2020 Murder Rate Increase Highest on Record

That’s a shitty click-bait fear mongering misrepresentation of the data.

That’s a chart of the first derivative of the murder rate, not the murder rate itself.

See all those bars that stick below the “0” line? All of those are reductions in the murder rate.

Although the murder rate increased, the rate is still very low by historical standards.

That’s a shitty click-bait fear mongering misrepresentation of the data.

That’s a chart of the first derivative of the murder rate, not the murder rate itself.

See all those bars that stick below the “0” line? All of those are reductions in the murder rate.

Although the murder rate increased, the rate is still very low by historical standards.
You need to read it again. It’s the INCREASE (percent) in rate. That is clearly stated in my post.

And not sure how there’s “click bait” if there no link.

😂

You need to read it again. It’s the INCREASE (percent) in rate. That is clearly stated in my post.

And not sure how there’s “click bait” if there no link.

😂

You may not have provided a link, but the graphic was surely intended to exaggerate the change, to make it seem way worse than it is. So, not YOUR clickbait, but it was clickbait by the NYT.

My point is that it's a misrepresentation of the data. For instance, if the murder rate goes from 0.01 per 100k to 0.03 per 100k, that's a 300% increase. But it's still a freakin' tiny number.

This chart is intended to make everyone scared and shit their pants because the murder rate is so high, but it's not. The murder rate is still quite low.

You may not have provided a link, but the graphic was surely intended to exaggerate the change, to make it seem way worse than it is. So, not YOUR clickbait, but it was clickbait by the NYT.

My point is that it's a misrepresentation of the data. For instance, if the murder rate goes from 0.01 per 100k to 0.03 per 100k, that's a 300% increase. But it's still a freakin' tiny number.

This chart is intended to make everyone scared and shit their pants because the murder rate is so high, but it's not. The murder rate is still quite low.
I choose to interpret it as “everyone should buy more guns and ammo”.

30% increase in murder rate is pretty substantial. I'm trying to figure out how the number is wrong or misleading.

Number of murders is highest since 95. Murder per capita is still way down, but up significantly last year obviously as well.

I wonder how much of the lowering of the crime rates in the 90's was at least tangentially related to the strong jobs market at that time. Hard to do mischief if you've gotta clock in. (Ditto for those dirtbags of the Occupy Wall Street contingent and the scumbags who trashed an Indian reservation protesting that pipeline around the same time. "No more fossil fuels, here let me throw my MD can and my Fritos bag right here next to a pile of my shit.")

30% increase in murder rate is pretty substantial. I'm trying to figure out how the number is wrong or misleading.

Number of murders is highest since 95. Murder per capita is still way down, but up significantly last year obviously as well.

It's misleading because 30% of a small number is still a small number.

That's not a chart of "murders per year", or "murders per 100k people", it's comparing last year's 4/100k to this year's 5/100k. These are both very low numbers compared to the '70s -'90s where it was like 15/100k. Don't take those numbers literally, I didn't look them up, they're from memory.

Murders in 2020 versus ALL years after 1995 is bad. 21,500 murders. It was down to 14,000 back in 2010. That's a 50% increase.

I don't think that it's in a vacuum. Murder is probably the MOST reported of the violent crimes. So I'm assuming we are seeing an uptick in everything. Sure, we gotta see what 2021 brings to see if this is a one-time Ronie trend or something bigger.

Violent crime, in general, was up last year. Again, not sure why. We'll have to wait and see.

I wonder how much of the lowering of the crime rates in the 90's was at least tangentially related to the strong jobs market at that time. Hard to do mischief if you've gotta clock in. (Ditto for those dirtbags of the Occupy Wall Street contingent and the scumbags who trashed an Indian reservation protesting that pipeline around the same time. "No more fossil fuels, here let me throw my MD can and my Fritos bag right here next to a pile of my shit.")
Careful with those percentages. For example, Maine covid deaths went from 1 to 3 one day. Whoopty-f***in-doo.

Was reported as 300% increase!, causing explosive pants shitting and demands for more tyranny in the masses that dont understand percentages.😅

"James Alan Fox, a professor of criminology at Northeastern University who analyzes data on violent crime, called last year an "aberration" and perhaps not indicative of a longer-term trend. "Last year was unique in many ways," Fox said. "Because of the pandemic, people were not in structured activities: Kids were not in school and adults were not at work. The whole country was divided by politics, the response to the coronavirus and the social justice movement." Those anxious conditions, Fox said, were accompanied by a surge in gun sales.

"Eventually, those guns get used in the heat of anger," he said."

Well, that proves Universal Background Checks are useless - every gun sale counted in the 2020 "surge in gun sales" required a NICS Brady background check. Although the 2020/2019 64% yoy increase in gun sales - some 23 million guns - didn’t all get used in "the heat of anger". In fact, if each of the 21,570 homicides in 2020 were perpetrated with one of those 2020-purchased guns, less than 1 in 1000 of those guns would have been used "in the heat of anger" to kill someone.

Guns being designed to be lethal, a 1 in 1000 effectiveness score is (Piss Poor)^10(-3) at best…

As always, NYT takes the prize. Old white men are more likely to just snap and commit mass shootings, while young, Black, male gang members are driven to killing by inequities and systemic racism…

"The data also shows that the gun violence driving much of the surge is concentrated among a relatively small number of people within communities where retaliatory shootings are more common. The pandemic curbed both the community outreach programs and the policing that helped to keep murders and other violent crime in check.

“It is those people and places, the pandemic’s impact on those people that matters most,” said Thomas Abt, a senior fellow at the Council on Criminal Justice. “For the men who are at the highest risk of violence, living in poor communities of color, typically, they were already under pressure, they were already under strain, they were already marginalized and isolated, and the pandemic exacerbated that significantly.”

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom