2022 Mast Season extremely light in my Area...

enbloc

Life Member Emeritus
NES Life Member
NES Member
Barely any acorns this year in Northern Massachusetts (Central Merrimack Valley) from what I've seen.
Not a single hood or windshield missile...

Deer and squirrel gonna be skinny this Winter/Spring... 1666909455204.png 1666909421454.png

1666909375682.png

None here in Bellingham, but I hunt in Charlestown RI too and it’s loaded. Lotta deer too.

squirrels in my vicinity are as fat as rabbits. some waddle when walking, some can't get out of their own way when they have a panic stampede. don't know what they're eating, there's no oak trees in the area to drop acorns.

Well, that's good to hear that it's not statewide. I can't remember the last time it was this sparse here. I wonder how it affects the rut...?

Well, that's good to hear that it's not statewide. I can't remember the last time it was this sparse here. I wonder how it affects the rut...?
In zone m nh it's spotty and varies. Some areas with oaks I'm checking out are sparse and some have nice fat acorns on the ground already. That helps us.....a little bit.

Never seen it like that where some areas have nothing and some are loaded with mast.....usually it's generally the same throughout. I tried pinning the reason for the variables to something like elevation......closer to water etc but I can't pin it down. Just seems random

We've had a bumper crop the past few years. A few fell in August, and now nothing. We've also got a drought going on. Places that have aways had some running water are now bone dry this season. There're a lot of Beech in the area that I need to check out.

Spotty in my area of north Central. Its always tough because I get them loaded in the yard every year.....but then go in the oaks in the woods and there are very few.

Which just tells me that there isn't enough edge or field or open light in the forest. My field edge spots with Oaks are 50/50 and there are some deer around the spots with acorns.

We've had a bumper crop the past few years. A few fell in August, and now nothing. We've also got a drought going on. Places that have aways had some running water are now bone dry this season. There're a lot of Beech in the area that I need to check out.
Water is back to normal in my area of North Central....we got a bunch of rain on Wednesday. Swamps that were dry are now pretty full.

In zone m nh it's spotty and varies. Some areas with oaks I'm checking out are sparse and some have nice fat acorns on the ground already. That helps us.....a little bit.

Never seen it like that where some areas have nothing and some are loaded with mast.....usually it's generally the same throughout. I tried pinning the reason for the variables to something like elevation......closer to water etc but I can't pin it down. Just seems random
Totally agree seeing same thing zone 7 in mass

Hunting should be better, as deer are moving more to find food. High mast years, are worse for hunting.

Antlers will drop earlier in years with low food.

Back
Top Bottom