2022 NH Critical Gun Bills

Update: See post 3:
For various reasons, I have not had time to review the complete LSR list (Legislative Service Request: AKA Requested bills for 2022) for this session.

I am asking for some help to quickly vet the list so I can help provide alerts on these bills. Please post any 2a LSRs that are important (both good and bad) so that I can catch up. If there are other critical LSRs that we should be aware of post the number with 'other' or with the relevant subject matter.

Here is an example of a bill that might not seen as a possible threat, but in a first pass read, prohibiting RTK requests is always a bad thing particualry when the DOS is involved. Given the list of sponsors and the text, this bill is not good for us.
SB339, relative to meetings of boards and commissions in the department of safety, (RTK and DOS related)

Initial list to watch/follow:
CACR24Election of AG by State Reps and Senators
HB1668Universal gun registration
HB1054State Police Audit
HB1014Virtual public meetings (watch this)
HB1052Rounds of hunting ammo
HB1033Prohibition on public funding of lobbying
HB1268Local Ordinances
HB1326Campaign funding
HB1145Needs review on cars and defense of person
HB1483Arrest of a person and deadly force
HB1636Carry on ATV
HB1178Preemption against Federal
CACR19Paper Ballots
HB1096Display of firearms while voting
HB1151Public display of firearm
HB1310Prohibiting shooting
HB1281Transfer of firearms in police custody
SB348Political contributions

Last edited:
PS. The more notorious LSR is the annual Rogers one:
LSR 2022-2017, HB???, Requiring a background check prior to any commercial firearm sale, Anti 2a bill

First firearms legislation to be heard by the CJ&PS committee was the following: This is the NHFC summary.

NHFC Legislative Activity Report, 26 January 2022: No action required on your part.

Below is a brief summary of currently proposed legislation that we are tracking for you. These are for your awareness only, and no action is requested of you at this time. All of the below seven bills were heard before the House Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee today, January 26th. The great news is that several of the anti-gun bills were voted Inexpedient to Legislate which will make killing them on the floor that much easier.

We trust you will find this information helpful in keeping you informed.

HB 1668 (by the infamous anti-gun Rep. Katherine Rogers, D)
This bill would require people wishing to privately buy or sell a firearm to ensure that the person on the other end of the transaction is not a prior felon. Naturally, the only way to do this with surety is to do a background check, which is impossible for individuals, and would thus compel you to transact a sale through a licensed firearms dealer. This places a chilling effect on private firearms sales, thus constraining your Second Amendment rights.
NHFC supports the Committee Report of Inexpedient to Legislate on HB 1668.

HB 1310 (by Rep. Kevin Verville, R)

This bill would add a provision to current statute making it a violation if a hunter discharges a firearm towards a building, livestock or pets without an owner's permission. Proposed penalties include loss of your hunting license for a year or even for life. This bill would create an environment whereby you could be harassed by those who wish to restrict your Second Amendment rights by leveling exaggerated or false accusations at you.
NHFC supports the Committee Report of Inexpedient to Legislate on HB 1310.

HB 1151-FN (by Rep. David Meuse, D and seven other Democrats)

This proposed piece of legislation would make it a misdemeanor for a person to display on public property any deadly weapon at parades, funerals, vigils, rallies and demonstrations. While it exempts military-style honor guards at funerals as well as the display of weapons in gun racks on trucks, its provisions are so loose and broad as to prohibit weapons carried or driven by Veterans groups in parades. It could also be used to selectively harass you while attending such events merely on the accusation of an unknown person who believes you may have a weapon on you and that you allegedly brandished it.
NHFC supports the Committee Report of Inexpedient to Legislate on HB 1151.

HB 1096-FN (by Rep. David Meuse and seven other Democrats; mix from 1151-FN)

This proposed legislation would essentially create so-called "gun free zones" at polling locations. Not only would it make illegal anyone open carrying a firearm within 100 feet of such polling sites, but even "display" of weapons would be illegal. As "display" is not defined, this proposal could easily be construed to prevent those seeking elective office from having a photograph on a campaign literature showing them with a firearm as part of their support for your Second Amendment rights. Much like HB 1151, noted above, it would create an environment where you could be harassed simply because you may have a firearm with you, and though normally concealed, somebody decided to accuse you of "displaying" your firearm. It would also violate our provisions of open carry.
NHFC supports the Committee Report of Inexpedient to Legislate on HB 1096-FN.

HB 1636 (by Rep. John Burt and 12 other Republicans)

This bill would expand our current Constitutional Carry provisions to allow you to carry a loaded revolver while operating an Off Highway Recreational Vehicle (OHRV). Current law does not allow riders to carry a concealed and loaded firearm, and so this bill expands your Second Amendment rights in line with our Constitutional Carry provisions to allow you to carry a loaded pistol or revolver without a license.
NHFC enthusiastically supports the Committee Report of Ought to Pass on HB 1636.

HB 1178 (by Rep. John Burt and 11 other Republicans)

This bill calls for the non-enforcement of Federal statutes, regulations and Executive Orders regarding firearms and knives when they contradict the laws of New Hampshire. NHFC supports the intent of this proposal, but believes it should be amended so as to avoid damaging your Second Amendment rights by the non-enforcement of Federally enacted laws and regulations that actually support those rights against local ordinances that may restrict them.
Currently, HB 1178 is still in Committee pending recommendations. We will keep you informed when its status changes.

HB 1281-FN (by Rep. Terry Roy, R)

This bill would allow individuals subject to protective court orders to have their firearms retained by another individual for storage, rather than leaving them in the hands of governmental authorities. It would allow you, if subjected to such an order, to still retain the rights to your property and firearms, making it easier to have them returned to you once a protective order is lifted. There were serious drafting issues with the last sentence. We hope that this can be corrected on the House floor with a floor amendment.
NHFC opposes the Committee Report for Interim Study of HB 1281-FN.

Unfortunately, the Committee voted to Interim Study this proposed legislation. NHFC believes that a portion of this legislation should pass this year, and that it is not necessary to "study it" into the next legislative session.

Looks like HB1668 is essentially dead, or am I mistaken?
Not just essentially--totally dead.

The House voted ITL 179-144, meaning it is done. There is no procedure to bring it back, short of a 2/3rds vote to suspend the rules.

Five Democrats voted along with all Republicans to kill it.

Damn tempted to write my local donkeys and ask them to try to kill it with the talking point of BoSs, etc are essentially unpaid volunteers, and some towns can't afford the extra legal fees on their budget.

I just heard that HB307 with the bad amendment is going to be on the floor this week, contact your reps and ask them to support the committee of conference request to fix the bill, otherwise we will need to get this vetoed.
It is in the calendar as a House bill amended by the Senate; those bills can come up at any time and catch members off guard. I trust it will be addressed in caucus, because it is a bill of high interest.

The motion is what matters. If it's Concur, I will vote no. If it's Concur with a Committee of Conference, I will vote yes. If it's Non-Concur, I will also vote yes.

We cannot let the weakening of pre-emption become law. There are towns drooling at the prospect of this.

Any updates ????
Committee report isn't out yet.

The report will eventually be posted on the left here. It will say something like senate committee report.

Testimony starts at 1:31.15ish and lasts for an hour with several pro and anti comments. The cop was good as he debunked the "ghost gun" questions. Lots of regular joes testified as well. What I didn't see was NRA, GOA, or NHFC, but I might have missed them.

icon_video2.png

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q4QVAF1VCk

So the hearing report is out. No committee recommendation yet.

Current Legislation Search

Might be a direct link.

edit, guess not-look on the left for the link
Unimpressed with Captain Victor Muzzey’s testimony. Raised numerous issues but seemed like speculation. He does not appear to have prepared very well for his testimony.

Unimpressed with Captain Victor Muzzey’s testimony. Raised numerous issues but seemed like speculation. He does not appear to have prepared very well for his testimony.

The one thing he did was show those senators that the "ghost gun" hue and cry from the Ds was kind of silly.

• Senator French asked if a ghost gun is just a gun that is manufactured by an individual that they did not stamp a serial number onto.
    • That is his understanding.
  • Senator French asked if he made a gun and stamped the reliever with the number 1 than would that no longer be a ghost gun and what is the big difference between that, and a gun bought at a store.
    • The difference is the ability to differentiate it by law enforcement.
  • Senator French asked if it would not be considered a ghost gun if he stamped it.
    • Correct.

The one thing he did was show those senators that the "ghost gun" hue and cry from the Ds was kind of silly.

• Senator French asked if a ghost gun is just a gun that is manufactured by an individual that they did not stamp a serial number onto.
    • That is his understanding.
  • Senator French asked if he made a gun and stamped the reliever with the number 1 than would that no longer be a ghost gun and what is the big difference between that, and a gun bought at a store.
    • The difference is the ability to differentiate it by law enforcement.
  • Senator French asked if it would not be considered a ghost gun if he stamped it.
    • Correct.
Very good point.

I met him once. Nice guy, but a huge fan of the Gun Line.

The bill in question is 100% unrelated to past gun line legislative initiatives

......recall that large numbers of the most pro 2a/limited government community supported NH retaiining control of the process instead of delegating 100% to an entity our legislature/governor has zero ability to seek recourse from.

The bill in question is 100% unrelated to past gun line legislative initiatives

......recall that large numbers of the most pro 2a/limited government community supported NH retaiining control of the process instead of delegating 100% to an entity our legislature/governor has zero ability to seek recourse from.
My point was that when I spoke with him he came across as not being specifically anti-gun, but as someone who thinks more legislation/control/tracking will make a difference (it won't). With the G/L, he felt that having NH in control would allow them to catch things the Feds might miss (i.e. recent RO's and similar). With his responses above, he gives the impression he feels by putting a serial number on the receiver it will be trackable and help prevent/solve crime. (it won't).

My point was that when I spoke with him he came across as not being specifically anti-gun, but as someone who thinks more legislation/control/tracking will make a difference (it won't). With the G/L, he felt that having NH in control would allow them to catch things the Feds might miss (i.e. recent RO's and similar). With his responses above, he gives the impression he feels by putting a serial number on the receiver it will be trackable and help prevent/solve crime. (it won't).

Totally agree with you on the issues

I only responded to the Gun line point because its unrelated to current bill.....and that are vehemently pro rkba came down on both sides of the gun line issue, so support/opposition to gun line doesnt mean anything wrt pro/anti gun

I would have a hard time agreeing with the concept of tracking serial #s being helpful. I think that's mostly of nefarious purpose.

But maybe I'm a moderate because I do see some value in the background check part, ie keep a 15 year old from buying a kit or someone who may be up to no good on a large scale buying a case of them.

As far as the gun line, I like NH having some involvement locally. I actually wish they just made it consistent and used the process for rifles/shotguns too. Plenty of pro 2A folks view it similarly.

I do think it's true that locally they can uncover a recent arrest or RO more consistently. ROs are one of those things, there are examples where it was totally BS and other examples where the absolute least a court could do was to grant one and you wonder why the subject wasn't actually thrown in jail (or comitted due to insanity) for the actions leading up to it. Depending what comes to mind everyone has different views on ROs and also domestic type crimes.

Back
Top Bottom