• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2020 CMP M1 Garand Clinic OCSA , SEASON is OVER

Although fit will be awful try finding a pair of 1.0 cheaters and see how that works out. Most "glasses" frames are not well suited to shooting in positions. Even my Randolph Rangers I could use a higher bridge for Prone and I put the left nose pad on the right side of my nose to avoid looking through the frame and lense.
I have a set of Decot frames and a +1.0 for my aiming eye on the way. Only works for shooting.
If you did not notice i had to enlarge my log sheet to see it better with out my normal 1.75s
If you have any other vision correction issues go see Dr. Ginsberg out of Natick Eye Associates.
Hes a shooter and understands what we need to see.
Awful hand, well lets say its the position most likely to turn your score to shit.
When i did practice I practiced more off hand than anything. You can use any rifle even 22s.
One thing you need to really focus on is sight picture. Start calling your shots and write them down. Developing a routine that gets the rifle up , your eyes on the sights and a shot off in less time will be a better shot more often.
Setting up during prep time to get your Natural Point of Aim set is where to start your foundation.
You want that front sight naturally alligned best as possible to the black blob.
A small 3/8-1/2" dot on a wall 12' feet or so away is good for dryfire exercise and helps get those muscles a little stronger. Dont fight that wobble learn to minimize it and find that cycle eventually the sight picture will come and you snap of a round.

My eyes were shit yesterday. Surprised I scored as well as I did while swagging my shots in the sea of fuzz. Had to use the entire front sight- ears and everything to try and get consistent aim. Let me know how the new frames work out.

IIRC an 84 in awfulhand which is slightly better than average for me with the K31.

My eyes were shit yesterday. Surprised I scored as well as I did while swagging my shots in the sea of fuzz. Had to use the entire front sight- ears and everything to try and get consistent aim. Let me know how the new frames work out.

IIRC an 84 in awfulhand which is slightly better than average for me with the K31.
My awful hand had been stale for years 75 to 80
Yesterday I had 2 shots go out side The 8 ring! I was running a 8.75 shot average until those shots!

Just to add a tip.
look at your past scores if you see Prone rapid scores are close or even better than your Slowfire its because your most likely your trying to focus to long on your sights during the slow prone stage and start thinking. That 6" between your ears can be your worst piece of equipment.
Simple set up for me.
establish natural point of aim and then try not to move out of position. Only thing that should move is your trigger arm. Get behind rifle , check NPA, take a deep breath exhale , then start your trigger squeeze , focus on the sights and when you see the sight picture you want , squeeze that last bit of trigger....call your shots, write it down and slowly your calls will match your score.
If your focused on the front sight and pay attention to it when the shot cracks off you should at least tell if your shot went high , low Left or right.
So start your calls with that.
You will know when your position is solid and NPA are good when after the shot your sights settle right back onto the bull.
This video is pretty simple. Small things can make big changes down range.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HUbk472rAo&app=desktop

Thanks mac!

Eyes were bad for me today & was fighting an overly strong pulse despite wearing a thick Pendleton shirt under my shooting jacket. Dumped the Pendleton for match 2 because of the heat and ended up shooting better anyway. Pulse maybe from heat and/or perhaps the big coffee I drank wasn't decaf like it was supposed to be. Scored decently- just a couple points away from bronze in Garand and one point shy of gold for a silver in Vintage. I think Mac was only 1 or two points away from beating me in Vintage and I'm pretty sure he had more X's.

Was good to see @76Too . He had some trouble with his M1 but hammered the 10-ring with a club gun.

Rsjc36V.jpg

Speaking of melting, the Spaghetti King's shooting glove grip material melted onto his M1!

Rabbits are also known to melt; even with AC
IMG_1596.jpeg
t

Last edited:
Im a little surprised his rifles are not covered in stickUm.

I owned an AR15 that I put black electrical tape on the vent holes on the top of the fore arm. The damned thing was actually whistling in the wind and I was hunting with it. Some months later I went to the range and fired off a couple 30 round mags and then spent 3 hours cleaning off the barrel. Boy can I do some stupid stuff!

Kinda like folks with broken side car windows making temporaries with clear plastic and DUCT TAPE! Then leave it on all winter, hell to get tat off paint. Packing tape even worse. :rolleyes:

So for the next match im going to try some Sierra 135gn MK , on the lower side of data. Some where between 2600-2900 FPS
Loaded up 5 rounds of 135gn SMKs and 45 grains of H4895. Still a bit snappy so will try something diffetent.
Not to bad for first test. It was to darn hot. Tried my new Rx and it worked great. Next time correct target and cooler weather. I have been shooting light cast loads so long out of this rifle even this light load felt like a 300rum ! 643F0292-F364-4F9E-8D4D-81B820ED3BC9.jpeg

Attachments

• 15F4B1A5-7903-4A77-9A9D-8D659C35AC74.jpeg
    15F4B1A5-7903-4A77-9A9D-8D659C35AC74.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Good shooting mac...and good to be able to see the sights!
Yes it was nice to to actually see the top edge of the front sight again.
My A3 has the .100” wide front sight and it helps even that much more.
Wish I could do .100” front post on everything

I need a wide sight for my 03/A3
Not sure iof this guy is still making them. I should have purchased a few..... I bought one for the wider blade plus the original sight had been filed down way to much by previous owner for my needs. I also bough the USMC style front hood. it does not help much for shooting other than fighting glare. Good thing is you can just leave it on
Bill Bentz
[email protected] or [email protected]

here is Bills front sight compared to the OEM. These are for 1903a3
1595331144203.png

Last edited:
My 125's I've been using Varget 48.5gr. Or 50.0 gr H4895...
50 grains , obviously you dont read my posts!!! Lol. Thats way to much powder! Im actually going to go much less. H4895 does well with reduced loads. I might even try some 2400 and run them at 1650fps or so

Sierra starting load for Varget and 125gr. is 48.6/2800fps. Maybe I will try some lower with the H4895, but want the rifle to function...
as for M1 garand the lightest i have loaded is 150 grain cast with 37 grains of H4895 for full function.
nice tight gas system though.

Not really
Hat, pants , long sleeve shirt. Brass is hot. Water.
Club has mats, and jackets if they fit.
What you going to bring ?

Not really
Hat, pants , long sleeve shirt. Brass is hot. Water.
Club has mats, and jackets if they fit.
What you going to bring ?

just my M1 and a buddy so far... .. maybe my 13yo just to check it out. LOL..

so pants and long sleeves in August? shooting that close that other people's brass gets you?

I've never done this before so I don't know what to expect... I'll be lucky to hit anything at 200yd. Never shot at that distance.

how long does it last? Should we plan on all day or just till noon or what?

just my M1 and a buddy so far... .. maybe my 13yo just to check it out. LOL..

so pants and long sleeves in August? shooting that close that other people's brass gets you?

I've never done this before so I don't know what to expect... I'll be lucky to hit anything at 200yd. Never shot at that distance.

how long does it last? Should we plan on all day or just till noon or what?
Plan on 10-2 depends on how many relays.
Yes brass goes every where and if you give it a soft spot to land on it will find it!
Can you hit a 10” plate at 100 yards? Your friend?
I dont know what pembroke OCSA has for minimum age but I think CMP is 13 ? Theres club M1s and ammo available for a fee , I cant remember ammo costs at the moment.
We shoot 15 rounds prone slow fire 5 sighters 10 for score then a 10 round rapid fire prone then 10 off hand standing slow fire.
The actual target or the 5 ring is pretty big so you should be able to hit it or the target to the left or right. Lol ....cross fires do happen.
As how close , where right at 6’ head to head buy M1 brass can easily eject 2 positions to the right.
If you wear shorts you almost bound to get a hot piece of brass on the back of the knee.

Last edited:
So for the next match im going to try some Sierra 135gn MK , on the lower side of data. Some where between 2600-2900 FPS
Loaded up 5 rounds of 135gn SMKs and 45 grains of H4895. Still a bit snappy so will try something diffetent.
Not to bad for first test. It was to darn hot. Tried my new Rx and it worked great. Next time correct target and cooler weather. I have been shooting light cast loads so long out of this rifle even this light load felt like a 300rum !View attachment 373822
Did a little better with 40 grains H4895
100 yards quick bench test. Shot the 40 grain loads 1st (golf tees) was a nice soft load.
The 38 grain load did not feel any lighter and groups opened up
No time for more testing just going to load up enough 40 grain load for the match. I dont know why the picture is coming up rotated?1/4 turn to the right is true orientation. B749CBA7-9E64-4832-A531-1CCE38D9F765.jpeg
looks like I will need to put the rear sight on 300 maybe 350 yard sight setting to get impacts in the 10 ring at 200 yards ? I was trying a center hold but was loosing the bull completely again? Another trick of the eyes....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom