Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Last edited:

mcshooter

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
It was first thing am, and the only one I found before driving out that said serious but nonlife threatening. I just found this

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was there in the stands that day, which is 19 years ago tomorrow (2/18/01)
I was in the bathroom in a bar on the border in Ft Kent during a snowmobile trip when Dale crashed.

I was in the stands at the start-finish line in 2003 when Newman rolled down the front strech.

Gator9329

That Guy
NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I would like to see the post accident inspection of the car . I wonder how those welds held up and how the seat made out.
It must be concerning when you are welding up a cage for a car like that. Knowing that every weld must be 100% or it could cause someone to lose their life.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was there in 2004 when Dale Jr. won his first Daytona 500. I was sitting in the cheap backstretch seats.(they tore them down a couple years ago?)
President George W Bush was there and Leanne Rimes , Mmmm
Good memories
"Nascar, beer & hot ladies make the world a better place"

Mattyweb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone heard any updates on Newman? Still all I can find is serious but not life threatening.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
His FB page says they will release info as it becomes available, they are asking for privacy.

His wife tossed him overboard just before Valentines day too.... suck month for him

ISOTOX

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N of the Rebublic. SE of Alba and W of Ling Ling
Glad it not life threatening. That looked bad when he hit him on the drivers side at 200mph.

Ya not life threatening...what the hell does that mean...Ya not dead but the potential of being screwed up for life...Does non life threating somehow make it better? Sucks either way. Opinion's may vary.

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Ya not life threatening...what the hell does that mean...Ya not dead but the potential of being screwed up for life...Does non life threating somehow make it better? Sucks either way. Opinion's may vary.
With the way that hit happened I'm thinking at least head, neck trauma with a couple good broken bones in the collarbone, shoulder, arm. Purely speculative, but it would fit with that hit. Hopefully he doesn't have any paralysis.

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is interesting. I doesn't mention the welds specifically.

Pretty cool video. It sounds as though Nascars chassis certification is mostly to prohibit teams from using thinner wall tubing, or from making design changes to the chassis. So not sure if they inspect welds or not.

I dont know Nascar, but I've spent enough time with very fast drag racing door cars. Any competent chassis builder will be able to self police his own welds, and then theres a chassis shop "boss" who has final say. Different geometry, but the same basic principles.

Dadstoys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm glad to hear he's awake and talking.
I hope for his full recovery.
I have to admit my heart just sank when they put up those black screens.
I wasn't going to bed till I heard one way or another.

I have to tell this story about Ryan Newman.
I've met him a couple of times and the dude is one of the nicest people you would want to meet.
About 10 years ago when my son's best friend was in the hospital in NY around Christmas time getting cancer treatments.
The top 10 drivers where in town for the awards banquet.
They came by the hospital to visit the kids.
All of them where great with the kids .
When it was time for them to go, Newman still had some kids waiting to get to talk to him and he told the other guys to go ahead and take off , he would grab a cab and meet them later.

Our little buddy got his chance to sit with him and thought it was the coolest thing they both had the same first name.
He didn't rush and the two of them had a great chat.
When they got home his mother couldn't say enough about what wonderful people the drivers where , especially Newman.
He made a couple of new fans that day for sure.

A few months later I managed to snag a die cast of Newman's car with the Cookies for Cancer paint scheme on it .
A charity the little guy's Mom is very involved in.
I caught up with him at the track in Charlotte and got him to autograph it for our little friend.
He remembered everything about him.
His name and where he lived.
The guy is a very sincere and genuine person.

fmyspray

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad to hear he's awake and talking.
I hope for his full recovery.
I have to admit my heart just sank when they put up those black screens.
I wasn't going to bed till I heard one way or another.

I have to tell this story about Ryan Newman.
I've met him a couple of times and the dude is one of the nicest people you would want to meet.
About 10 years ago when my son's best friend was in the hospital in NY around Christmas time getting cancer treatments.
The top 10 drivers where in town for the awards banquet.
They came by the hospital to visit the kids.
All of them where great with the kids .
When it was time for them to go, Newman still had some kids waiting to get to talk to him and he told the other guys to go ahead and take off , he would grab a cab and meet them later.

Our little buddy got his chance to sit with him and thought it was the coolest thing they both had the same first name.
He didn't rush and the two of them had a great chat.
When they got home his mother couldn't say enough about what wonderful people the drivers where , especially Newman.
He made a couple of new fans that day for sure.

A few months later I managed to snag a die cast of Newman's car with the Cookies for Cancer paint scheme on it .
A charity the little guy's Mom is very involved in.
I caught up with him at the track in Charlotte and got him to autograph it for our little friend.
He remembered everything about him.
His name and where he lived.
The guy is a very sincere and genuine person.
I too have a Ryan Newman story. While at the Sept 2005 NHIS race, we went down behind the grandstands where the souvenirs, T-Shirts are sold to look around. My son, then 9 years old was wearing his Ryan Newman T-Shirt & hat. Ryan was, and still is his favorite driver. We spotted Ryan 75 plus feet away being driven in his golf cart. The place was packed, I mean packed with fans. My son yelled to Ryan, who saw him, got out of his cart, waded through the crowd of people who were mobbing him. He made is way over to my son, shook his hand and autographed his hat. Ryan went on that day to win the race in New Hampshire. We all wish Ryan Newman a speedy, full recovery. He is a classy guy and a true competitor.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have a Ryan Newman story. While at the Sept 2005 NHIS race, we went down behind the grandstands where the souvenirs, T-Shirts are sold to look around. My son, then 9 years old was wearing his Ryan Newman T-Shirt & hat. Ryan was, and still is his favorite driver. We spotted Ryan 75 plus feet away being driven in his golf cart. The place was packed, I mean packed with fans. My son yelled to Ryan, who saw him, got out of his cart, waded through the crowd of people who were mobbing him. He made is way over to my son, shook his hand and autographed his hat. Ryan went on that day to win the race in New Hampshire. We all wish Ryan Newman a speedy, full recovery. He is a classy guy and a true competitor.
I was there that day, he ran well.

Top Bottom