595 Jaffrey Road
Peterborough, NH 03458

mrgci.com

Contact Info:
Club Phone: 603-532-7306
Club Email: contact AT mrgci.com

Application

Directions:
Coming from the north/east on Route 202W, cross Route 101 in Peterborough heading toward Jaffrey ...travel about 3.1 miles, and as you're heading up a long, right-hand curve that starts to switchback left, look for a break in the guardrail on your right, soon after you pass Community Lane on your left, and just as the road widens to two westbound lanes. It's a sharp turn into the Gun Club entrance. If you pass Lehtinen Rd. on your right, and Davidson Rd. on your left then you just missed the turnoff.

Coming from the south/west driving northbound on 202E, drive to the lights in downtown Jaffrey (Routes 202, 124, and 137 meet here), follow 202 (202E) for a bit over 3.1 miles. As soon as you pass Lehtinen Rd. (on your left) and Davidson Rd. on your right on a long right-hand downhill curve, look for the small Quaker Meeting sign on your right, slow down and prepare to turn, the Club entrance will be at a break in-the-guardrail on your left. If you pass Community Lane on your right, then you just passed the Club.

GPS:
Latitude: 42.83813° (N42° 50.283')
Longitude: -71.98155° (W71° 59.167')

Board and Officers for 2015:

• Officers:
    • President: Mark Carbone
      Vice President: Tom Harvey
      Secretary: Jim Pickford
      Treasurer: Stephanie Ethier

• Board of Directors:
    • Martin Bowen
      Ken Caisse
      Jenifer Rukstela
      Al Straitiff
      Butch Taylor
      Chris Tremblay
Upcoming Events on the MRGCI Schedule for 2015[SIZE=-2] as of December 13, 2014:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1] Mar 29 - Easter Ham Shoot - paper targets at 25 yards using Club shot …win your Easter Ham
Apr 4 - Excruciathlon IV Mudder Biathlon Shoot – open to NES and Club Members
Apr 16, 18 & 19 - Hunter Education Course NHF&G Full 3-Day Course – combined Hunter Ed - Bowhunter Ed
Apr 21 - 3D Archery Season Opener – 30 3D targets - runs weekly Sundays & Tuesdays – Open to the Public
May 2 - NES Spring Trigger Breakout V - Car Shoot
May 6 - Weekly Wednesday Iron Sights Rimfire Shoot Series Opener – All summer long – Open to the Public
May 16, 17 - RWVA Project Appleseed Marksmanship and History – Beginner to Advanced
Jun 6 - 68th Annual Robert C. Heywood Memorial Children's Fishing Derby Since 1947, Free to all area children
Jun 7 - MRGCI Member's Fishing Derby – Member's Only Fishing Derby 50-50
Jun 13 - NES 4th Annual Dave Hanan Car Shoot
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Jul 11 – Member's Day – Ruger Shoot, BBQ, and Band
Jun 18 - CMARS-Ruger-Access Outdoors New England -Crotched Mountain Rehab Shoot 1 of 5 in the series
Jul 16 - CMARS-Ruger-Access Outdoors New England -Crotched Mountain Rehab Shoot 2 of 5 in the series
Jul 25 – 2nd Amendment Celebration Day - Re-enactments, Fireworks, Cannon, Firearms/2A-related vendors, Pro 2A Groups, Pro Hunting/Firearms Sports Groups
Aug 6 - CMARS-Ruger-Access Outdoors New England -Crotched Mountain Rehab Shoot 3 of 5 in the series
Aug 15 - NES Gunpowderpig Firearms Festival VII Pig Roast & Car Shoot
Aug 20 - CMARS-Ruger-Access Outdoors New England -Crotched Mountain Rehab Shoot 4 of 5 in the series
Aug 27, 29 & 30 - Hunter Education Course NHF&G Full 3-Day Course – combined Hunter Ed - Bowhunter Ed
Sep 10 - CMARS-Ruger-Access Outdoors New England -Crotched Mountain Rehab Shoot 5 of 5 in the series
Sep 12 – 4th Annual Dave Hanan Memorial 3D Archery Shoot
Oct 17, 18 - RWVA Project Appleseed Marksmanship and History– Beginner to Advanced
Nov 7 - NES Pumpkin Blast VI Pumpkin & Scarecrow Shoot
Nov 8 - Turkey Shoot- paper targets at 25 yards using Club shot …win your Thanksgiving Turkey[/SIZE]

