2022 Deer Season

How’s it been going for you guys so far? Anyone have early season success? Let’s see the pics!

Cameras and sits have been dead. Went out all day opening day and again on Wednesday AM. Nothing. Lots of red and grey squirrels. I have Mondays/Tuesdays off so I’m going to try and hunt both days until the end of the year. Looks like food sources may have shifted and I’ll need to figure out where they are feeding.

Just got off the phone with a buddy and he missed a 8 point at last light at about 40 yds. His arrow deflected off an unseen branch.

This guy rolled through just prior to legal light on Monday. CD65D751-867D-4886-976F-C5A17C5097DD.jpeg

Last edited:
shot one last night, good size doe, bolt passed through and had some digested crap on it so after waiting an hour and only finding a couple spots of blood in 20 yards, decided to come back this morning to look for it. found it,75 yards from where it was shot. nothing but a decimated carcass with only the head, ribs and spine, completely wiped out over night by coyotes....

In northern zone NY weather has been warm so far which is keeping daylight movements down. I’ve seen quite a few does but just one spike horn. Typical. Today was opening day of rifle and I’ve only heard one shot. It’s 70 degrees right now and I’m stretching out for a nap.
I put a doe in the freezer second day of ML season as did my buddy.
Had one 24 he period of hard rain and wind. I saw 9 doe in morning, 5 in afternoon in different spot. Doe picture from that morning. Yesterday I emptied my ML on the coyote below. I’m having pelt tanned8D755E8D-BAF3-4875-8087-5963A3E4F83A.jpegD04EA6B7-A905-44FC-9C40-EB439339BF4D.jpeg

This one in my side yard about 15 minutes ago. He was there for about an hour grazing. Several broadside opportunities offered. However, he is pretty small and I didn't want to use my one-buck limit on a spiker. Years ago, it would have been down for sure. View attachment 676465

He is looking at you like you owe him money or something.😂😂😂

shot one last night, good size doe, bolt passed through and had some digested crap on it so after waiting an hour and only finding a couple spots of blood in 20 yards, decided to come back this morning to look for it. found it,75 yards from where it was shot. nothing but a decimated carcass with only the head, ribs and spine, completely wiped out over night by coyotes....

Lots of yotes around these days. The changes in the regs prohibiting contests is going to let the population explode.

I am very hesitant to let anything go overnight these days and carry a good flashlight and spare batteries for evening recoveries.

Bob

Lots of yotes around these days. The changes in the regs prohibiting contests is going to let the population explode.
The prohibition of contests wasn't going to change much, it was the change in the tagging requirements & wanton waste rules

The regulations in general for yotes have been screwed up for a long time. The no artificial lights, .22lr rifle restrictions, shotgun pellet size restrictions, not having the season open all year, etc...

Sat only twice and passed a doe once, (dont shoot does) After that I got sick with a nasty cold that has sidelined me, and the dog is also sick as well, and has been going thru tests.
I have not had much time to hunt.

Hopefully things straighten out next week and I'm taking a week during November to hunt. Most of the buck pics at my spots are noctournal. And there is nothing huge at any of the spots.
I need to soak some cams at a few different places I've identified on OnX

Cameras have been dead for last couple weeks took a walk with the bow in the rain yesterday afternoon not much buck sign yet. Snuck up on a doe eating acorns but passed on her as I don't like shooting doe's early if you want bucks to come around. If you find acorns seems like you will find the deer. I am in zone 7

Hit the range for a bit tomorrow A.M., soak my duds in permathrin in the afternoon. Freezer's pretty empty already. Starting to get pretty psyched.

So two weeks ago I'm on my property in a ladder stand and I see a guy running with his dog on a trail on my property. I've known guys to be running but with deer season I needed to put a stop to it.
Next weekend I get no trespassing signs with a date of Oct-Dec as no trespassing on my property. I even wrote please on a couple. Well tonight some bastard was out jogging on my property again. I put small trees across the trail entrance where the signs were put up so this guy had to go over these dead tree trunks and pass by 5 no trespassing signs to run on my property. I was pissed and got out of my stand and jogged to intersept him. Yelling yo, yo!, YO !! till he stopped. I said you muthereffer. He said no need to swear, I said yes their is, you saw these signs I asked politely not to come in here. He says "will you accept my apology" I never been asked that before but I said yes, and he turns around and ran back out. Can't wait till shotgun season.

Got this guy this am, 11pt, @170lbs, will weigh tomorrow, that was just an educated guess from two friends that have weighed a lot for deer. Had two does come in and bed down fro 45 minutes 15 yds from my stand. This guy came in like a banshee, does wanted nothing to do with him and took off. He ran by my stand but I didnt want to chance a running shot so let him pass. About 1/2 hr later he come sneaking very cautiously back to where the does were bedded. He winded me(I think) but y’all know the power of p%#$&. That was his last mistake. Double lung at 30 yds. Game over. Had a great day.

Another pic my buddy just sent me
491AD376-2D8F-4635-9E9B-9F65D542C698.jpeg2F23E426-810C-4838-A2CB-D44770696920.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve been spooking lots of does walking the woods, but no bucks to be seen in the daytime. They’re only out before sunup and after sundown, seen in headlights. After some logging in nearby woodlands, they sprayed the logging drags with clover seed - plenty of deer grazing!

Sat this morning till 10am. Nothing came in.....but heard 9 shots from legal light ti 10am lol. Some fairly close to me.

I'll be back out for an afternoon sit. I'm not too worried it's opening weekend got plenty of time and I know there are deer in the area.

Sat a state land set Friday evening there was a good wind for. 5 does came by...... and about 10 turkeys. These have been hanging around here for a while near a green field. No bucks on the cam yet there and its supposed to be warm this week. I'm taking a week off soon, but want it to be cooler if possible.

I wish I could have hunted Sat AM as it was cold and frosty, but we were blasting plenty of pheasants.......

This weekend isn't looking good temp wise but will still go out as cant shoot them on the couch. Ticks are out fierce set a new camera in some real thick stuff yesterday but still no buck sign.

Tell us something we don't know.

Mismanaged in the central/west with only 5-10 Deer per mile, plenty of places to hunt.........no place to hunt in the east with 60 deer per mile and areas full of anti hunters.

So two weeks ago I'm on my property in a ladder stand and I see a guy running with his dog on a trail on my property. I've known guys to be running but with deer season I needed to put a stop to it.
Next weekend I get no trespassing signs with a date of Oct-Dec as no trespassing on my property. I even wrote please on a couple. Well tonight some bastard was out jogging on my property again. I put small trees across the trail entrance where the signs were put up so this guy had to go over these dead tree trunks and pass by 5 no trespassing signs to run on my property. I was pissed and got out of my stand and jogged to intersept him. Yelling yo, yo!, YO !! till he stopped. I said you muthereffer. He said no need to swear, I said yes their is, you saw these signs I asked politely not to come in here. He says "will you accept my apology" I never been asked that before but I said yes, and he turns around and ran back out. Can't wait till shotgun season.
Those kinds of people ruin everything for others.

1667339822154.png

Back
Top Bottom