• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2021 NES Bullet Casting Seminar Feeler?

Should we hold the casting seminar in the spring or the fall?

• Total voters
so I can't find any tungsten bullets but I had an idea, what if we got a tungsten rod, the same rod used in tig-welding, and just put a sharpened tig rod running through the center of the cast. (not sure how to keep it exactly centered so the bullet wouldn't wobble in flight) Also, could you cast it out of pure copper instead of lead? I've never cast a bullet but it seems like copper would be a better material, (at least for penetration) you would only use lead because it's softer and cheaper. I would love to come to your class to learn a new skill, ill be looking for a date.

so I can't find any tungsten bullets but I had an idea, what if we got a tungsten rod, the same rod used in tig-welding, and just put a sharpened tig rod running through the center of the cast. (not sure how to keep it exactly centered so the bullet wouldn't wobble in flight) Also, could you cast it out of pure copper instead of lead? I've never cast a bullet but it seems like copper would be a better material, (at least for penetration) you would only use lead because it's softer and cheaper. I would love to come to your class to learn a new skill, ill be looking for a date.
Anything is possible but is it worth it? What are you looking to accomplish with these bullets? Would it be worth turning the tungsten to an exact shape and possibly having a custom bullet mould made to house the rod properly?
Casting copper takes a whole new level of heat and moulds and tools and supplies.
Usually copper bullets are turned from rod stock.
Cast lead performs under a wider range of applications than a turned copper bullet would. With the exception of the crazy high priced fancy engineered bullets that are made on some serious equipment.

I might be able to score some 1/2" brass rod if one of you weirdos want to try and turn one on a lathe.
What would a brass 45/70 do to an engine block I wonder?
There’s only one way to find out.

Well maybe a couple ways. Buy some Lehigh defense.

@pastera would be the one would could turn up some stuff for testing.

I might be able to score some 1/2" brass rod if one of you weirdos want to try and turn one on a lathe.
Have a profile to copy? Or at least a napkin drawing with an estimated weight.

Easiest to reproduce by hand would be a bore rider with a truncated cone (HP or solid) with a groove diameter portion equal to seating depth (grooved or solid)

Easiest to reproduce by hand would be a bore rider with a truncated cone (HP or solid) with a groove diameter portion equal to seating depth (grooved or solid)
I would check the accurate moulds website and grab some dimensions. Maybe I can match something up later for you.

You make one and I will give you my BFR to shoot it.

Just don't obstruct the barrel, I already have one piece of modern art, dont need two. :)

Make it easy, a .458 cylinder. No need for good ballistics.

Ok so looks like it’s going to be October 17th this year!

I’ll start a sign up thread with payment info
Your avatar says Fairhaven, I assume thats where you will have this? I would love to go but am no where near you, I want to send my dad, he is interested, he is in Attleboro. He would be your least knowledgeable student ;)

Your avatar says Fairhaven, I assume thats where you will have this? I would love to go but am no where near you, I want to send my dad, he is interested, he is in Attleboro. He would be your least knowledgeable student ;)
The teaching crew does everything soup to nuts...they can move as fast or slow as he needs them to, but by the end of the day they’ll have him dropping boolits!

Most likely.
We are trying to finalize the date and if we can’t host it at the usual spot this year I might lean on @pastera to see if he’s still up for hosting one.

Most likely.
We are trying to finalize the date and if we can’t host it at the usual spot this year I might lean on @pastera to see if he’s still up for hosting one.
Very cool. Can you recomend some equipment for a guy starting out? I did a little research and that stuff also looks hard to find in stock. :(

Lee bottom pour furnaces
Lee/Lyman/RCBS/NOE/MP moulds
Are you going to coat the bullets or lube size them?
Lube sizers either RCBS or Lyman
If you’re going to coat then just get a Lee or NOE push through sizer.

Toaster oven for coating.
Thermometer

You can go low tech and use a little cast iron pot and a lead ladle if you can’t find the Lee furnace.

Ladle pouring actually makes nicer bullets too.

Very cool. Can you recomend some equipment for a guy starting out? I did a little research and that stuff also looks hard to find in stock. :(
Amazon product ASIN B074DFMR8KView: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Pre-Seasoned-Dutch-Handles-2-Quart/dp/B074DFMR8K

Amazon product ASIN B001OPLJUUView: https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Casting-Dipper-Multicolor-Size/dp/B001OPLJUU

or spend less - bend the handle and put a pouring lip in
Amazon product ASIN B001VZAWQUView: https://www.amazon.com/Winco-Stainless-Steel-Ladle-2-Ounce/dp/B001VZAWQU

Needs a mod to the control to get the temperature up high enough (easy)

Molds - buy what you can get
Lee 2 cavity molds are a good way to start out but their bullet profiles are cut for low production cost not the best bullet performance
An exception - Double Cavity Mold 356-120-TC
Works great when HiTec coated with a slower powder in 9mm

Lubing cab be done with tumble lube, powder coat or HiTec
Powder coat or Hitec will need a toaster oven to cure the coating so add $30-40 for a cheap oven.

Back
Top Bottom