• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2021 Fishing thread

Took the canoe out with the wife last night. Couldn't keep the pickerel off the lines lol. Lost count of how many we got but we were hoping for some bass. Got one good size one that put up a fight a few other decent ones but mostly slime darts. The bass didn't want to play last night.

Got skunked on Saturday. SKUNKED. Saw a lot of fish fishing. (Probably perch, but still. . . ) SIL hooked into one pick that busted the line at the boat. Otherwise, we threw everything and nada.

That's OK. We will wallpaper this thread in about a month. That's when the bass school up shallow and we hammer them. . . . hopefully. Then the sallies settle into a few pockets of deep lilies and grass.

Hell, I'm hoping my pontoon will be here in a week or two.

The one that bent my rod tip back to the bail slipped the hook.
It took the worm and came right at the boat. So no fight. Until it saw the boat!
Then full steam ahead under the canoe.

Played hooky and snuck out of work early the other day: 30 minutes at the local fishing hole had me in great action on small trout. Brought the boy out the next day and we caught dinner.

What's old is new again, I guess. We were nailing them on flies behind a casting bubble - haven't used that technique in 15 - 20 years, but it was the main killer so far. Everyone else (worm guy, power bait guys and lure guy) are frustrated by fish rising but not hitting. Small nymphs and wooly buggers simply murder them.

Nice!

I didn't get out last weekend. We got skunked the prior weekend. Going to rain all weekend THIS weekend. Next week. I'm fingers-crossed for next week.

Its not the rain, it's the wind. Truly a bear to keep the boat stable in the wind. Hopefully the Pontoon will be here soon. More of a sail, but at least a bit more stable.

I'm in that slack period at the lake anyhow. It's spawning season. I've yet to really find bass spawning grounds on the lake. I think there is a spot for sallies near my cabin, but it's 8' down. (A series of old tires sunk specifically for this reason.) In a week or two, the bass will be out of spawn and looking for smaller fish. Then I'll know the 3-4 places to start targeting. And once I get the pontoon, I'll have better electronics. There are areas that I'm thinking have fish but I have no idea and teh are LARGE. Trolling over them might yield some intel.

I went out on Friday in RI. I caught everything. Bluegills, pumpkin seeds, black crappie, pickerel, perch, and Largemouth. My biggest bass was 1 1/2 lbs. the crappie are 1/2 - 3/4 lb and the bluegills and pumpkin seeds are 1/4 - 1/2 lb. It's the only place I can count on decent sized pan fish. I was catching fish on almost every cast. I only used my ultralight setup because nothing big was biting. I spent 5 hours out there in my kayak.

ITfYLdl.jpg

7e0VJUS.jpg

6Up25QZ.jpg

1PCCC9H.jpg

hbLaw9Q.jpg

was out at the club on Friday.. good day for me.. about 3 lbs. Then I went out yesterday for a bit and got nada..

anyone use the FishAngler App? when I looked at the "fish forecast" and it said 0%, I wasn't surprised I got skunked yesterday.

Attachments

• 20210528_134151.jpg
    20210528_134151.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 23
Finally got onto some fish on Saturday. Nothing to write home about, but I didn't care.

SIL got a huge crappy crappie. He was P-I-S-S-E-D. Then he nailed a yellow perch a few casts later. That was 10 min into our 3 hour excursion. He went dry the entire rest of the trip.

I landed 2 Larry's and 2 Sallies. Lost another of each for sure. Not sure if 2 more Larry's I had in shallow water were well hooked or not. But 4 fish total made me happy.

Water temps should be even higher next week. They were a consistent 65 on the graph although they "felt" warmer than that. I figure after this 4 days it'll suck up a ton of solar energy. The Lillies are coming up, too, so some Summer haunts should be warming up. And hopefully the boat will be in soon and I can hit some other areas with a better graph and better driving-around setup.

I gotta get out Striper fishing soon. I haven't even wet a line anywhere since July last year!
I went out last Thursday. The biggest we caught was 27". They were biting like craze the first couple hours then died off. Also got a few blue fish in the schools of stripers.

Been out a couple of times in the kayak this season, and brought along the 5wt fly rod. The water in the hills out here isn't that warm, so targeting the weeds with surface presentations hasn't been too productive. However, dropping a grasshopper pattern close to the shoreline where there's grass growing, has resulted in some explosive surface takes by modest sized LM.

Had a spectacular trip to Gulf Stream out of Oregon Inlet last week. Lots of big Yellow Fin, Mahi, and 3 of these White Marlin. And lost an unseen seamonster

Attachments

• 47FDAC65-6EC9-42DA-874B-B8F4C8E4F154.jpeg
    47FDAC65-6EC9-42DA-874B-B8F4C8E4F154.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 3A98A783-FECA-45FE-A9DE-2286CC26D0C1.jpeg
    3A98A783-FECA-45FE-A9DE-2286CC26D0C1.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 13
Because bass are aggressive they will sometimes try to take food from another bass so you can catch two at once. There was a video on youtube where the guy kept tying more whopper ploppers on to see if he could catch a bunch of bass at once.

Years ago, I caught 2 ~12" largemouth bass on ONE jitterbug! Never had that happen before nor since!

No pix. We took out 14 total fish this weekend for about 5-6 hours "work." Sat afternoon, one decent almost-4 Larry. Sun AM, 4 Larry's. Mon AM we hit them hard. SIL took 3 Sally's, a pic and a white bass. I got ONE Sally, a pic, 2 white bass. I think total was 14 fish. My #'s might be off.

We were having too much fun to take a pic.

Best was my pick. I've got a few strange Senko colors. Transluscent pink, bubblegum, spotted bright yellow. So I was bored and tied on the translucent pink. BAM. Tried bubblegum. I didn't catch less fish than SIL. Ditto for yellow. I'm gonna leave them on and see what I can catch. I wonder sometimes how much color matters. (Water is pretty clear, FWIW)

Ball bearing snap swivels. Are there any small versions out there that actually work to prevent line twist while trolling? I'm dragging a long line from a kayak, for trout.

Back
Top Bottom