• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2022/2023 Upland Hunting

Took the new pup out for her first time off-leash in the field. The goal of today's venture was to get her accustomed to the report of gunfire (courtesy of a Ruger Wrangler and CCI Quiet), and to see how she ranged. She was wired up with a Garmin TT15 Mini, and a check cord. I also brought the 20ga 37, just in case we crossed paths with some squirrels that needed fixin.

At first, she made a couple of runs beyond the horizon but quickly adapted to checking back over her shoulder after getting a few "whoa"s. After she got used to hanging at a good range, we worked on some simple verbal commands with hand signals. A few treats were palmed to her from my assistant while the Wrangler rang out. She noticed the report but wasn't concerned. Phew. We then ventured from the field to some squirrel territory. She seems to have a great nose and prey drive, as she eagerly picked up and tracked some scent trails to trees, but the Ithaca remained quiet - I want her to associate the shotgun blast with a substantial reward for her efforts. As we moved back into the field, we passed a small stand of pines that holds rabbits. She had a jolly trot going, then suddenly locked up and did a brief point before charging into the brush. That was a great sight to see. I think she'll get the hang of this. More work is needed on reinforcing commands, but she's gotten nothing but praise.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. Probably my next dog as well. I need to downsize and get a slower dog I can keep up with. I can't go thru GSP puppydom again.

Though my son just bought a medium golden doodle that has a lot of poodle in it. Took it out the other day and it wanted to get a squirrel badly......I may try to put it in the field next year with my GSP. Many don't know but a poodle can be a very good hunter.

Attachments

• 364DCAC0-C509-4135-BFDB-A5DD2F2A19F0.jpeg
    364DCAC0-C509-4135-BFDB-A5DD2F2A19F0.jpeg
    446.7 KB · Views: 14
  • E62A7EC8-8198-4959-8D6B-D58B226047B1.jpeg
    E62A7EC8-8198-4959-8D6B-D58B226047B1.jpeg
    641.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
only 2 weeks till Woodcock starts here in MA... we've moved a couple resident birds over the last couple of days so they're around.

I guess technically Snipe is open but I've never seen one and the only person I know who's harvested one is my brother.
and he did it while pheasant hunting.

@pupchow Good luck with your new pup.... the first couple years are always fun.. getting to watch the pup figure things out.

only 2 weeks till Woodcock starts here in MA... we've moved a couple resident birds over the last couple of days so they're around.

I guess technically Snipe is open but I've never seen one and the only person I know who's harvested one is my brother.
and he did it while pheasant hunting.

@pupchow Good luck with your new pup.... the first couple years are always fun.. getting to watch the pup figure things out.
Ill be out for woodcock on opening day. I've got several spots that always hold them. I never shoot them, its dog practice mostly.

Youth hunt is the 24th.

I will take the dog to Addieville and kills some chuckars if we get a cool day soon.

Re
Very nice. Probably my next dog as well. I need to downsize and get a slower dog I can keep up with. I can't go thru GSP puppydom again.
You've got to be on your toes with these small dogs, as they can tunnel under dense brush with ease. Our past cocker would often range further than I thought, which became evident after using a GPS collar on her. My focus was typically on our pointer, which was more easily tracked. A bell helps, but that little dog's location was often obscured. We're going to try it solo this season, as the CFO is not yet ready for another puppy, aka, Demon Dog.

Our Wirehaired Pointing Griffon was as perfect as a companion hunter could be. Just a wonderful dog. Her coat picked up a lot of stickers though, so I've been considering going with a Pudelpointer or Braque du Bourbonnais.

Leaving tomorrow morning for a veterans 3 day pheasant hunt on a private preserve. Camping out on the property.....bonfires and beer in the evening.......some good pheasant hunting and good times.

Leaving tomorrow morning for a veterans 3 day pheasant hunt on a private preserve. Camping out on the property.....bonfires and beer in the evening.......some good pheasant hunting and good times.

I will see you there. I am volunteering with my dog. Ill swing up tomorrow around noon. The I will be up with you guys after my sons football game sat morning and all day on sunday.

I will see you there. I am volunteering with my dog. Ill swing up tomorrow around noon. The I will be up with you guys after my sons football game sat morning and all day on sunday.
Sweet.

Itll be good to meet an neser

I'll be there early probably 9am to help set up camp.

Thanks in advance for volunteering your time.

Finally...got out today for Woodcock, Little warm lotta leaves..... moved 6 birds in 2 hours. I generally don't shoot these things, but go out for the dog work.
I shoot once and a while so the dog knows we are hunting. Today I should have popped one so the dog could retrieve, she worked her butt off. Probably hit a different
cover after work tomorrow.

Finally...got out today for Woodcock, Little warm lotta leaves..... moved 6 birds in 2 hours. I generally don't shoot these things, but go out for the dog work.
I shoot once and a while so the dog knows we are hunting. Today I should have popped one so the dog could retrieve, she worked her butt off. Probably hit a different
cover after work tomorrow.
Well, got out Friday and decided to shoot one, so the dog at least knows I'm not retarded. Moving lots of birds.

Of course it was oncoming and I mangled the breast with the 28 gauge. Doh! Exactly why I don't really like to kill them.

Attachments

• BD96D106-1CF8-4791-A249-59F4B218DFE3.jpeg
    BD96D106-1CF8-4791-A249-59F4B218DFE3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
Was nice to meet you Whacko! I got up there friday to help set up a bit and sat afternoon to run my dog with them. I had planned on being there sunday as well but felt a bit under the weather so thought it was prudent to pass.
Always fun to see these guys have a good time. We got assigned a very tough thick area to hunt. Briars and vines and golden rod the dogs had a tough time navigating. A part of the club I had never hunted before. But we put up 4 pheasant and 5 or so woodcock.

I hope all the guys had a good time, it was a great turnout!

Was nice to meet you Whacko! I got up there friday to help set up a bit and sat afternoon to run my dog with them. I had planned on being there sunday as well but felt a bit under the weather so thought it was prudent to pass.
Always fun to see these guys have a good time. We got assigned a very tough thick area to hunt. Briars and vines and golden rod the dogs had a tough time navigating. A part of the club I had never hunted before. But we put up 4 pheasant and 5 or so woodcock.

Yeah that spot was tough. Luck of the draw I guess. 😂

We appreciate you volunteering your time to run a dog for us.

Spent Columbus day with the daughter out in the woods. We saw two grouse, one no shot and one I missed - but I'm happy when we see anything at all - the woods have been absolutely dead still every time I go out, no squirrel, deer or birds around.

We had a blast as always. Lots of birds. Some vets got their first pheasants.

One dog dlushed a grouse had to pass
Was good to see grouse though

Glad to hear you guys had a good time. Pics on FB look like it was a great time.

Another another note.. got a quick hunt in this AM before work and finally connected with a few WC. Tough with a flusher when the leaves are still on the trees and everything is so green and thick. Either way.. only a coupe more days till the rest of upland starts and we can chase some bigger birds.
311379188_5540744769338263_2418013594600967458_n.jpg

311450330_5540744782671595_8518065636206765213_n.jpg

Glad to hear you guys had a good time. Pics on FB look like it was a great time.

Another another note.. got a quick hunt in this AM before work and finally connected with a few WC. Tough with a flusher when the leaves are still on the trees and everything is so green and thick. Either way.. only a coupe more days till the rest of upland starts and we can chase some bigger birds.
View attachment 672233

View attachment 672234
Nice.....i've been going out almost every afternoon after work. Lots of WC this year. Ive been using the 28 gauge and shooting one a trip.

Its kept me away from Addieville, but I need to go shoot some bigger birds. Saturday starts out our pheasant hunts at my club.

Brand new Browning 16 ga Citori White Lightning hitting the upland covers this year. Always wanted one to match my Sweet 16 A-5. Got a good bonus this year and pulled the trigger on it, as they did a limited run of 16's last year.

Nice Dixi!

We had a decent morning too. Got my 2 birds in about 15 mins. Hunting with my buddy who was not so fortunate. Those were the only birds we put up. 2.5 hours of unproductive hiking after that. But the dogs were still happy to be out!

Outstanding! It was slow out in the west end of the state as well. Only saw one bird go down, heard maybe 15 rounds fired. Still had an amazing day. Covered almost five miles, fixed my truck afterward. Hung out with a buddy for the first time in months. Was a great day off.

Took two roosters yesterday late morning cleaning up birds after the morning hunt at the club. Was a beautiful day.

Did the afternoon hunt as well just to run the dog, and a buddy missed a few shots and got one.

I ended up giving my birds to a youth hunter who also had birds to clean. I still have a lot of pheasants and chukar in the freezer from last year.

Ill like do a cleanup hunt monday morning and then hunt state land Wednesday afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom