• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2021 NES Bullet Casting Seminar Feeler?

Should we hold the casting seminar in the spring or the fall?

• Total voters
Can someone please explain the bullet size or cast bullet size mold diameter I should be looking for?

Lets just stick to 9mm for this one. Most of my "factory" bullets for reloading 9mm are .355, the casting dies at Lee for 9mm are .356
I am on MP Molds now and I see they dont make a .356 dia mold for HP bullets (I am specifically looking for a hollow point mold) it looks like the .358 dia is pretty popular? I do plan on sizing as well but would like to hear the opinions of the different diameters available?

Thanks, Chris

So this is the deal.
You need to slug your bore. Aka lube you a dead soft lead bullet or round ball and drive it through the well lubed bore with a brass rod.
Now measure the major diameter with a micrometer. Not calipers unless you have a very precise set.
That’s you’re groove diameter. Size your bullets .001” or .002” over that diameter.
I run .357” for my 9mm and have had great luck doing so.

Miha makes his moulds to drop a proper size which is slightly over nominal cast Bullet size.
So the 9mm probably drop at 358 or so. Coating will add a little thickness also.

Better for them yo drop at .360” and size down .002” than a mould that drops too small.

Can someone please explain the bullet size or cast bullet size mold diameter I should be looking for?

Lets just stick to 9mm for this one. Most of my "factory" bullets for reloading 9mm are .355, the casting dies at Lee for 9mm are .356
I am on MP Molds now and I see they dont make a .356 dia mold for HP bullets (I am specifically looking for a hollow point mold) it looks like the .358 dia is pretty popular? I do plan on sizing as well but would like to hear the opinions of the different diameters available?

Thanks, Chris
Your probably going to find when you slug your bore that its going to be .356+
So .358 “should be” fine.

So this is the deal.
You need to slug your bore. Aka lube you a dead soft lead bullet or round ball and drive it through the well lubed bore with a brass rod.
Now measure the major diameter with a micrometer. Not calipers unless you have a very precise set.
That’s you’re groove diameter. Size your bullets .001” or .002” over that diameter.
I run .357” for my 9mm and have had great luck doing so.

Miha makes his moulds to drop a proper size which is slightly over nominal cast Bullet size.
So the 9mm probably drop at 358 or so. Coating will add a little thickness also.

Better for them yo drop at .360” and size down .002” than a mould that drops too small.
FYI ... for 9mm I have used .358 coated lead and .357 jacketed no issues, works great for me. Thousands of rounds. Using a revolver.

I size 9mm at .356 but have run up to .358
You want to fill the grooves plus about 0.001".
Between size and alloy you should easily be able to get it to work.

I'll set up the Lyman 45 and Lee APP if anyone wants to size.

I run 50/50 wheel weight and soft lead at around 1100 when coated and using a slower pistol powder with no leading. Could probably drop the hardness more and still be fine.

I size 9mm at .356 but have run up to .358
You want to fill the grooves plus about 0.001".
Between size and alloy you should easily be able to get it to work.

I'll set up the Lyman 45 and Lee APP if anyone wants to size.

I run 50/50 wheel weight and soft lead at around 1100 when coated and using a slower pistol powder with no leading. Could probably drop the hardness more and still be fine.
Coated you could probably get away with straight soft lead.
I have been running wheel weights for so long I just run it. So far no leading in anything.
I only recently started trying to duplicate a Lyman #2 alloy and basically only did so because of the alloys I had on hand.
And it just happened to add up close to lyman #2 so I smelted it all down into one batch.
When I want pretty bullets I will add 2% tin to my wheel weight alloy- which unless tou get it tested can be anything.
I run the “art pencil” hardness test on a few bullets if I need harder I will water drop.
I made a batch of oven treated wheel weights and they came out nice and hard.
Did it help anything, no idea

Back
Top Bottom