybody needs to make a buck somewhere.

They are neat to own especially if you are into collecting. They are accurate enough as long as the bore is OK.But then that is true for any rifle. Don't expect the same accuracy as you would get form a CMP Kimber. If the price is right and you got a few bucks to spare what the heck go for it. I love mine. I bring it to the range and tell folks its the red headed step child of the M38. [smile]

thanks for the info. the reason I was mostly interested in it is I have a 1922 M2 Springfield trainer and I thought it might make a neat addition

Quick question, I have the opertunity to pick up a Russian trainer, it looks like a Mosin Nagant but it is chambered in .22, the gun is in 85-90% condition I have never seen one of these before. any thought on them?

Sounds like a Polish WZ48. Looks for the most part like a Mosin. They're fairly rare but can be found on auction sites, average price is about $250.

Shot my first Mosin yesterday at the frosty shoot. Its the next on my list! My C&R came in a few weeks ago so now its time to use it! Now I just have to find a good place to get one! Anyone have any suggestions, the suggestions in the earlier posts were from a couple years ago, any current suggestions would be great. Im hooked, that was an awesome rifle!

Try Gunboards.com. They have guys who are selling off some of their collections. These are private sales not dealers.

Hey thanks 50!! I'll check them out. I have my License but not the rules packet yet. If I find something I want, how does this all work? I send a copy of my License signed(Of course not the original that I know to leave blank), they send it to me, I put it in my Bound book and fill out an FA-10??

Last edited:
Hey thanks 50!! I'll check them out. I have my License but not the rules packet yet. If I find something I want, how does this all work? I send a copy of my License signed(Of course not the original that I know to leave blank), they send it to me, I put it in my Bound book and fill out an FA-10??

Ask the seller for a copy of his FFL, you send him/her a copy of yours and when the rifle arrives you put it in your FFL bound book. Make sure you put ALL of the numbers found on the receiver of the rifle. Some importers put serial numbers on the rifles and its not always the original receiver number. Then complete a FA10 and send it in. The seller will not be signing it but I have been told you must send a FA10 in. I don't even want to start that debate, trolling lawyers on this site have a field day with that topic. Its not worth the trouble. Keep the copy of the FA10 just as if it was a private sale and your good to go.
I would suggest you look for a M39 Finn. Much better in the accuracy department.

Enjoy, just be careful, Mosin's multiply[wink]

Awesome!! Thanks 50!! I was going to ask you what I should look for too. I'll keep my eye out for that M39 Finn!

Here a couple more sites for everyone. Great Folks to do business with also.

XXXXXXX for Finnish M-39's and some M44's, M38's and Antique M-39's (which I am the proud owner of one)

XXXXXXX For Mosins, Swiss K rifles , Mausers, and British 303 Lee- Enfields

These are some of the best prices and surplus stock around, IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very interested in Mosins used in the Spanish Civil War, especially with markings on them by the Spanish Republicans. Have you seen much of that? Same for the Russian Civil War.

Are the Hex's more rare than the rounded ones?

I saw a YT video saying they were, but just wanted to double check on here. :)

Are the Hex's more rare than the rounded ones?

I saw a YT video saying they were, but just wanted to double check on here. :)

They seem to be a bit rarer and more desirable, but not terribly so. There is a website (can't remember where) that has a chart of most Mosin Nagant variants, and rates them by rarity. My 1943 Ishvesk (sp?) round receiver was rated as a 1 out of 10 (most common). My 1931 Tula hex receiver was rated as a 2 out of 10 (pretty damn common). They are typically the same price if you find them on the rack at a shop. And they shoot the same.

They seem to be a bit rarer and more desirable, but not terribly so. There is a website (can't remember where) that has a chart of most Mosin Nagant variants, and rates them by rarity. My 1943 Ishvesk (sp?) round receiver was rated as a 1 out of 10 (most common). My 1931 Tula hex receiver was rated as a 2 out of 10 (pretty damn common). They are typically the same price if you find them on the rack at a shop. And they shoot the same.

Are you referring to the link in Post #1? [wink]

Hex recievers

Hex receivers are not "rare" they were ceased due to the length of time to make them and during war time a round receiver took much less time. if you look at a round receiver dated 1942-43 at the height of their production the receivers are round and very rough machine marks.
I suggest the Collectors guide to Mosins, a great book or go to 7.62x54R.net. All you would ever want to know about Mosins.

Back
Top Bottom