2021/2022 Upland Hunting

I’ve been going on this ND hunt for 5 years and this was by far the most productive trip. We feel that a front that came through may have concentrated the birds. We hunted 4 days and only drove by 1 other upland game hunter.
A beautiful part of the country, you can really feel like you are back in the old west. I’ll be reliving this trip for a long time.

Attachments

• CD93CA8B-F4BD-4D1C-A416-E2DC23F654F8.jpeg
    CD93CA8B-F4BD-4D1C-A416-E2DC23F654F8.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 27
Went out yesterday with a buddy for opening day at the Southwick WMA Hunting was horrible. Between my springer and his GSP we did not put up one bird. Others shooting was very sparse. Worst opening day ever. Heat was tough on the dogs as well. Lots of rest breaks and lots of water was needed.

Max slept the rest of the day at home.

Attachments

• 20211016_203738.jpg
    20211016_203738.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 16
Back out again this morning. Dog treed a rooster in thick stuff, once I got there it took off and I shot tops off of two tree limbs and it cackled back laughing at me. Then we put one up in the middle of a field, my buddy who rarely misses was closest so I let him shoot first......he missed. And I was so surprised at that I just stood there like an idiot and didn't even shoot. Oh well.......not that easy some days.

Moved one woodcock that would have been an easy kill...but let it fly.

Dog was not impressed today.....

I just got back from my annual partridge trip in Maine. Hunting was slow, it was hot with lots of foliage still. We only got 6 between the 4 of us and only saw around 20 birds. We got 30 and saw over 100 last year in the same area. Moosehead area is God's country, can't wait for next year.

I just got back from my annual partridge trip in Maine. Hunting was slow, it was hot with lots of foliage still. We only got 6 between the 4 of us and only saw around 20 birds. We got 30 and saw over 100 last year in the same area. Moosehead area is God's country, can't wait for next year.
But your actually hunting wild birds ....so there's that. 👍

I'm planning on doing a trip next year....probably northern NH because I'd rather buy that license, so I have it for deer hunting too.

I moved a lot of woodcock around there this year. Probably have 20 flushes already. Definately more fun than pheasant, but I'd love to get into some grouse, they are basically extinct around here now from what they used to be.

Didn’t do so well chasing grouse on Saturday AM and the WMA was empty of birds when I hit it Saturday afternoon. And of course I had to travel for work all week. Got home last last night and this AM my lab Emmit gave me that “ there’s no way you’re going in to work today…..we got birds to chase”

So we hit the WMA. Nice MA limit on phez in 30 minutes and then chased timber doodles for a while. Didn’t seem there was as many flushes as a week or so ago but we still manages to knock down two. Really wanted that third bird for a WC limit… still a good day in the woods

55FE825E-4718-4243-8733-C269E5D23459.jpeg

I was told today the partridge are feasting on mushrooms. None on the roads but they are in the brush.
Rain tomorrow so I have some work in the basement and I’ll put a tow bumper on the sled in the garage.
Just as well. Residents only for opening day.

Didn’t do so well chasing grouse on Saturday AM and the WMA was empty of birds when I hit it Saturday afternoon. And of course I had to travel for work all week. Got home last last night and this AM my lab Emmit gave me that “ there’s no way you’re going in to work today…..we got birds to chase”

So we hit the WMA. Nice MA limit on phez in 30 minutes and then chased timber doodles for a while. Didn’t seem there was as many flushes as a week or so ago but we still manages to knock down two. Really wanted that third bird for a WC limit… still a good day in the woods

View attachment 535043
Absolutely slaying the Pheasant this year......so many I'm just shooting Roosters now. Did good Thursday, and this morning. I heard they aren't stocking Bolton flats.....my local area is getting a lot of birds. Like you also seeing a lot of woodcock flushes. I don't generally shoot them. But Im counting up to 20 now since the season started. 10 would have been very decent shots.
No grouse at all......

Got Two more roosters this morning. 8 flushes total.
Birds were all wet Saturday and running. Dog caught 2 Saturday but lots of leftovers this morning. Holding tight and were all over the place.

Wife made some pheasant meatballs this weekend.

Anyone here target Snipe?(no jokes please) I was duck hunting an inland area but semi close to the sea, and saw sandpiper like birds dipping and weaving over harvested cranberry’s. I didn’t know what they were so I didn’t take any. I’m pretty sure they weren’t Woodcock.

Anyone here target Snipe?(no jokes please) I was duck hunting an inland area but semi close to the sea, and saw sandpiper like birds dipping and weaving over harvested cranberry’s. I didn’t know what they were so I didn’t take any. I’m pretty sure they weren’t Woodcock.
No. But theres a season for them.

