• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2022 Deer Season

Nice......haven't seen a .56 smoothbore kill in a long while. Most of those went the way of dodo bird when we could switch to rifles...but those things were pretty accurate.

My first kill with my 56SB was a doe i shot right up the nostril and into the brains as she was looking at me at 60 yards. All I could see was her head and neck. I was aiming for base of the neck....but likely when the cap went off she turned and looked in my direction getting a full facial of lead ball. When the smoke cleared all I saw was brush quivering.
I put my inline BP away last year forgetting that it took a good tumble when it fell down my truck side. I took it out of the safe but seeing how the scope had some decent scratch's on it I was planing on sighting it in prior to the season. But being the scatter brain I am I forgot till the night before.
So I dusted off the .56 Cal found some mini balls and loaded up a few "quick shots, 120gr wax patch and the mini ball" and headed out weds with that.
Had some No.11 caps that had a sticker that said "The Fair" on them, but they still went bang and still put a 1/2" size hole in her.

I think they still do... There's a really good Meat-eater episode that's funny as shit about it. I think it's on Netflix

That’s what got me thinking it would be fun that episode is funny shows how tough it is

Okay guys/gals, can I get some late season deer/ML tips?

I don't normally deer hunt a lot.. mostly just upland. I get out a few times for shotgun in early Dec and that's normally it.
I've got a youth hunter in the house now that really wants to spend some in the woods chasing whitetails with dad... who am I to say no.
I've got access to some good private land that hopefully has good whitetail numbers.

I ordered a CVA ML with a vortex scope and hopefully it'll be here by the end of the week. Figure we can get it sighted in at some point this weekend or Monday and have the whole week to hunt since he's off from school and I can take some time off from work. . I ordered some bullets.. couple different brands. See what groups okay
Just need primers and powder but I got some local buddies that said they can hook me if If I can't find anything.
Just planning on shooting 777 or Pyrodex pellets for now to get us started.

Any good muzzleloaders tips you wish you knew when you got started? Late seaons deer tips?

If youve got good deer land thats half the battle. Keeping kid warm, quiet and not moving will be important.

Clean the muzzleloader at least every 2-3 shots when sighting in or your groups will wander.

At the end of the season instead of firing and cleaning I just pull the breech plug and push the load out the breech.

Okay guys/gals, can I get some late season deer/ML tips?

I don't normally deer hunt a lot.. mostly just upland. I get out a few times for shotgun in early Dec and that's normally it.
I've got a youth hunter in the house now that really wants to spend some in the woods chasing whitetails with dad... who am I to say no.
I've got access to some good private land that hopefully has good whitetail numbers.

I ordered a CVA ML with a vortex scope and hopefully it'll be here by the end of the week. Figure we can get it sighted in at some point this weekend or Monday and have the whole week to hunt since he's off from school and I can take some time off from work. . I ordered some bullets.. couple different brands. See what groups okay
Just need primers and powder but I got some local buddies that said they can hook me if If I can't find anything.
Just planning on shooting 777 or Pyrodex pellets for now to get us started.

Any good muzzleloaders tips you wish you knew when you got started? Late seaons deer tips?
What bullets are you going with? Also, what scope did you get? Reason I ask is I know most of the scoped CVA packages come with a 3-9X scope, which I find too much for around here. I bought one with open sights, figuring if I want to add a scope in the future I'll put a 1-4X24 on. A close up shot on a deer at the lowest magnification with a 3-9 might just show up as one big blob.

As for sighting in, have him shoot groups at 25, 50 and 100 yards if possible so he can see his POA/POI at different distances. In the offseason you'll have more time to tweak it where he get can his sights set in so he may just have to aim at one spot from 0 - 100 yards and have a hit on vitals regardless, just so he doesn't have to be thinking of where to aim at different distances. My routine to sight in was to blast off a primer on an empty barrel to clear any residue from cleaning, etc, load, place in a new primer, shoot, remove the breech plug (CVAs generally have the Quick Release plugs with makes it easy), spit swab, dry swab, replace the breech plug, blast off a primer, load, new primer, shoot etc. I opted to swab between shots just for consistency when sighting in, but as @Mark from MA stated, as long as you swab every few shots you should be ok, particularly with the cleaner black powder substitutes. When loading with the ramrod, make note of the position of the rod when it's loaded, and make sure it's at that point each time so that you know everything is fully seated, and that you didn't double charge. Once people have the bullet/powder combination they like, they'll put a witness mark on the ramrod. Loading a ML is pretty much loading ammo; you really need to have a set routine and pay attention. Take time between shots so that you can let the barrel cool down if needed, make target adjustments, clean up a little etc, then when you're ready to go load and shoot. And remember, the primer goes in after you have loaded the ML and are ready to shoot, not before. I don't say this to insinuate you don't know firearms safety, but it's almost natural to put in a new primer when you're removing the old one, especially with a break open inline.

As for your the new hunter, you know him better than anyone else in regard to the amount of time they'll be able to sit before boredom sets in. When I go out it's generally in with a headlamp on and then out with a headlamp on. My 17 and 19 year-old sons would not want to spend that much time out in the woods. Hell, I couldn't sit that long at their age. Now that I'm older, I use it as an opportunity to enjoy the peace and quiet of the woods. Check in with him every once in a while, and once he says he's had enough, or even if you think he has had enough but might not want to say something, pack it up. Even if as a hunter you know primetime movement could be another hour away, if he wants to go, go, just so he doesn't get turned off by the whole thing. Maybe even prep him a little as to what to expect, or not expect, just so he doesn't think the deer are zipping around everywhere out there.

I know a lot of this has nothing to do with ML, but figured I'd throw it out there. You probably know most of it anyway. I think it's great that he wants to head out there with you. I really hope he gets something, or at least sees a whitetail out there. Good luck.

What bullets are you going with? Also, what scope did you get? Reason I ask is I know most of the scoped CVA packages come with a 3-9X scope, which I find too much for around here. I bought one with open sights, figuring if I want to add a scope in the future I'll put a 1-4X24 on. A close up shot on a deer at the lowest magnification with a 3-9 might just show up as one big blob.

As for sighting in, have him shoot groups at 25, 50 and 100 yards if possible so he can see his POA/POI at different distances. In the offseason you'll have more time to tweak it where he get can his sights set in so he may just have to aim at one spot from 0 - 100 yards and have a hit on vitals regardless, just so he doesn't have to be thinking of where to aim at different distances. My routine to sight in was to blast off a primer on an empty barrel to clear any residue from cleaning, etc, load, place in a new primer, shoot, remove the breech plug (CVAs generally have the Quick Release plugs with makes it easy), spit swab, dry swab, replace the breech plug, blast off a primer, load, new primer, shoot etc. I opted to swab between shots just for consistency when sighting in, but as @Mark from MA stated, as long as you swab every few shots you should be ok, particularly with the cleaner black powder substitutes. When loading with the ramrod, make note of the position of the rod when it's loaded, and make sure it's at that point each time so that you know everything is fully seated, and that you didn't double charge. Once people have the bullet/powder combination they like, they'll put a witness mark on the ramrod. Loading a ML is pretty much loading ammo; you really need to have a set routine and pay attention. Take time between shots so that you can let the barrel cool down if needed, make target adjustments, clean up a little etc, then when you're ready to go load and shoot. And remember, the primer goes in after you have loaded the ML and are ready to shoot, not before. I don't say this to insinuate you don't know firearms safety, but it's almost natural to put in a new primer when you're removing the old one, especially with a break open inline.

As for your the new hunter, you know him better than anyone else in regard to the amount of time they'll be able to sit before boredom sets in. When I go out it's generally in with a headlamp on and then out with a headlamp on. My 17 and 19 year-old sons would not want to spend that much time out in the woods. Hell, I couldn't sit that long at their age. Now that I'm older, I use it as an opportunity to enjoy the peace and quiet of the woods. Check in with him every once in a while, and once he says he's had enough, or even if you think he has had enough but might not want to say something, pack it up. Even if as a hunter you know primetime movement could be another hour away, if he wants to go, go, just so he doesn't get turned off by the whole thing. Maybe even prep him a little as to what to expect, or not expect, just so he doesn't think the deer are zipping around everywhere out there.

I know a lot of this has nothing to do with ML, but figured I'd throw it out there. You probably know most of it anyway. I think it's great that he wants to head out there with you. I really hope he gets something, or at least sees a whitetail out there. Good luck.

Thank you @kerryman71
I ended up getting a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x 40mm to mount on it. I'm a big fan of Vortex stuff. I was set on the 2-7 but a buddy of mine who hunts deer a lot more suggested to step up to the 3-9. Guess we'll see how it plays out. I'm not counting on too many close deer shots with a fidgety 12 year old.

I ordered some Barnes Spit-Fire T-EZ in 250 grain and some Hornady SST in 250. Figured we can try both at the range and see which one groups better. I hate rushing this like this but really figure the likely hood of seeing anything is probably pretty slim. Figured in the off season we can spend more time trying different combos. The Barnes and Hornady's both got good reviews from CVA Optima shooters.

My son's been in the woods since he was 6 with me. Still can't sit still for long periods of time but then again neither can I. It's why I don't deer hunt much, LOL. But he does know what to expect. We've had plenty of boring turkey hunts without even a single gobble. He loves being in the woods though so a lot of our hunts turn into hikes in the woods with a shotgun. Which I'll take over him at home in front of the TV playing video games.

If youve got good deer land thats half the battle. Keeping kid warm, quiet and not moving will be important.

Clean the muzzleloader at least every 2-3 shots when sighting in or your groups will wander.

At the end of the season instead of firing and cleaning I just pull the breech plug and push the load out the breech.

This.

Food, it’s all about the groceries at this point in the season. Find the food and you will find the deer.

A blind and a propane heater like the Buddy heaters will greatly improve comfort and time on the stand. If not a Thermacare back wrap over the kidneys helps a lot.

Good luck,

Bob

ETA:

I use the Hornady Lock and Load for reloads. You can stack 3 50g pellets on the tail and it loads as a unit. You can trim the til for lesser loads.

C483BB5D-110B-4793-ABAD-DB27B4233BB4.jpeg

Last edited:
There is snow around too and tracking one will keep a kid warm.
Also it can be quite educational.
Just avoid the real deep towns.

Thank you @kerryman71
I ended up getting a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x 40mm to mount on it. I'm a big fan of Vortex stuff. I was set on the 2-7 but a buddy of mine who hunts deer a lot more suggested to step up to the 3-9. Guess we'll see how it plays out. I'm not counting on too many close deer shots with a fidgety 12 year old.

I ordered some Barnes Spit-Fire T-EZ in 250 grain and some Hornady SST in 250. Figured we can try both at the range and see which one groups better. I hate rushing this like this but really figure the likely hood of seeing anything is probably pretty slim. Figured in the off season we can spend more time trying different combos. The Barnes and Hornady's both got good reviews from CVA Optima shooters.

My son's been in the woods since he was 6 with me. Still can't sit still for long periods of time but then again neither can I. It's why I don't deer hunt much, LOL. But he does know what to expect. We've had plenty of boring turkey hunts without even a single gobble. He loves being in the woods though so a lot of our hunts turn into hikes in the woods with a shotgun. Which I'll take over him at home in front of the TV playing video games.
That's great that he likes heading out to the woods, so sounds like you're set there. As you said, both bullets get good reviews. I just got into ML myself, primarily been bowhunting. Now I get to take my ML out for walks in the woods 🤣. Got the Optima Nitride with open sights, and am shooting the .430 240 grain XTPs which grouped very well, using 60 grains by weight of Blackhorn 209 with Federal 209A primers. They're another popular choice, and are on sale at MidwayUSA for $11.99 per 20, with free shipping.

I recently bought 100 each of the .430 240 grain and .452 250 grain XTPs and 50 Harvester Green and Black crush rib sabots to go with them, for further off season development.

Good luck and enjoy your time out there.

For loads, I have a CVA Optima with a Vortex 3-9X and shoot Powerbelt bullets 250 ish grain over 2 pellets of Triple 7 Firestar or whatever that new shit they have is now.

2" groups at 100 yards. Must clean after 3 shots max.

I find the 3X-9X fine for stand hunting, mostly keep it on 3X.

Tracking....I pull out my old White Mountain Carbine with open sights, load is a pillow ticked lubed and patched .490 round ball over 80 grains of pyrodex and a musket cap.

Oh....fairly important tip a lot of guys forget. If you hunt for a week and continually take your gun in and out of the cold.....expect that the pellets or powder in your gun may be wet and useless after a few days due to condensation in the barrel that may drip down or absorb into your powder charge.

I leave it locked in my garage safe where its cold once loaded. (no primer of course). When I used to hunt in western ma, we just never brought them in the hotel room, we would leave them locked in the car at night.

Last edited:
Agree with Mark
Always leave them cold and point barrel downhill if hoping in to something warm.

Unless you have a gut pile there already .

Lots of good advice posted up here. I suggest checking out Blackhorn 209 powder. No need to clean after 3 rounds. I use the Barnes TEZ's and have really liked them for accuracy and have had good performance on the few times I have shot deer with them. I am 98% bow but I take out the ML on occasion too.

Food is definitely key right now.

Most important thing is to have a good time with your kid in the woods and getting a deer is just an added bonus. I hunt with my fourth kid almost every day during shotgun and ML after school and we have a ball. He’s my motivation to get out there and stay there. We need to get the next generation out there hunting and we are losing the battle at least in MA.

I’m going to make the guys cringe and this is not my normal practice but I shot that 4p with the load I left in my ML from last year. I’m in zone nine and last year we didn’t see much the entire season so I figured getting that button was my deer for the season. She went bang and the deer is in the freezer. I’m using Hornady SST 250g sabots over 100g of loose 777. Definitely take a few shots at the range first … I had to slow down with the adrenaline rush and think about reloading it and on my first try dumped some of the powder on the ground.

One of my best memories in life was standing next to my kid when he took his first deer in 2019. He was nice and calm and I was so pumped I was shaking like leaf. Enjoy spending the time with your kid it goes by so fast.

I’m going to make the guys cringe and this is not my normal practice but I shot that 4p with the load I left in my ML from last year. I’m in zone nine and last year we didn’t see much the entire season so I figured getting that button was my deer for the season. She went bang and the deer is in the freezer. I’m using Hornady SST 250g sabots over 100g of loose 777. Definitely take a few shots at the range first … I had to slow down with the adrenaline rush and think about reloading it and on my first try dumped some of the powder on the ground.
While not really cringeworthy, as many people have done this, it not so much as the powder not going off and you missing the deer, or hangfiring or something....

As its more of a safety issue, many people forget they left their muzzleloader loaded, store it, then go back a year later and load another load on top of the one that's in there.

Now if your paying attention to the notch on your ramrod, (you should always notch the rod at proper load depth) its not a problem, but if your not......it could be a large problem discharging two loads at one time.

Even worse, I could see someone leaving it loaded....then forgetting, then coming back the next year and saying.....oh, i should fire a few caps to make sure there isn't any oil in flash channel and barrel, as that's kinda standard. Maybe they do this somewhere not totally safe, as its just a 209 primer.................BOOM! OOPS!

A lot of this is not a problem now with easily removable breechplugs in the modern inlines...as you can easily pull and check........but still, it can happen.

I make it a normal practice to fully unload the muzzle loader after end of season.

Last edited:
I put mine away with a fiberglass rod sticking out of the muzzle. One mark means loaded, the other mark means empty.

Electricians tape over the barrel for me. It keeps crap out of the barrel if you slip and fall and I know that if there is tape over the barrel it is charged with powder and projectile

My ramrod is marked as well.
Bob

I use a finger from a rubber glove over the barrel
Finger cots. [thumbsup]
61dRKebxp1L._SL1200_.jpg

I use a finger from a rubber glove over the barrel

I bought some of those a few years back and the first season I used one on my ML I got some surface rust under it so I went back to the tape I have been using for decades.

Everything gets taped. Many years ago I slipped in the snow and had a plug of snow in my 12g barrel. I had to pull the barrel to get the snow out. Never again.

Bob

Last edited:
The clock is winding down, and I have yet to get a buck in my sights. No deer in my local area since shotgun season - no trail cam pics, no tracks. So, I ventured out to a more remote area yesterday and located plenty of sign about a mile further out. This Saturday will be my final attempt, and it's looking like a GoreTex and Microspikes kind of day. It should be a LOT quieter than yesterday.

I was back out in Zone 11, heard some action but saw nothing. Planning on getting in the tree tomorrow and Saturday as well. If any of you have good intel and care to share it I'm all ears, A little worried that I'm over pressuring my location but its the only place I have scouted out/have seen deer.

My son in law getting it done. I could have taken one as well but we have four deer, and now a cow elk in the freezer.

It is the shoulder season, meaning if you have a tag and have access to private land, you can take a cow elk. No bulls allowed. It's to help the ranchers push the elk off their fields. There were three hundred elk there this day. Not my kind of hunting but it will fill a freezer when needed. We won't be buying any meat in the store this coming year.

Oh and that is my 308. Through the front shoulder. Dropped her on the spot.

IMG_4139.jpg

While not really cringeworthy, as many people have done this, it not so much as the powder not going off and you missing the deer, or hangfiring or something....

As its more of a safety issue, many people forget they left their muzzleloader loaded, store it, then go back a year later and load another load on top of the one that's in there.

Now if your paying attention to the notch on your ramrod, (you should always notch the rod at proper load depth) its not a problem, but if your not......it could be a large problem discharging two loads at one time.

Even worse, I could see someone leaving it loaded....then forgetting, then coming back the next year and saying.....oh, i should fire a few caps to make sure there isn't any oil in flash channel and barrel, as that's kinda standard. Maybe they do this somewhere not totally safe, as its just a 209 primer.................BOOM! OOPS!

A lot of this is not a problem now with easily removable breechplugs in the modern inlines...as you can easily pull and check........but still, it can happen.

I make it a normal practice to fully unload the muzzle loader after end of season.
I have a notch at full depth of bore on my ramrod.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom