2020 Fishing thread

Tried to go trout fishing here in RI. The couple local areas were full of older (than me) so late 60,s plus. All hanging around right on top of each other like it was any other day. I didn’t stay. Too many people for me and the state of the world made me not want to stay.

You’d think people who are more susceptible to this virus would be more cautious.

Today should be opening day at the Quabbin, but it's been postponed because fish transmit the virus (?). I can understand why they didn't want to open the gates for boating because employees might be at risk (minimal), but why close shore fishing? The truth is DCR doesn't want anyone fishing the Quabbin, ever.

Took a ride by the local state boat ramp yesterday. It remains locked. Dozens of vehicles parked nearby on the grass, with many people fishing from shore. This is only a ramp, with parking for boat trailers only. It's not a park. There're no docks. Looks like I'll have to use the kayak, and slide it down a bank.

Took a ride by the local state boat ramp yesterday. It remains locked. Dozens of vehicles parked nearby on the grass, with many people fishing from shore. This is only a ramp, with parking for boat trailers only. It's not a park. There're no docks. Looks like I'll have to use the kayak, and slide it down a bank.
Its what freedom looks like

Today should be opening day at the Quabbin, but it's been postponed because fish transmit the virus (?). I can understand why they didn't want to open the gates for boating because employees might be at risk (minimal), but why close shore fishing? The truth is DCR doesn't want anyone fishing the Quabbin, ever.

I have heard straight from the mouth of a DCR district rep that they do not want fishing in ANY body of water nor watershed within their control. Sounded bitter about the arrangement for the limited fishing at Wachusett Reservoir and disgusted about the Quabbin. Also it's all about protecting Boston metro water supply- literally zero F's about any other water resource, even if it's upstream of one they control. If they had a ridiculous budget they'd probably try to fund their own armed police force to keep people out their water- oh, wait...

Great day at the Chu yesterday. My first ever landlocked salmon. 22 inches and 3 pounds. It was a wild catch too. He was about a hundred feet out chasing something on the surface. He was going crazy. I had a white jig on so I tossed it near him. Seconds of it hitting the water he crushes it. About twenty feet from shore he jumped straight out of the water about three times. Great fighting fish. Stripped line a number of times as he neared the shoreline.

IMG_5985 (1).jpg

Great day at the Chu yesterday. My first ever landlocked salmon. 22 inches and 3 pounds. It was a wild catch too. He was about a hundred feet out chasing something on the surface. He was going crazy. I had a white jig on so I tossed it near him. Seconds of it hitting the water he crushes it. About twenty feet from shore he jumped straight out of the water about three times. Great fighting fish. Stripped line a number of times as he neared the shoreline.

View attachment 351914
That is awesome!

Has anyone tried to fish Houghton's pond in the Blue Hills or Trout Brook , etc.? Info I can find is mixed . . . not exactly " Labrador " [laugh] but, want to wet some flys

My daughter caught a 5.5 almost a decade ago. We had it mounted (picture mounted, not frozen fish mounted).

Nice Peter! I've never eaten small mouth before, I have to give it a try now.
Highly recommended. We love our perch and crappie. But I have to admit this is a step above. And that says a lot because crappie and perch are hard to beat. I think part of it has to do with the fact that they like cold water. Just like walleye, I think fish coming out of cold water taste better. They do not pick up the taste of their environment. And it is a white flaky filet.

Back
Top Bottom