2020 CMP M1 Garand Clinic OCSA , SEASON is OVER

yeah.. I didn't buy it with National Match accuracy in mind.. I bought it bc I thought it was cool, is an interesting conversation piece, and was in my budget. The fact that it's functionally safe is all I really was looking for. And should the zombie apocalypse happen, would be a good zombie killer.

yeah.. I didn't buy it with National Match accuracy in mind.. I bought it bc I thought it was cool, is an interesting conversation piece, and was in my budget. The fact that it's functionally safe is all I really was looking for. And should the zombie apocalypse happen, would be a good zombie killer.

Win M1 Donor for Match Rifle? Sacrilege?

Here's the thread regarding my current match rifle which resulted in my picking up a donor so that a Winchester could be kept in collectable condition. Came to me as a SA Turkish return, maybe Greek return, with a 3 muzzle wear and 2 throat wear. Receiver was in fair to poor condition and the color of a turd. Receiver dimensions were OK and it made a decent donor, at least functionally. Excepting the new hackberry stock the rifle was a total pizzachit and was most definitely NOT a Field Grade as sold to me. At best it was a rack grade. I guess if CMP slaps a total junker into a new stock that makes it a FG [rolleyes] . I should have asked for a replacement rifle or at a minimum have the junk condition op rod, lower band, and barrel replaced. The lower band had been loose for a LONG time and had a worn out ID plus it had worn a groove around the barrel. I had made a little profit reselling CMP M1's so I didn't bother complaining about this one.

Condition aside, with a few tweaks I could get it to hold the black on a SR1 target. Could have shot it as is to get decent scores in a match. Decent, but not winning scores. [smile]

Theres several things you can do to improve accuracy of a run of the mil service grade M1 and still be with in the "rules" of as issued match.
One thing you can do is replace all the old springs. A good trigger job is worth the $50-80 charged to do so.
Replace lower band with a tight fitting one and a new pin. Peen your gas cylinder splines and put a solid gas plug in.
i did this on a few out of the box cmp service grades and all improved alot .

My camera skills are weak

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n65268efS2o

Last edited:
Theres several things you can do to improve accuracy of a run of the mil service grade M1 and still be with in the "rules" of as issued match.
One thing you can do is replace all the old springs. A good trigger job is worth the $50-80 charged to do so.
Replace lower band with a tight fitting one and a new pin. Peen your gas cylinder splines and put a solid gas plug in.
i did this on a few out of the box cmp service grades and all improved alot .

My camera skills are weak

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n65268efS2o

Nice job on the video, mac! :D

OK last match of the year
who going and whos bringing what

Im going to run M1/ M1a and 1903A4
thinking all 168 grain at 2650 ish fps

need to double check my A4 zero

As usual Im trying to decide what to bring.
Modern Mil I have many choices. M1a, M1-308, SKS, AK , AR. Do I shoot more than one MM entry?
Garand Match- I might for go the JCG garand match to shoot my M1 308 , its been over a year since that let the lead fly.
Do i grab a sks and see if I can still see the sights and check zero---- been a long time since i actually aimed the sks or Ak!
i have not shot my AR in a while but hey that plastic/alloy thing is most likely staying home.

So my thoughts are M1-308 and the Rock Ola M1a , 2 entries in Modern Mil and the 03a4 for the sniper match after.
Ammo: 308 will be the good old standard 168gn Match bullet and 41.5 grains H4895. Some where i read if your M1a does not shoot this load well nothing is going to shoot well.

The 03a4 will get a 168 gn /46.5 gn H4895 / FGMM primer - see if that scope rattles off or not.

If by a long shot i bring sk/ak its cheap bulk x39
If AR , i will grab the first thing i see in the draw.

If i decide to do JCG Match it will eat some 168s/46.5gn H4895

Im close to a good cast load for the garand for 200_yards. Maybe next spring.

M1 308 OK for Modern Military? That might be what I bring if yes. Debating on two MM's or shoot Garand first then MM. Would be fun to cap off the season with a Garand win vs. Papa Pasta. I've had a good season for MM with both the ARbomination and the Bula, so will be fun to try the 308. Otherwise I may just go to the AR as I recently picked up a case of Norma Match 223. Of course I have two cases of the Creedmoor Lapua 308 coming as well. Figured I'd grab a bunch while it lasts. I haven't seen the Creedmoor Lapua .30-06 in months and am wondering if CMP will ever carry it again.

Some discussion last OCSA match that the 308 M1 absolutely should be included as it was issued to the Navy same period as the M14 to the Army and Marines. However, it was mentioned that CMP doesn't allow it? Maybe I'll shoot the 308 in the any military type iron sight match at Ames, plus the usual Garand.

M1 308 OK for Modern Military? That might be what I bring if yes. Debating on two MM's or shoot Garand first then MM. Would be fun to cap off the season with a Garand win vs. Papa Pasta. I've had a good season for MM with both the ARbomination and the Bula, so will be fun to try the 308. Otherwise I may just go to the AR as I recently picked up a case of Norma Match 223. Of course I have two cases of the Creedmoor Lapua 308 coming as well. Figured I'd grab a bunch while it lasts. I haven't seen the Creedmoor Lapua .30-06 in months and am wondering if CMP will ever carry it again.

Some discussion last OCSA match that the 308 M1 absolutely should be included as it was issued to the Navy same period as the M14 to the Army and Marines. However, it was mentioned that CMP doesn't allow it? Maybe I'll shoot the 308 in the any military type iron sight match at Ames, plus the usual Garand.
Man , now I have to load up more 30-06 for the M1 Garand!
Ugg I might just show up with a beater SKS , field grade M1 and what ever I can round up for odd ends of ammo

Man , now I have to load up more 30-06 for the M1 Garand!
Ugg I might just show up with a beater SKS , field grade M1 and what ever I can round up for odd ends of ammo

I'm tempted to shoot the Hungarian FEG AK. AK's are a big PITA for anything but mag dumping, so maybe not.

On my way back from Missouri. Assuming no more family emergencies and that my get out of gook flu jail testing is negative, I'll be there.

If CMP delivered my ammo I might shoot the M1A, otherwise will be the ARbomination. Tempted to shoot Unlimited Garand out of competition if said ammo is delivered.

I’m using the Israeli FAL I just put together. I’ll bring the M1, not sure if I’ll run a relay with it or not.

Nice! I'd like to build a FAL or perhaps a (cheaper LOL) HK variant maybe once the nonsense settles down. Run that M1. Unless you'll go to Ames the following week, this will be the last match of the year.

Nice! I'd like to build a FAL or perhaps a (cheaper LOL) HK variant maybe once the nonsense settles down. Run that M1. Unless you'll go to Ames the following week, this will be the last match of the year.

The CETME I used last month shot way better than I thought it would. I got the frozen front sight pin out and it’s torn down waiting to Park it. I’ll run it again when it has a reliable zero. I have two more CETME kits maybe I can turn one into a G3.

The CETME I used last month shot way better than I thought it would. I got the frozen front sight pin out and it’s torn down waiting to Park it. I’ll run it again when it has a reliable zero. I have two more CETME kits maybe I can turn one into a G3.

OK now you're just bragging LOL. Tell us how cheap you bought those kits and you'll really be on the sh list.

That CETME did shoot quite well. What receiver did you use?

OK now you're just bragging LOL. Tell us how cheap you bought those kits and you'll really be on the sh list.

That CETME did shoot quite well. What receiver did you use?

They’re still cheap. I think the kits are still $125. The receiver was an RTG flat. They have both CETME and HK versions. Pretty sure I have a G3 furniture set around.

They’re still cheap. I think the kits are still $125. The receiver was an RTG flat. They have both CETME and HK versions. Pretty sure I have a G3 furniture set around.

I looked and yep, kits still cheap. [thumbsup] The trick will be waiting for a receiver flat and barrel to be in stock.

You use a pro made jig or DIY?

Well it was a short fun season.

The weather held up and I finished with a few trinkets.
View attachment 406564

RESULTS- if Incorrect Im going on memory
Garand
Gold 273/300/7X
Silver 271/300/4X
Bronze 268/300/?X
Modern Military
Gold 273/300
Silver 263/300
Bronze 253/300

Nice shooting, @mac1911 .

Forgot to snap pics of my scorecards. think I was in good shape for the Garand match until wheels came off in awfulhand. ~96 and some X's in slow, similar in rapid. Good enough for bronze. Should have smoked Modern Military and not broken my ~4 match (including Ames) winning streak. 99 in slow, 90-something in rapid, but again trouble with awfulhand. Good enough for silver. Back trouble yesterday and no Advil at the house. Getting old is a biatch.

Great to see everyone who was able to come and shoot. Also big thank you to @wegman for assuming pit duty even though he wasn't feeling up to shooting.

There's a chance of a December match, interest allowing and weather permitting.

Back
Top Bottom