Dates to be set: Granite State Bowhunters 3D Shoots, Becoming an Outdoors Woman Event - NHF&G BOW, Game Supper, Sight-In Day, Trap Shoot Series
About Membership at Monadnock Rod and Gun Club:

Members enjoy the several areas of outdoor sportsmanship that we have to offer at Monadnock Rod & Gun Club, as well as all the ranges and our annually stocked trout pond. All in all, it is an incredibly relaxing place to just sit by the pond, walk the 30+ target 3D archery trails throughout the woods, picnic and barbecue under the pavilion or use our 50 and 200 yard pistol/small bore rifle and high-power rifle ranges.
How do I apply for Membership at Monadnock Rod and Gun Club?
We currently have only one type of Membership. It's called a "Household Membership". It covers 2 adults (that means 2 individuals at least 18 years old ...could be husband/wife, parent/adult child, etc.), and as many "youths" that live under the same roof. A "youth" is anyone aged 17 years and under.

The cost for a "Household Membership" is $75 annually, and the Membership term is not pro-rated, It runs from January 1st till December 31st To remain as a "Member in Good Standing" ...meaning a Member that is working toward an "Equity Membership" (after 5 contiguous/consecutive years of being a "Member in Good Standing", you become an "Equity" Member). If you maintain your Membership, you retain the same Membership number annually. If you quit the Club, or do not renew by the second Monday of the following March, you lose equity, and the accrued time count begins anew.

To reiterate: If you do not renew your Membership by the second Monday of March the following year, you are no longer a "Member in Good Standing", you lose your "Equity Member" status if applicable and you must re-apply by filling out an application, and naming a sponsor. All that is required to remain as a Member in Good Standing, is to renew your Membership by the second Monday of March every year, and in the interim, not do something to harm the Club, have a significant conviction from Fish & Game, or be convicted of a felony. After five consecutive years of being a Member in Good Standing, you become an "Equity Member".

NOTE: The "2nd Monday in March" deadline for "Equity Membership" is in no way related to, or a reservation for your Membership slot. On January 1st of every year, the total Membership count begins anew (unless you have already paid for that year's Membership prior to January 1st). So, waiting until the 2nd Monday in March may well be too late, and the Membership may be full by then, meaning that though you were a paid "Member in Good Standing" in the previous year or years. If you delay renewing too long, you may be out of luck if the cap is reached before that time.

We reserve the right to do a background check at the time of application.

We require* that all prospective Members have a sponsor, and while you are not required to appear at the meeting when you come up for a vote, we do appreciate those who show up in person. A Membership vote will not occur without a check, MO, or cash payment received either before or on the day of the vote, along with a completed application. You are not a Member until a successful vote has occurred and payment and all terms delineated on the application have been met.

The membership application process is simple. Membership applications can be acquired from the mailbox attached to the bulletin board at the Club’s entrance, via email request, by telephone then US Mail or you may download and print out an application by clicking the link "Membership Application" in the left-hand column of any page on the Club’s website (mrgci.com).

MRGCI Membership Application Form: http://www.mrgci.com/MRGCApp.pdf

Votes occur just once per month at the monthly Member's Meeting (2nd Monday of each month) as the prospective Member’s names are read, then (assuming a quorum, and that all terms of the application have been met and payment has been made) put to the assembled Membership for a vote. Once voted-in, you will receive a Membership card for each adult. Each card shares the Membership number, the Member's name, and the combination to the lock on our entrance gate.

There is an annually stocked fishing pond on the Club's grounds. To fish the annually stocked pond requires a "Fish Stamp", acquired by paying an additional $10 fee for each adult who wishes to fish in the Club's pond. The "Fish Stamp" is placed on the paying adult Member's Membership Card. That money is earmarked for stocking the pond. Any youth covered under a household Membership may fish for free when accompanied by an adult Member (the adult Member does not require a fish stamp in this instance, as long as they do not fish). For those who wish to fish, the $10 fee may be paid at the time of application, or anytime thereafter.

We currently have a 250 Member cap in place. When that cap is reached, prospective applicants will be placed on a chronological "waiting" list where applicants will be notified as Memberships become available through attrition. That's until the new year starts. If current Members have not renewed by January 1st the opportunity for new applicants becomes available. And if a current Member has not renewed by the second Monday of March, they will lose their "Equity" status and risk losing their spot to an applicant on the waiting list.

* We understand that sometimes it is unreasonable to expect that someone who is new to the area to have an acquaintance who is a current Club Member for sponsorship. In these cases, we expect that the prospective applicant discuss this deficit with the Club, and if a waiver is granted, the prospective Member must appear at the meeting when the vote for Membership occurs.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: What does a membership offer me?
A: A membership entitles you to use and access to the Club, with the exceptions of private rentals, and some specific events**. We offer a sole membership called a Household Membership, and base it upon a single dwelling. A membership covers up to two adult (aged 18 years and older) persons living in the same dwelling (apartment or house). It includes any youths living in the same dwelling who are the children or legal responsibility of said adults. Either or both of these individuals can bring their children, who are 17 years old and younger, to the club and use the Club's facilities under their supervision. All persons including children in the household 18 years and older must be a paid member in order to use the rifle range, pond or archery butts. Unless use of the ranges is as a guest of their parent or legal guardian as long as guest fees are paid. All persons must be members of the Club in order to use the facilities and intended implied implements (firearms / bow & arrow / rod & reel). A Member may invite guests to the Club: refer to the “Can a Member invite a guest to the Club?” in this FAQ section below. Cost to fish the pond for members is $10 per adult member per year. Your membership card must be stamped with the fishing permit.

** Please refer to the Club’s online “Events Calendar” for the last-word in scheduled events and the effects on the membership’s availability for use of the ranges, practice areas, pond and pavilion. That link can be found on the Club website’s homepage in the left-hand navigation column.

Q: What if there are more adults in the dwelling?
A: Memberships carry up to two adults per application. If there are more than two adults who wish membership, then an additional application must be completed and membership fee sent in as well.

Q: How much is a membership?
A: A membership is $75 per year.

Q: I don't have a sponsor, can I still be a member?
A: Members who referred you will be written down as a sponsor. The sponsor's duty is to act as a "mentor" of sorts and show the person 'the ropes'. It sounds worse than it is, but a person signing as a sponsor is held partially accountable for any incidents or faux pas that the new member might commit during the 1-year review period which all new members are subject to. If you do not have a sponsor because you are new to the area, or for some other reason, then please leave the line blank, submit your application, and you will be contacted by a Club Officer.

Q: When do memberships expire?
A: Memberships expire on December 31st and are not pro-rated. All persons who let their membership expire will be considered new members if they send in membership dues after the second Monday of March the year after the membership expires, and are then subject to the 1-year review period as a new member.

Q: Do I get a key or something to get into the club?
A: Members receive a 4-digit combination number to the padlock on the gate, it is written on the back of their membership card. Dial the 4-digit number, open the small, latched door, retrieve the key attached to the chain, open the padlock, return the key to the enclosure, close the door, spin the combination to hide the combo, and then hang the lock on the gate. Pin or clasp the open gate to the post on the right-hand side of the entryway.
Q: Can a Member invite a guest to the Club?
A: Yes, a Member may invite a guest to use the 3D Archery Course as long as the course fee is paid and the guest is accompanied by a host Member. Guests may also use the Firearms Range as long as they are accompanied by their host Member, and the guest fee has been paid. Guests cannot fish in the Club’s pond.

Members are responsible for their guest’s behavior and actions while on Club property.

Q: I still have questions... how can I get them answered?
A: You can call the club at 532-7306, or you can email the Club at [email protected]... which may result in a faster response especially during the cold weather months.

Information Current
As of Dec. 13, 2014

Last edited:
I am surprised no one posts in here. I will have to change that. [laugh]

Who from NES is members here? I'd like to meet up with new people and go shooting every now and then.

I have been shooting 2 times since I moved up to NH. It's a little weird not having set ranges, or lanes where to put things. Sometimes I wonder if I am doing something wrong, but you figure it out after a little bit. [laugh]

I also have taken my dog there a couple times with my girls to go walking and a little 'hiking'. Lots of room there for him to run around. I clean up after my dog if he goes, don't worry. [wink]

Anyway, I look forward to meeting some people who shoot up there. I am sure we will run into eachother eventually.

I am surprised no one posts in here. I will have to change that. [laugh]

The thread's fairly new ....June 19th of this year. I simply noticed that there wasn't one, and voila.

Who from NES is members here? I'd like to meet up with new people and go shooting every now and then.

