2021 Fishing thread

Problynope. I was watching some fishing YT'er over the weekend. Oh, Retro Bassin. That was it. He was trying the Roland Martin helicopter worm.

Baitcaster (so no spinning from the spinning reel).

High quality swivel in line.

He almost lost a fish b/c he couldn't reel anymore with all the line twist. It was bad. Like if you spooled your line backwards/upsidedown onto your spinning rod and then tried to cast. But 10x worse. The twists of line at teh top of teh rod were 5' long loops.

The best thing you can do is use baits that won't twirl in the water. And the best swivels you can find.

Problynope. I was watching some fishing YT'er over the weekend. Oh, Retro Bassin. That was it. He was trying the Roland Martin helicopter worm.

Baitcaster (so no spinning from the spinning reel).

High quality swivel in line.

He almost lost a fish b/c he couldn't reel anymore with all the line twist. It was bad. Like if you spooled your line backwards/upsidedown onto your spinning rod and then tried to cast. But 10x worse. The twists of line at teh top of teh rod were 5' long loops.

The best thing you can do is use baits that won't twirl in the water. And the best swivels you can find.
I've got some tiny Spro swivels I've used for fly fishing in saltwater. I'll try using a couple of them in series. I'm trolling a Mooselook Wobbler, which doesn't do a whole lot of rotating. Most of the time.

I went out in my kayak today. Too much rain lately. I caught a couple pickerel around 16" and a bunch of bluegills.

I decided to try a new frog in some lily pads. 3rd cast and I get a big splash and a lot of weight on my line. I can't move it, but I can pull my kayak to it. I got right over it before it would move. It was a big snapping turtle. The frog had both hooks set into the top of it's mouth. Every time I tried to grab the hooks it snapped at my hand. I got the frog once, but never a grip on the hooks. It finally broke free with my frog. My brand new $13.99 frog. I saw it surface twice trying to get it off. Maybe if it waited a minute I could have got it off. Now he gets to live with it until the hooks rot.

Somehow my son got it in his craw that he wants to land a carp. We live near Lake Q in Wakefield and I've seen plenty of them there but I'm a bass or SW fly fisherman and have no idea where to start with these things. Corn on a hook? Is there a reliable spot in the area?

Somehow my son got it in his craw that he wants to land a carp. We live near Lake Q in Wakefield and I've seen plenty of them there but I'm a bass or SW fly fisherman and have no idea where to start with these things. Corn on a hook? Is there a reliable spot in the area?
Rotten raw chicken gizzards on a treble hook. If you’re seeing them in lake q, try right there. 🙂 Stout rod, heavy line. They get fat!

Rotten raw chicken gizzards on a treble hook. If you’re seeing them in lake q, try right there. 🙂 Stout rod, heavy line. They get fat!

And he means rotten. The more rotten the better.

When you bring them home from the grocery store take the package of gizzards and let them sit on the driveway in direct sunlight for the better part of a week and then you will be ready to go.

Bob

Having watched this recently, Hit the same spot that people feed the wildlife or a little apart from that. Throw a hand full of whole dry corn into the water a few feet in depth. Do this at the same time of day for a week. Show up at the same time and bait a strong line (50 lb test) and a small hook with niblet corn and toss it in the same spot.

A son of a neighbor did this and took a 40Lb carp in a couple hours.

I don't feel bad about the snapper, I just want my frog back.
Tools needed:
one broom stick
a pair of good side cutters.

Tease the turtle till it hits on the broomstick, twist it so the head cannot get back in the shell.
Side cut the hooks.

You will have to replace the hooks but you get the frog back.

Just to irritate my SIL, I’ve been Ned rigging with odd colors. Last time out, translucent pink worm. Boom.

today. Bubblegum colored worm. Boom. Another. Lol

next is yellow metal flake. Hahaha.

I have never in my life caught a fish on a plastic worm. I have been trying to end that streak this summer with no luck. I don't think anyone has, they just say they do so I keep buying worms and not catching anything.

Oh and I went out today and caught bluegills like they didn't want to be in the water anymore. I also got 1 perch and 1 Bass that was only 3/4 of a pound, but it was in the weeds and I had my ultralight.

vvSd8v4.jpeg

4kCIkHt.jpeg

p6NPmoZ.jpeg

Last edited:
Ball bearing snap swivels. Are there any small versions out there that actually work to prevent line twist while trolling? I'm dragging a long line from a kayak, for trout.
Snap swivels suck. They are too weak and break all the time.

I use these swivels and they work pretty well. Better than most barrel swivels. These are rated for 100lbs. They spin very easy.

JqpKugQ.jpeg

I have never in my life caught a fish on a plastic worm. I have been trying to end that streak this summer with no luck. I don't think anyone has, they just say they do so I keep buying worms and not catching anything.

Oh and I went out today and caught bluegills like they didn't want to be in the water anymore. I also got 1 perch and 1 Bass that was only 3/4 of a pound, but it was in the weeds and I had my ultralight.

vvSd8v4.jpeg

4kCIkHt.jpeg

p6NPmoZ.jpeg
I catch bass all the time on Gary Yamamoto
Senko worms rigged wacky style give it a try !

vvSd8v4.jpeg

4kCIkHt.jpeg

p6NPmoZ.jpeg
Rig up some purple mann's worms with orange firetail Texas style on barbless Tru-Turn hooks. Tap your retrieve and be paptient. Thank me later.

Back
Top Bottom