• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2020 CMP M1 Garand Clinic OCSA , SEASON is OVER

Thanks mac, but that orange thing actually worked very well and for the most part stayed out of the way. I'm going to experiment with wearing it another way just to see what happens. Might try the do-it-yourself route one more time for $10. I do not think I got enough into the ear canal the first time. Want to try again.
And I think I can come up with something to hold my glasses in position so I can put my thumb back on the stock! [laugh]
Yes,
I had to roll out the putty to get it into my ear better, i rolled it down like the foam ones and Thren molded it around .

Thanks mac, but that orange thing actually worked very well and for the most part stayed out of the way. I'm going to experiment with wearing it another way just to see what happens. Might try the do-it-yourself route one more time for $10. I do not think I got enough into the ear canal the first time. Want to try again.
And I think I can come up with something to hold my glasses in position so I can put my thumb back on the stock! [laugh]
Glasses are a pita so far im liking the Decot set.

You can always go full on adjustable with endless types of lenses and accesories

Does anyone know if Braintree is still running their matches on 3rd Saturdays. It's not on the club calendar, but it's not unheard of things to slip through the cracks when it comes to the website

yeah.. I guess my M1 is a pizzachit too.. after my squib, I had him take a look at it and knock out the stuck bullet.. said I needed new barrel, oprod, and gas block.. $$$

funny, seemed to shoot ok for me until that squib load..

funny.. guy came from roughly the same part of Italy my dad came from.

yeah.. I guess my M1 is a pizzachit too.. after my squib, I had him take a look at it and knock out the stuck bullet.. said I needed new barrel, oprod, and gas block.. $$$

Hes looking at it as best results for match shooting. Hes touched or flat out built most of the rifles there on sunday.
Along with many that show up at the nationals. A new barrel , trigger job and a,nice fitting stock really go a long way.
fun stuff.

“You can’t put that thing (Colt AR) on that rack get that pizzashit outta there!”

LOL did he actually say that to someone? I'll put my AR-bomination right next to his rifles next time. That ugly-ass thing took gold at least the last two times I shot it- in the previous OCSA and at Ames. Maybe last 3 times?

Something to note, the 277-8X I shot this Sunday would not stand up to his usual shooting. I'd need to be at least in the 280's. At least it was with the Bula M14, as I have been told before, "I guess you can-a shoot-a poo-say gun OK."

Last edited:

Hes looking at it as best results for match shooting. Hes touched or flat out built most of the rifles there on sunday.
Along with many that show up at the nationals. A new barrel , trigger job and a,nice fitting stock really go a long way.
fun stuff.

Squib was your load? Glad you didn't send another behind it.

Mac is correct- he is judging by the standard of a match ready rifle capable of competing well nationally. He knows what M1's are capable of once they are sorted out and knows exactly what condition the key components must have.

You should have seen the POS I gave him as an organ donor to do a build. Many parts were toast- he was pissed at CMP for shipping something in that condition. Of course he's always pissed at the CMP, LOL.

There are some things you can do to tighten up your M1 as it is now.

fun stuff.
Squib was your load? Glad you didn't send another behind it.

Mac is correct- he is judging by the standard of a match ready rifle capable of competing well nationally. He knows what M1's are capable of once they are sorted out and knows exactly what condition the key components must have.

You should have seen the POS I gave him as an organ donor to do a build. Many parts were toast- he was pissed at CMP for shipping something in that condition. Of course he's always pissed at the CMP, LOL.

There are some things you can do to tighten up your M1 as it is now.

Yeah.. I got lucky.. didn't realize it right away.. 10 shot slow fire.. click.. no bang. Hold for "hangfire".. bolt won't go back.. tough to pull back and when I finally did, case came out.. didn't put 2 and 2 together until next round wouldn't chamber correctly... If I were sitting at the bench alone shooting for kicks, I probably would've noticed it.. but in that setting, with all the other shooters and noise, and the "pressure" of competing for score, it took me a minute to realize what happened. First squib ever for me.

yeah.. I get it.. I'm the old beater Camry running against Ferraris. He expects a Ferrari in his shop. Right now, It's still my inexperience and lack of marksmanship skills that's my goal to improve. When I can say it's the rifle that's holding me back, then it's time to upgrade the parts. I'm just happy with a safe and functional firearm at this point.

Like a hack golfer with $2K clubs and all the Tiger Woods clothing line... dude.. take some lessons first.. it's not the clubs fault that you shoot a 120.

FWIW, my buddy shot a 230 with this rifle last month, and it was his first time shooting it or any M1 I think.

He's so funny... He and my dad are from the same part of Italy.. both Calabrese.. And my dad was a cabinet maker.. So I know that mentality about "quality" all too well..

Yeah.. I got lucky.. didn't realize it right away.. 10 shot slow fire.. click.. no bang. Hold for "hangfire".. bolt won't go back.. tough to pull back and when I finally did, case came out.. didn't put 2 and 2 together until next round wouldn't chamber correctly... If I were sitting at the bench alone shooting for kicks, I probably would've noticed it.. but in that setting, with all the other shooters and noise, and the "pressure" of competing for score, it took me a minute to realize what happened. First squib ever for me.

yeah.. I get it.. I'm the old beater Camry running against Ferraris. He expects a Ferrari in his shop. Right now, It's still my inexperience and lack of marksmanship skills that's my goal to improve. When I can say it's the rifle that's holding me back, then it's time to upgrade the parts. I'm just happy with a safe and functional firearm at this point.

Like a hack golfer with $2K clubs and all the Tiger Woods clothing line... dude.. take some lessons first.. it's not the clubs fault that you shoot a 120.

FWIW, my buddy shot a 230 with this rifle last month, and it was his first time shooting it or any M1 I think.

He's so funny... He and my dad are from the same part of Italy.. both Calabrese.. And my dad was a cabinet maker.. So I know that mentality about "quality" all too well..

You have the absolute right mentality about this. Actually lots of folks bring 'beater Camrys' to CMP games. Accuracy doesn't need to be national match level for quite some time. As you have discovered, you must have reliability at least.

Run what you brung!
If you can get a base point of your rifles abilities thats a good start.
Remember the aiming black on the CMP/NRA targets is aprox 6 moa. Focus on getting your shots in the black.
Theres several shooters with -2 moa rifles but getting that 2 moa group in the correct spot is the fun part.
Practice off hand, even with a 22. That will help your scores greatly.
My goal off hand is nothing out side the 7 ring , work on keeping them in the 8. BUT I always seem to toss a high 5 in the mix.
As for cmp games 200 yards all 10 shots in the black min score is a 90. Shoot all 30 in the black min is a 270 .......or what so many of us do. 95-100s for prones 95-100 rapids and then a 69 off hand!!!!

With out a lot of practice +10moa is where im at offhand

Best weather for a match since I've been there (last October) Some familiar faces and some missing. Gained a few points in Rapid, lost a couple in Slow and Awful-hand. Finished with a 248...
Glasses okay with a head strap, ear pro F'd me again. Need to find a way to limber up the sling (new this year, stiff as a bastid!)
Couple pics...
mac1911 awol, so I am unofficial photog IMG_2615.JPG IMG_2616.JPG IMG_2617.JPG
Couple Snipers . I'm the doofus who still needs my initials on something so I know which rifle is mine....:rolleyes:
-Mike

Had an awesome time today( thanks again mac1911 for the karma) shooting my first CMP match today. Bunch of great guys and beautiful day. Shot a 220 with one miss. First time with a Garand and first shooting match of any kind. Was a little nervous I was going to screw up the scoring when down in the pit but was pretty easy once they started shooting. Thanks to the guys who helped me out in the pit and shooting. I am definitely going to try to make the last match in November. Great day

Had an awesome time today( thanks again mac1911 for the karma) shooting my first CMP match today. Bunch of great guys and beautiful day. Shot a 220 with one miss. First time with a Garand and first shooting match of any kind. Was a little nervous I was going to screw up the scoring when down in the pit but was pretty easy once they started shooting. Thanks to the guys who helped me out in the pit and shooting. I am definitely going to try to make the last match in November. Great day
i was running against the clock , i got there in time for the trial run of the sniper match.

I’m

ya I was bummed I didn’t get to meet you in person. Next time, definitely gonna try to make the next one. Being 10 mins away from there is nice to. Thanks again mac
Im not far away either and I still have a hard time getting over there.
Im going to nov 1st even if its raining
I will sit in the rifle house if I have to!

Best weather for a match since I've been there (last October) Some familiar faces and some missing. Gained a few points in Rapid, lost a couple in Slow and Awful-hand. Finished with a 248...
Glasses okay with a head strap, ear pro F'd me again. Need to find a way to limber up the sling (new this year, stiff as a bastid!)
Couple pics...
mac1911 awol, so I am unofficial photogView attachment 396368View attachment 396369View attachment 396370
Couple Snipers . I'm the doofus who still needs my initials on something so I know which rifle is mine....:rolleyes:
-Mike
I’d pay just to see that smoking hot rack again!

Nice meeting you, Patrick. Good shooting, especially for a first attempt. It's all a little awkward at first and until you get used to it, holding position in the sling can be downright uncomfortable. If you are considering it to be something you might do regularly, you will most definitely improve with practice. I started on a @mac1911 karma a few short years ago and have progressed to occasionally giving the Italian Stallion something other than a gold. Two silvers for me yesterday, and you know who for both golds.

I thought the pits ran well, especially for the first time pullers.

Inaugural vintage sniper was fun and all shot well, with very close scores.

Nice pics @wegman .

yep.. my pizzachit wasn't there to bring the image down

LOL Franco is funny about how M1's are sorted out. Actually I don't think he cares about the looks so much as the condition of key components and fitment for accuracy. The club guns are not that easy on the eyes but they are great shooters. There's always space for a 'been there done that' war horse M1 next to the 'match queens'. And nothing is as fugly as my cobbled together AR for CMP modern military.

Back
Top Bottom