Woodcock to me arent worth shooting, so im not sure snipe are either.

The dog has fun finding them but I dont eat, so I dont shoot.

Got Two more roosters this morning. 8 flushes total.
Birds were all wet Saturday and running. Dog caught 2 Saturday but lots of leftovers this morning. Holding tight and were all over the place.

Wife made some pheasant meatballs this weekend.
Two roosters up/two down today again at my local WMA. 15 minutes total. Dog didn't even break a sweat. 2nd week in a row this has happened.

Im at my season State bird limit. Looks like I'll be hunting the private club Saturdays from now on and doing a bit more bowhunting than I was going to.

I'm glad next year they are taking out the season limit........if the amount of birds next year is as good as this year, paying for the tag will be worth it.

Two roosters up/two down today again at my local WMA. 15 minutes total. Dog didn't even break a sweat. 2nd week in a row this has happened.

Im at my season State bird limit. Looks like I'll be hunting the private club Saturdays from now on and doing a bit more bowhunting than I was going to.

I'm glad next year they are taking out the season limit........if the amount of birds next year is as good as this year, paying for the tag will be worth it.
Good to know they are stocking well. Part of my "question everything government" attitude makes me think they are stocking more because they know the price is gonna go up and they want the bird hunters to buy those tags next year 😂

Good to know they are stocking well. Part of my "question everything government" attitude makes me think they are stocking more because they know the price is gonna go up and they want the bird hunters to buy those tags next year 😂
That may be true!!!

Though, personally, I really think we are getting more birds because Bolton Flats is not being stocked this year cause its flooded.

Honestly, as far as MA Fish and Wildlife goes, the pheasant program is very well run, at least in Central MA. Ive really never had any complaints about it, in the last 30 years of hunting Ive never not shot my season limit.

I can also see some other hunters who do not hunt pheasant's point. Its a put and take and we should pay for the program.....I can live with that. I will still argue that's not right for my club to pay 2500 to raise birds and we are paying for a tag..........but since they are taking away the season limit now.........well then I'm shooting a lot more birds now than I was before.....like I can see my season limit jumping way up there to over 30 birds easy. I've been shooting only roosters since the first week.

Now if you talk to me about raising prices on tags for Archery and Muzzleloader Stamps for deer.....yeah...no......deer hunting sucks here. That will totally stop me from deer hunting here. I'm pretty much a casual hunter right now as it is.

Whiffed on a rooster about 3 minutes into my hunt this morning.
He took off into the sunset.
Reddened myself about 10 minutes later.
Cut it short due to responsibilities but not a bad hunt.

Used a few state birds that I shot this week to make some of Hank Shaw’s General Tso’s Pheasant. Came out really good.

General Tso's Pheasant Recipe - Hunter Angler Gardener Cook

I promised myself I’d try more game recipes this year instead of the normal stuff I normally make with game… and Hank Shaws got some good stuff.

I used dried Ancho peppers as the Chile and they didn’t really work…. Next time I’ll skip those and add some sesame seeds at the end as a garnish.
Was still really good though..
son liked it…. Daughter didn’t.. she preferred the pheasant Schnitzel I usually make
Can’t please everyone all the time
F1EE0710-FEAC-4630-8EB5-F5B8E426E2E9.jpeg
A50014D8-69B8-41CD-A637-05AB18EA314C.jpeg
4C59487C-7FB1-4149-B74B-EF323E04B3FF.jpeg

Used a few state birds that I shot this week to make some of Hank Shaw’s General Tso’s Pheasant. Came out really good.

General Tso's Pheasant Recipe - Hunter Angler Gardener Cook

I promised myself I’d try more game recipes this year instead of the normal stuff I normally make with game… and Hank Shaws got some good stuff.

I used dried Ancho peppers as the Chile and they didn’t really work…. Next time I’ll skip those and add some sesame seeds at the end as a garnish.
Was still really good though..
son liked it…. Daughter didn’t.. she preferred the pheasant Schnitzel I usually make
Can’t please everyone all the time
View attachment 542528
View attachment 542529
View attachment 542530
Hank shaw has awesome stuff. I've tried many of his venison recipes out of the buck buck moose book.

Last edited:

Snipe's been on my mind because of the earlier season than grouse/woodcock here in NH and I also live within walking distance of both dairy farms and the Connecticut River, and snipe are supposed to like muddy ground like cow pastures and river flats.

That being said, bear in NH starts on 9/1 and 9/20, and snipe starts on 9/15, so I might do only one next year. Probably going to be bear because one of my girlfriends has given me marching orders to shoot a bear.

Back
Top Bottom