2021 CMP M1 Garand Clinic/Games/Match @ OCSA Pembroke Ma.

Garand Match
Gold 286/300
Silver 284
Bronze 277

1903/1903a3 Match
Gold 292/300
Silver 276
Bronze 272
I'm gonna have to correct these, as I didn't get a 284 for silver in Garand this match. Actually DH and I both had 282. IIRC he had 282-6X for gold trinket and I had 282-2X. That 292 in Springfield was impressive. So much for all of us getting our butts kicked by a 75 year old.

OCSA brings a unique advantage to both those who want to shoot for fun / to learn and those who want to do well vs. the country's best. Any given match the top 3 or so scores could win local matches almost anywhere else. Also people put on their fun hat and bring interesting but not so accurate iron like Carcanos, etc. and just shoot for fun. I heard some skinflints even melt down old roof flashing and shoot cast sometimes.

Was great to see new shooters again. Seems to be the norm, and welcome! 👍

I'm gonna have to correct these, as I didn't get a 284 for silver in Garand this match. Actually DH and I both had 282. IIRC he had 282-6X for gold trinket and I had 282-2X. That 292 in Springfield was impressive. So much for all of us getting our butts kicked by a 75 year old.

OCSA brings a unique advantage to both those who want to shoot for fun / to learn and those who want to do well vs. the country's best. Any given match the top 3 or so scores could win local matches almost anywhere else. Also people put on their fun hat and bring interesting but not so accurate iron like Carcanos, etc. and just shoot for fun. I heard some skinflints even melt down old roof flashing and shoot cast sometimes.

Was great to see new shooters again. Seems to be the norm, and welcome! 👍
I heard some grumbling that the Shhhmack from the meplat on the target was distracting.

Looks like I'm 'out' for the next one. Will be working in Illinois and Missouri and staying with Mom in Missouri. I'll drag a Garand and something else to practice with. I'll be shooting where I used to shoot:

27c586fe-a7b5-4f55-8804-ac6959115aab.jpg
Busch-range-aerial.jpg

Do any Yankee conservation departments build shooting ranges? It wasn't just Missouri- Tennessee Dept of Conservation builds them too.

It wasn't that fancy back in the day. The RSO working there most often was a former Marine Gunny. He once gave young me some kind, gentle (yeah right!!!) advice on not slamming a revolver cylinder closed. Otherwise I was on his good (?) side and enjoyed observing the special attention he gave to the usual F-ups that come to a public range.

Actually, maybe I can find a Garand match somewhere in the area.

Looks like I'm 'out' for the next one. Will be working in Illinois and Missouri and staying with Mom in Missouri. I'll drag a Garand and something else to practice with. I'll be shooting where I used to shoot:

Busch-range-aerial.jpg

Do any Yankee conservation departments build shooting ranges? It wasn't just Missouri- Tennessee Dept of Conservation builds them too.

It wasn't that fancy back in the day. The RSO working there most often was a former Marine Gunny. He once gave young me some kind, gentle (yeah right!!!) advice on not slamming a revolver cylinder closed. Otherwise I was on his good (?) side and enjoyed observing the special attention he gave to the usual F-ups that come to a public range.

If I hit the 300mil I might build my own tange in MA just cause, then I will build a house somewhere else with both indoor range and at least 100yd enclosed range with electronic targets

Busch-range-aerial.jpg

Looks like Im out as well, daughters start fall softball on the 12th with any luck I might get there for last relay?

Looks like Im out as well, daughters start fall softball on the 12th with any luck I might get there for last relay?
Would be nice if you can make it, but as I say- the kids are only young once.

Now to decide which two rifles to take for practice this weekend. HRA M1 for sure, plus what?

Would be nice if you can make it, but as I say- the kids are only young once.

Now to decide which two rifles to take for practice this weekend. HRA M1 for sure, plus what?
They play well for their age, its at 10 in Bridgewater so its possible to get there by 1pm. Well see.
I have to drop off some lead for Brocolli

Nice bring that fugly thing
I will bring it to Vermont as a back-up plan. To get the Bula under the 9 lb 4 oz limit I have to remove the shoulder thingy that goes or use the plastic butt plate that the armorers bitched about at Perry. If they say something about the Bula I'll show them the fugly gun and ask them to please let me shoot a man's rifle. Fugly gun makes weight and meets rules 100%. Free float barrel and 1/4 MOA sights, but they'll bitch about a plastic butt plate.
[rolleyes]

I will bring it to Vermont as a back-up plan. To get the Bula under the 9 lb 4 oz limit I have to remove the shoulder thingy that goes or use the plastic butt plate that the armorers bitched about at Perry. If they say something about the Bula I'll show them the fugly gun and ask them to please let me shoot a man's rifle. Fugly gun makes weight and meets rules 100%. Free float barrel and 1/4 MOA sights, but they'll bitch about a plastic butt plate.
[rolleyes]
Plastic is on the wrong rifle! Have you mentioned the plastic butt plate to Franco?
I personally would get a ruling from cmp!
Would they bitch about fiberglass stocks also?
Maybe a cast aluminum one?

On a serious note I’m going to get a little more practice in before coming for modern military. Haven’t zeroed in my rifles yet. Shooting for November modern military and October for the Garand shoot.

Plastic is on the wrong rifle! Have you mentioned the plastic butt plate to Franco?
I think he'll give me a pass for that plastic butt plate because it's a work-around for his favorite topic (not) = CMP rules.

Anyway I ditched that and have the USGI plate sans the shoulder thingy that goes up.

Bula passed the Camp Ethan Allen inspection without the shoulder-thingy-that-goes-up. Only 0.02 lbs under the limit. Others from the OCSA crew were bumped to Unlimited. I would have shot a 99-2, 95-1, 81-0 but had a brain fart and cross fired a '10'. Haven't done that in years. Also had a miss in Springfield offhand, which I haven't done in a long time. Otherwise would have done well in that too. Good times.

They were closely inspecting scopes for Vintage Sniper- any 'hidden' 10X scopes on USMC 1941 clones were deemed out of competition. Goofy 8X rules, ask Franco about that one. 10X makes no difference to the shooter except helps to find more vintage scopes.

9 people in total from the OCSA regulars were competing at Camp Ethan Allen this week. One or more of us medaled in each of the 4 GSMM events with everyone else doing some solid shooting for good scores. Got bronze in Garand (just missed silver) with the Franco Special and bronze in Vintage with the K31. DH got 3 or 4 bronze, GH a bronze or two.

Moral of the story is come shoot at Old Colony CMP matches- you can build skills to do well at big matches against shooters from all over the country.

Bringing the Finn and the HRA to the next OCSA.

not sure what I will bring, might just bring a selection of bolt guns. Also depends if my life schedule does not interfere

Bolt guns to play with
K31, K98, Enfield, Swede , jap ?

Wont be making it to next match, not even late to stand over you guys and distract tou with shadows and empty cases

Wont be making it to next match, not even late to stand over you guys and distract tou with shadows and empty cases
I'm not falling for that. I'll be keeping my Mac look-outs on the payroll until I finish shooting.

edit- Not bringing the HRA but will bring the Spaghetti Special. Chef Boyardee (me) cooked up some 155 loads months ago that are supposed to the the shit in a 1:12 barrel, but it seems that I have done better with 168's. I have ignored those loads long enough and time to get them out of my ammo cabinet. Still bringing the Finn. I have some misc 54R surplus ammo somebody left in the dirt at the range. I'll wipe it off and see if it shoots on Sunday.

Last edited:
Very good turnout. Best part was even more new shooters- some repeat, some first time.

Franco was classic Franco- cranky as hell but super helpful with coaching and sorting out 'new' M1's. He killed it in Garand. I got silver. Chip got gold for vintage, Franco might have been bronze? DH won't some trinkets too I think.

Hoping to make November and embarrass myself with a wood gun.
Sandbagger! Heard you were shooting well at across the course stuff. Might focus more on some of that next year.

Bula? I'd bring mine but plan to bring the ugly poo-say gun.

For Modern military probably the Bula M14 USGI Clone. I shot it out at Perry, so trying to keep the momentum.

Back
Top Bottom