2020 Multitool Thread

Cartoons

NES Member
The TSA confiscated my first generation Leatherman Wave (I forgot to take it off my belt) so I spent a fair amount of time looking for a replacement.

I settled on the Gerber Suspense NXT - as it had the tools that I liked/actually used from the original Wave.

Pros
Each Tool has a locking feature
Tools accessible from the outside (don't need to unfold the tool to reach them)
Belt Clip
Blade
Long and narrow Phillips-Head Screwdriver
Scissors quality

Cons (for me)
1/2 serrated blade.

Intended usage: EDC, opening packages, quick fixes

1580762717522.jpeg 1580762736246.jpeg

The last multitool thread is a few years old, so I thought I'd start a new one...

I was a huge fan of the old SOG paratool. It opened kinda funky, but it was no pain on the hands like an old school Leatherman. After a few years, I picked up a SOG "Power Pliars" tool with compound leverage. (which was kinda cool for crimping connectors, and cutting really hard wire.) But those two are long gone to time. I do have a Gerber similar to that one I received as a gift, and it's ok. I kinda liked the old gerber snap out ones, but will pinch the crap out of your hand cutting coat hanger sized things.

Old school paratool.

"Power Pliers"
Amazon product ASIN B01LXP7BA6View: https://www.amazon.com/SOG-Multitool-Pliers-Hand-Tools/dp/B01LXP7BA6

Last edited:
The creme de la creme are the Multitasker V3 and the Leatherman MUT. The multitasker is precision CNC machined from billet stock and has many useful little armorer tools for if your shit goes down at the range. The MUT similarly, but with locking tools.

I broke my original wave last year after having owned it for 10+ years. I dropped it off my workbench onto a concrete floor and it snapped the non serrated blade. They replaced it with a new Wave and I like it. I have one of the Supertools 200 too but I like the Wave better because you don't have to open the thing to get to the blades. I feel naked without it.

I inherited my Dad's original leatherman I got him way back when. And his newer Wave.

Together with my own two original Waves and one newer Wave I'm up to five total.

My first original Wave went over the side of a boat. So I replaced it with #2. And I ended up with two because I thought I lost #2, replaced it with #3, and then found #2 again (I to this with lots of tools, it seems). And I wanted a "new Wave" because I'd seen my Dads and liked it, only to inherit his, too.

I’ve been carrying a Leatherman Supertool 300 for about 7+ years now. I’d love to cary something a little smaller/lighter but I’ve yet to find a multi tool that has the same type of awl. That is essential for me as I use it all the time at work.

Wave here, mainly because the blades are on the outside. Is there a good multitool with both the pliers and a blade accessible without having to butterfly it open?

Near 30 years ago, I got one of the "original" type Leatherman's. I was anti-multi-tool for a long time because if you put any sort of leverage on the pliers, the whole thing would flex. My dad would wear one in the nasty-ugly leather pouch on his belt. With his suit. To work. LOL. That was funny. At his heart, even as comptroller of a bank, he was still a mainframe operator, ripping the guts out of an impact printer or tape drive.

I have two leathermans. A wave thats about 10 years old and a sidekick thats about 2. The wave is great and durable but a little heavy with some tools that i rarely use - the saw l, serrated knife, and file rarely come out. The sidekick eliminates those and the mini screwdriver but is less durable. The pliers are also springy which is not true of the wave. I use the wave around the house when theres a project going on or im trying to fix something. I bring the sidekick fishing because i like the pocket clip and apring pliers.

I carry a leather man Skeletool everyday for the last ten years or so like it a lot the only thing I do is Teagarden the blade to a 30 degree angle to hold edge better

I’d love to have the MUT but can’t justify the cost. Even used ones on eBay are north of $100.

Funny I have a multitool and i cant even remeber the brand. Probably 25+ yrs old now and i never really gave it much thought about it needing to be open to access the tools?
i have my dads leatherman also which has to be close to 40 years old ??

I carry a LM Wingman everyday. Out of the models of LM out there, its what works for me.

(I do also have a LM Rev, Rebar with extra attachments, Dime, and some others. But the Wingman is what I carry daily).

I'm not an old school multitool guy, I only discovered their "daily-carry" practicality several years ago, and then I wondered why I was so ignorant and clueless prior .....

o_O🤪👍

Except maybe weight, what's the diff between a FREE and your average SOG multi-tool? Similar lock. Similar tool layout. On a per-tool basis, the FREE is 2oz lighter but also doesn't have compound leverage pliers. And the price difference is massive.

I'm not busting balls - I'm trying to see what it might have. (I find the SOG a bit heavy for most things. So one sits in my car and another in my tackle box.)

Except maybe weight, what's the diff between a FREE and your average SOG multi-tool? Similar lock. Similar tool layout. On a per-tool basis, the FREE is 2oz lighter but also doesn't have compound leverage pliers. And the price difference is massive.

I'm not busting balls - I'm trying to see what it might have. (I find the SOG a bit heavy for most things. So one sits in my car and another in my tackle box.)
A unique feature of the FREE is that magnets hold the tools in place. They are much easier to open rather than actually needing a tool to open a tool. I have yet to use a real one though - I never handled a FREE.

Don't know SOG quality but leather man is really good with a great warranty. Also knife steel is a big difference in most of these tools. Leather man charge+ uses s30v which is super nice.

At the risk of tainting this thread for the Leatherman fanboys, has anyone taken a deep dive into the plethora of cheap knockoff Chinese multitools and found out what is the best skinflint option for a real, working tool?

Comparing to my Leatherman Wave Plus, what I have found so far:

- Walmart/Ozark Trail Multiforce for $34 -- this gets a bit of hype online on youtube as a Wave clone superior to the Wave in a couple of ways, but I found it underwhelming even for $34. The nose of the pliers bumps into the hex driver when closing, preventing it from fully closing smoothly. The diamond file is not flat, but retains a ridge at the edges where they stamped the metal.

- B/Bury 21-in-1 for $20 - this is a HEFTY tool at 12 oz. I haven't used it much, but it feels extremely robust and well made.
Amazon product ASIN B07QFZRJ5WView: https://www.amazon.com/Multitool-Multi-Purpose-Stainless-Multi-Plier-Multi-tool/dp/B07QFZRJ5W?th=1

Last edited:
Looking for the same opinions. A couple of co-workers are using the Leatherman Wingman. I had an original, and while not perfect would still use it if I could find it (early model - $10 on clearance - too cheap to buy another unless I can't find the first one). Gerber Multiplier used to get good reviews, so I'm open to other options, as well. Comfortable handles and a good needle nose are pluses.

Bought a wave years ago, Now sits in my EDC bag when I found a skeletool that's a little quicker and not as heavy.
Have a Mut when they first came out but is a safe queen next to my Buckmaster 184 .

Back
Top Bottom