Hmmm ...offhand there's me, derek, Navy Moose, gunner30, Twigg, Bill Katt, namedpipes, tripwire, Heavy Hitter, xtry51, wannabmudn, Acme.Armament, Nicole, I think Eddie Coyle is still a member, drgrant, NH-GP100, AWS (American Weapon Systems), ntomsw (yourself), NHatHeart ??, ...that's off-the-top ...and it's almost 3 bells, and I've got a Hunter Ed class to teach that starts at 7:15 ....yeaaaah.

I have been shooting 2 times since I moved up to NH. It's a little weird not having set ranges, or lanes where to put things. Sometimes I wonder if I am doing something wrong, but you figure it out after a little bit. [laugh]

You're in NH, you have a gun in your hand, the bullets are striling the berm ...what could be wrong?

Seriously though, the 50 yarder is brandy new, and sometime after the 10th, I will be laying down the lanes and posting the yardage signs.

I also have taken my dog there a couple times with my girls to go walking and a little 'hiking'. Lots of room there for him to run around. I clean up after my dog if he goes, don't worry. [wink]

Glad to hear it, the penalties are severe. And the bows are silent.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting some people who shoot up there. I am sure we will run into each other eventually.

I'm there quite often ...was there from about 7:45pm tonight till 1:30am or so. I don't do marathons on-the-range ...just 20 minutes here, twenty minutes there, sometimes several times per week. So we're bound to cross paths.

And remember, keep an eye on the schedule online ...our Event Calendar. It is the final arbiter regarding when things are happening and when areas of the Club are open or not. I just edited the calendar when I got home this morning. A rental (that's been set since the end of March) that was to run from 5pm till after midnight has been cancelled. So the firearms range will be available till dusk after the Hunter Ed class is released today. For months it's ben filled, and now it's open. Lesson, always check the Event Calendar before heading to the Club.

I am a recent new member (as Monadnock mentioned) and was up there Friday all afternoon till about dusk. The 50rd setup is new and very nice.

I pretty much had the range to myself all day until about 1900 when a trio showed up. This was rather convenient since I was trying to get the '30 sighted in, the scope on it isn't all that powerful and I don't have a spotters scope.

3 rounds
Walk 100 yards down
Check/mark target
Walk 100 yards back
repeat until 1) you get it sighted in or 2) your shoes wear out.

I have to say, I like the club and the range very much.

I'll be (hopefully) joining in September perhaps. I've been there multiple times with gunner30 and love the range. I was just there yesterday (8/4/13) with him and Navy Moose, and got to see the new 50 yard range for the first time - It looks amazing out there with the two ranges now. It's going to be absolutely beautiful with yardage markers and all. Keep up the great work, I love the place! :)

I'll be (hopefully) joining in September perhaps. I've been there multiple times with gunner30 and love the range. I was just there yesterday (8/4/13) with him and Navy Moose, and got to see the new 50 yard range for the first time - It looks amazing out there with the two ranges now. It's going to be absolutely beautiful with yardage markers and all. Keep up the great work, I love the place! :)

Yep, walked over and said "Hi" when I saw you guys there getting some trigger-time in. Rob's always good for getting folks into the sport. About 40 newly minted Hunter Ed students were shooting up there a couple of hours before you guys arrived.

Sometime after the 10th, things'll settle out enough for me to lay down some "official" lines, lanes, and yardage markers. Some green grass on-top, a cool summer breeze, and a full magazine, and it will be a little slice.

We'll have to make some "cap" adjustments at the next meeting in order to have a spot open in September, and I intend to do just that.

Last edited:
Glad to see some guys posting in here.

I am trying to get there again this week if possible, but some family is in town visiting, so not sure if I will have the time.

The longest I have been there so far is an hour. Last week form like 9am-10am, and I was there all by myself. I like shooting with other people, but I also like having things to myself. [thumbsup]

Yeah, I'm the guy that shook your hand then. Rob said I would need to know ya, and Leigh said I would need to kiss your ring haha. Rob has been wanting me to join (probably so I can go there without needing him) so if you get a spot opened, I plan on taking it. I intend to be living up in NH by 2015 anyways, so it only makes sense to join there.

Sent from Slave America (MA)

Yes 200 yards is the furthest.

I haven't been shooting since the last NES shoot. I am conserving ammo for when I go to my buddies place in Michigan next month.

Ok thanks. I forgot I made this post. [laugh]

I haven't been shooting in months, I gotta get back out. Maybe when I finish my AR pistol I'll get out.

It's blasphemy really. Especially when I am so close to the club.

i've only been out twice in two months.

some dude had a problem with where i parked.

was like brah, it's all muddy and shit, i'm gonna shoot this here mag to function test my pistol and then i am leaving, reeeeeeelax.

The transition to winter is nothing compared to spring. I was happier huffing targets down to the 200 yard berm with my snow shoes last winter than I was with what happened when all that snow melted [laugh][sad]

I was shooting this afternoon, trying some interesting 42 grain frangibles in .223. I cleaned around the target shed, the log can, and tipped the picnic tables inpreparation for this weekend. It was nice and quiet. Those frangibles are interesting. I tried them on "softer" material, and the shallow wound pocket is fairly impressive. Otherwise, they poke holes through paper like anything else. I didn't trudge the 200 yards, I just set up at 50, and they went where I aimed.

A dang lid came off one of the barrels. I spotted down at the bottom of the back hill, but it was getting dark by the time that I got the gumption to climb down, so there it sits. I tipped the barrel so that it's not a snow collector till I get back. "They" say that we might get up to 10" of snow this weekend, so I have to attempt retrieval before then, or it won't come out till spring. Time to empty the trash in any case.

BTW, the Club has a new Board Member come January 13th ...public congratulations to xtry51's better half, wannabmudn.

Oh, and for those who did not attend the meeting, my Ruger contact verified that part of our Member's Day this year, will be a Ruger shoot day. Perhaps a dozen firearms and free ammo, then a BBQ and band at night. We had Savage do a similar shoot (with Nikon and Hornady) in 2011, and thousands of rounds went down range. Free shootin' fun for Members! The date should be set around the end of January/early February.

The Club schedule so far looks like this accurate as of 121713:

Apr 5 Excruciathlon III Mudder Biathlon Shoot
Apr 6 Easter Ham Shoot
Apr 10, 12 ,13 Hunter Education Course NHF&G Full 3-Day Course
Apr 22 Tuesday 3D Archery Season Opener
Apr 26 NES Spring Trigger Breakout IV - Car Shoot
Apr 27 Sunday 3D Archery Season Opener
May 7 Weekly Wednesday Iron Sights Rimfire Shoot Series Opener
May 31, Jun 1 RWVA Project Appleseed Marksmanship and History
Jun 7 67th Annual Robert C. Heywood Memorial Children's Fishing Derby
Jun 8 MRGCI Member's Fishing Derby
Jun 14 NES 3rd Annual Dave Hanan Car Shoot
Jun 26, 28, 29 Hunter Education Course NHF&G Full 3-Day Course
Jul 4 Independence Day
"A day that should be celebrated with pomp and parade, with shows, games,
sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations" John Adams July 3, 1776
Aug 1, 2 (Fri/Sat) WITO - NWTF's Women in the Outdoors
Aug 9 Bryant Rental
Aug 16 NES Gunpowderpig Firearms Festival VI Pig Roast & Car Shoot
Aug 23 3rd Annual Dave Hanan Memorial 3D Archery Shoot
Sep 4, 6, 7 Hunter Education Course NHF&G Full 3-Day Course
Oct 18, 19 RWVA Project Appleseed Marksmanship and History
Nov 8 NES Pumpkin Blast VI Pumpkin & Scarecrow Shoot
Nov 9 Turkey Shoot

There are going to be a couple of free NRA Home Firearm Safety and Personal Protection in the Home courses held by Club Member Ken C. and myself. Those have not been scheduled yet, along with the aformentioned Ruger Shoot/BBQ/Band Member's Day. And a possible Trap Shoot series on Thursdays too. We are also toying with participating in the Granite State Bowhunters organization once again. If so, that should include at least a couple of 3D Shoots with them at the Club. There also may be a tie-in with some pyrotechnics in our future [smile].

Last edited:
I rescued the cover. Sadly the rest of my trip was a wash. Had to remount my NV scope and like a moron didn't have a spare battery with me. Of course the battery in the scope died halfway through zeroing it [sad]

I rescued the cover. Sadly the rest of my trip was a wash. Had to remount my NV scope and like a moron didn't have a spare battery with me. Of course the battery in the scope died halfway through zeroing it [sad]

Thanks K. I have a few new loads that I want to try out, so I'll probably try and get the barrels emptied before the snow flies.

Back
Top Bottom