Davis v. Grimes

Technically, it's probably going to go away. Weymouth and Peabody are issuing mostly unrestricted at the moment and this is a win for us in the sense that things have improved in those two towns. But it's a loss in that there is no court ruling. There is a new case that we have filed which will pick up where this case has left off. That's against New Bedford, Winchester and Lowell.

For what it is worth, my father-in-law was up for renewal in Weymouth. He got unrestricted this time around. I submitted my ALP application on April 23rd with Weymouth, and it is currently in the FRB box in the flow chart. The status line said the town has approved mine ( could not give me information on restrictions ), and I should expect the FRB process to take 2-3 weeks. I will follow up with what I got as a First Time Applicant.

Please do. We are always looking for info on how towns are performing, especially when we have them in the cross hairs... [grin]

Received my LTC today in Weymouth. First time applicant. Unrestricted. Simple and fair interview process. Still required to submit letters of reccomendation and letter of reasoning, live fire target.

All in all, The hoops I had to jump through were smooth. Unrestricted LTC, nice guy, new licensing officer. Weymouth may not be a red town anymore.

How did you meet the live fire target requirement? A friend of mine just got his LTC in Weymouth and didn't mention that. He had to do everything else you listed. He got unrestricted as well.

Received my LTC today in Weymouth. First time applicant. Unrestricted. Simple and fair interview process. Still required to submit letters of reccomendation and letter of reasoning, live fire target.

All in all, The hoops I had to jump through were smooth. Unrestricted LTC, nice guy, new licensing officer. Weymouth may not be a red town anymore.

How did you meet the live fire target requirement? A friend of mine just got his LTC in Weymouth and didn't mention that. He had to do everything else you listed. He got unrestricted as well.

The he course I took at hunters trading post in weymouth included a live fire component. I met an NRA cert instructor at Braintree pistol and rifle and shot some 22, 38sp, 9. Once I was "comfortable" I had to hit a target from ~25 out 15/20 or something like that. He signed the target and I brought it to interview. Pretty simple stuff to be honest. That is the one thing I am actually for... Is tp
require someone to actually shoot a real gun before getting an LTC. I've seen too many people who have gotten an LTC that have never shot even a 22.

The he course I took at hunters trading post in weymouth included a live fire component. I met an NRA cert instructor at Braintree pistol and rifle and shot some 22, 38sp, 9. Once I was "comfortable" I had to hit a target from ~25 out 15/20 or something like that. He signed the target and I brought it to interview. Pretty simple stuff to be honest. That is the one thing I am actually for... Is tp
require someone to actually shoot a real gun before getting an LTC. I've seen too many people who have gotten an LTC that have never shot even a 22.

I used to be like you. I thought, "guns are dangerous, we should make sure only responsible people have them!" I thought mandatory safety classes were a good idea. Then I saw what power-tripping chiefs of police do when given the power to use their "discretion" in issuing licenses, and now I believe that any hurdle placed in front of someone who wants to own a gun is a violation of their rights, and is designed to discourage gun ownership. Requiring live fire in order to get an LTC is just another one of those hurdles.

Hang around for a while, and I'll bet you'll change your view too.

If Jerry Miculek moved to MA, he would have to take the state certified firearms safety course and, if you had your druthers, shoot live fire in front of an "instructor." I am a certified firearms instructor and a competitor. I can safely say that there is not a single thing I could teach Jerry M. about shooting.

I have taught MA certified firearms safety courses for money. I am absolutely against any government mandate for training. I am absolutely in favor of shooters voluntarily getting training appropriate to their interests, finances, and schedule.

If Jerry Miculek moved to MA, he would have to take the state certified firearms safety course and, if you had your druthers, shoot live fire in front of an "instructor." I am a certified firearms instructor and a competitor. I can safely say that there is not a single thing I could teach Jerry M. about shooting.
Agreed, but you could probably teach him a few things about MA law, which is a key part of the course. (Not an argument for a mandatory course; just an observation)

It would be amusing to see Jerry take the Moon Island test [grin] If the cop administering it blinked, he would miss everything.

Last month the court granted Weymouth's motion to dismissed based upon Weymouth revising their licensing policy. Both Peabody and Weymouth appear to now have shall issue licensing policies (i.e. they're 'green' in NES parlance) and it wasn't practical to attempt to move this litigation forward when the defendants have largely addressed the harm alleged by the plaintiffs.

If you have a restricted license issued by either Peabody or Weymouth, now would be the time to request a removal of your restrictions. We have independent confirmation that both towns are reissuing LTCs to those who request it.

Last month the court granted Weymouth's motion to dismissed based upon Weymouth revising their licensing policy. Both Peabody and Weymouth appear to now have shall issue licensing policies (i.e. they're 'green' in NES parlance) and it wasn't practical to attempt to move this litigation forward when the defendants have largely addressed the harm alleged by the plaintiffs.

If you have a restricted license issued by either Peabody or Weymouth, now would be the time to request a removal of your restrictions. We have independent confirmation that both towns are reissuing LTCs to those who request it.

Awesome news! Progress is being made.

Awesome news! Progress is being made.
Mixed bag. This does not solve the problem generally, but also removes the risk the case would go against us. The tide seems to be shifting, and fewer towns are hold outs on the "restriction issue". Perhaps we will get to the point where all we have left is Brookline ... I'm sure they would go to trial before issuing an unconnected person an ALP.

i got an email from comm2A inquiring about my restricted licence in Watertown so i responded fyi. my issuance was a few days after the cut off listed though.

A heads up for those interested (comm2a?). Weymouth is still playing games post-dismissal. If you ask for restrictions to be lifted (via hand delivered letter), you will not get an updated ltc card. They will tell you "the system now says 'no restrictions'" when you call to check on the status, but they will then go on to say that your new card must have been lost in the mail. When you call back weeks or months later, it's the same story "lost in the mail again, we'll order another card" ad Nauseum.. So this issue really isn't resolved from what I'm seeing and hearing from others.

A heads up for those interested (comm2a?). Weymouth is still playing games post-dismissal. If you ask for restrictions to be lifted (via hand delivered letter), you will not get an updated ltc card. They will tell you "the system now says 'no restrictions'" when you call to check on the status, but they will then go on to say that your new card must have been lost in the mail. When you call back weeks or months later, it's the same story "lost in the mail again, we'll order another card" ad Nauseum.. So this issue really isn't resolved from what I'm seeing and hearing from others.

Please have them call Comm2A. Comm2A needs to speak directly with a person getting jerked around by them.

Brutal. I tried saying earlier that Weymouth was still playing games. Some towns will never learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom