2022 Deer Season

I'm off next week...finally feeling better after this RSV thing or whatever the fxck I had. Was going to go to PA early in the week, but a family obilgation is screwing up one of the day's and cancelled my trip to PA (again)

Ill be around North Central probably seeing very little. I've got to soak some cams this weekend, I need to get some fresh intel on a few new spots. I've been seeing does but very few
bucks.

Had a buck push a doe into the street at 11am 50 yards from my house, she went back the way she came and he looked confused that she didnt wanna go for it in the middle of my street. Next week should be good with a drop in temps

Haskins is the only one I know of at this time, my deer is there now. He is in Hanover. He did a good job last year and not having to dispose of the carcass is a plus.

Very nice PBM. He will make a great mount.

Bob
That's what I'm thinking. A shoulder mount won't catch any of the cool part of the cape though. I think what I'm going to ask the taxidermist to do is give me a Euro mount. But as opposed to mounting on a wood plaque, to see if the plaque can be covered with a portion of his cape that contains the awesome color pattern. I think that would look pretty wild.

Deer lure question... Does anyone use those 'P' wicks? I tried them recently with Doe Pee and the material didn't absorb the liquid. Actually, it almost repelled the liquid. Seems weird since these are made specifically for this purpose.

Am I doing something wrong? Any recommendations?

That's what I'm thinking. A shoulder mount won't catch any of the cool part of the cape though. I think what I'm going to ask the taxidermist to do is give me a Euro mount. But as opposed to mounting on a wood plaque, to see if the plaque can be covered with a portion of his cape that contains the awesome color pattern. I think that would look pretty wild.

Thats a great idea. id love to see pictures when it is done.

Bob

Deer lure question... Does anyone use those 'P' wicks? I tried them recently with Doe Pee and the material didn't absorb the liquid. Actually, it almost repelled the liquid. Seems weird since these are made specifically for this purpose.

Am I doing something wrong? Any recommendations?

Can't help you there. Don't use scents. Always felt that if the deer can smell them, then they're downwind which means they can also smell you. I also think they can pick up on that bottled stuff as being unnatural in some way. Just my belief. When I started hunting about a decade ago, I tried them and they never brought any luck.

If you want to use the wicks though, I think trying to find ones made of cotton is the way to go. They'll absorb the scent and they're also biodegradable.

Just got back from NYS Finger Lakes area.
Three days of bow hunting on my friend's 86 acre, old farm.
Hot, hot and windy. Saw deer every day but no shots.
Three of us hunting and my one pal got his first bow buck, a big bodied 8 point.
Back strap for lunch - so good.
Will go back in a couple weeks for rifle.
Good luck!

Edit - I should add that my friend shot his buck at 10:50am.
We had planned to meet back at the truck at 11:15 to go in for breakfast.
He had seen nothing all morning so texted us at around 10:30 that he was heading for the truck.
Got out of his stand and then decided he didn't want to mess us up by heading out early.
Got back in his stand and minutes later doe comes by with big buck on her tail.
He made a great quick shot at 29 yards.
We sat tight for about 40 minutes while he got down, found arrow and sent us pics of it.
Arrow covered in very dark blood with bright blood at fletchings with bubbles.
I texted back - "Liver and lung - dead buck!" As this was his first bow shot, he was a little rattled and already in the "there's no blood - I lost him mind set".
Bled very little but we found him in 40 yards stone dead full of blood. Shot thru one lung and dead center liver...
Just a good reminder about staying put during the rut and not giving up just cuz your finding very little blood.

Last edited:
We missing anyone?

November 7, 2022

Pittsburg, NH
– At approximately 5:30 p.m., NH Fish and Game Conservation Officers were notified of a hunter who had been found deceased at the end of Coon Brook Bog Road. Members of Pittsburg Fire and EMS were first on scene. The closest Conservation Officer was over an hour away, but a response was initiated.

After a Conservation Officer arrived on scene, it was determined through interviews, witness statements, and evidence that this was not a hunting-related incident. The victim, a 53-year-old male from Massachusetts, had intended to go hunting with a group of friends, but was not feeling well so he stayed at the vehicle while his friends went out for a hunt. When his companions came back a few hours later, they found him deceased. The death does not appear suspicious and all indications point to an as yet undetermined medical event.

The victim’s name is being withheld pending notification of family.

Very big doe walked right out into my area. First one I’ve seen so far. Ranged her 80 yards away. Got as close as 60 but no closer. Grazed for what seemed like an eternity. My adrenaline was pumping but she sauntered back into the brush. Tomorrow is another day.

Got one big wide shooter buck on the cam in one spot. Very noctournal. Hopefully he takes a day walk.

Family stuff and dog issues continue to FUBAR my hunting week off. Getting tired of this shit. I dont have nearly as much intel as I should. I feel Im wasting my time hunting without some good info.

Very frustrating year so far.

Filled my tag on Thursday morning around 6:30am. Deer coming from my right side, i used binos to see if it was a buck or doe, buck all by himselfand made his way right in front of me. So I lined up my muzzy behind his front leg shoulder, right at the vitals, zoomed the scope as he progressed to a nice clearing. I made a grunt noise, he stopped in his tracks and looked my way...bang, down he went on the spot. Deer down!! Walked towards him after 10 minutes, only to see he was still moving his head and reat legs..so I stayed back reloaded my .50cal muzzy and walked up to him. I first tried to step on his neck from his spine side but he almost got me with his rack...so I went back to his stomach side, pointed the muzzy at his heart, pulled trigger. He let out a death moan and I could see the last breath exit his mouth & nose. Ok picture time...oh wait... he still moving,WTF. I have 1 muzzy load left..maybe shoot him in the head, maybe just back off and let him expire..so I did that. 20 mins pass and he's not moving.
So a 8 pointer, weighed him pre gut, 180lbs, dressed out at 150lbs.
Took him to check station, NH state biologist was there and asked if I was ok if he could check deers age after he took some samples..ok say I, he pulled out his tool and spreads deer jaw open & he says deer is 2yrs old and weighs 147lbs. All good.
Just got back from butcher with about 75lbs of venison. He told me that my shot broke part of the deers spine..it went in behind front leg/shoulder but deflected up, hit part of the spine and then exited the neck area..yeah, I know, bullet goes in behind shoulder but exits out neck...

That's my 2022 deer harvest tag story.

Good luck to all those of you still trying to fill your tags. Get out as much as you can and keep believing...

Attachments

• 20221110_071110.jpg
    20221110_071110.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 33
  • 20221110_070916.jpg
    20221110_070916.jpg
    920.3 KB · Views: 33
I was in elevated blind when this doe snuck in from behind and to left of me. First I saw her she was 7 yards away and walking out of my blind spot literally under my barrel. Second doe followed

Attachments

• 14059DF3-C87C-49DD-A0A4-6CE20034F056.jpeg
    14059DF3-C87C-49DD-A0A4-6CE20034F056.jpeg
    535.6 KB · Views: 14
  • B5783F0A-B98B-4040-B75B-855C0E7F3E1E.jpeg
    B5783F0A-B98B-4040-B75B-855C0E7F3E1E.jpeg
    536 KB · Views: 14
Modern gun season opened here in KY yesterday. I'm not hunting this year but my neighbor whom I gave permission to hunt one portion of my land bagged a nice ten pointer about 4:30 PM at the spring that runs between our properties.
He said there was three deer in a group, a 10, a 6 and a 4. I've seen this group before. He bagged the 10 pointer with a .270 rifle about 50yds.
There is another one on the opposite side of the property with a wider rack and a larger body. Hoping my grandson takes that one if he chooses to hunt.

Several 6 pointers and a couple of 4's around. My woods are one of the last areas of excellent cover around and they seem to be migrating here. Being surrounded by corn and soybean fields and flowing water on three sides makes it ideal habitat, plus I feed all year round and provide minerals.

My theory is if you don’t intend to shoot them, photograph them

I had several three doe/ fawn pairs around today. This fawn was very interested in this large hen turkey. Followed the hen around a bit. The turkey was surprisingly tolerant of the attention.

The spike horn was hanging around chasing the does in and out of field.

The one large doe pictured was having none of the spikes nonsense. Spike trotted towards her, she stomped towards him and made him back away.

Attachments

• 1CB30257-D151-4FA1-8724-957C6E4EF880.jpeg
    1CB30257-D151-4FA1-8724-957C6E4EF880.jpeg
    386.4 KB · Views: 18
  • C55ED6F1-E5F5-41C7-9E63-DE28270E78E3.jpeg
    C55ED6F1-E5F5-41C7-9E63-DE28270E78E3.jpeg
    384.8 KB · Views: 18
  • F962DC58-BDB8-443C-91F0-E6A513D27220.jpeg
    F962DC58-BDB8-443C-91F0-E6A513D27220.jpeg
    337.2 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom