• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2021/2022 Upland Hunting

Rabbits count as upland right?

Snow helps a ton with chasing rabbits.

When all the woodcock have flown south, there's no more leftover state stocked pheasant and goose season has pretty much run it's course.... well... we hunt rabbit.

I'm not very successful rabbit hunter with my lab. But it's nice to get outdoors, get some exercise for me and the dog and have some fun. We can hunt them till the end of Feb in CT and MA.

We hit a local WMA today hoping for some leftover phez but it was quickly apparent there was none left.
So I figured we'd walk around and see if we can find some cottontails.
We flushed a few and was able to hit one on the go.

I was really surprised how tight the rabbits were sitting. I practically had to kick the bush right where the rabbit was to get it to flush. It seems like even if my lab was just a foot or so from the rabbit.. it stills wouldn't flush.

So I guess I learned to watch my lab a little more and kick bushes where he's "birdie".

272253360_239508638385372_5897316974410224875_n.jpg

272980002_2703611166451932_5460313922711009175_n.jpg

Rabbits count as upland right?

Snow helps a ton with chasing rabbits.

When all the woodcock have flown south, there's no more leftover state stocked pheasant and goose season has pretty much run it's course.... well... we hunt rabbit.

I'm not very successful rabbit hunter with my lab. But it's nice to get outdoors, get some exercise for me and the dog and have some fun. We can hunt them till the end of Feb in CT and MA.

We hit a local WMA today hoping for some leftover phez but it was quickly apparent there was none left.
So I figured we'd walk around and see if we can find some cottontails.
We flushed a few and was able to hit one on the go.

I was really surprised how tight the rabbits were sitting. I practically had to kick the bush right where the rabbit was to get it to flush. It seems like even if my lab was just a foot or so from the rabbit.. it stills wouldn't flush.

So I guess I learned to watch my lab a little more and kick bushes where he's "birdie".

View attachment 571765

View attachment 571764
Very nice!

Side note. In MA, rabbit hunting hours run until midnight. I've spotted a bunch of them at night while hunting coyote.

Back
Top Bottom