2020 Cast Bullet Signup Thread

If anyone needs the links I was taking about during the seminar here they are.

Cast Bullet Links

• LASC tons of detailed articles and PDF copy of “From Ingot To Target”
NRA - IHMSA Handgun, Rifle, Air Pistol Silhouette Shooting. The Excitement Of Reactive Steel Targets At The Los Angeles Silhouette Club

• Low velocity lever gun / single shot /bolt gun data.
Lever Gun Performance Studies

• List of bullet moulds with their description and use. Includes obsolete designs.
Lyman and Ideal Mold Descritions

• Castboolits Forum
Cast Boolits

• Hi-Tek bullet coating.
Hi-Performance Bullet Coatings

• Steel lath for baking trays
27 in. x 8 ft. Steel Lath-2.5 METAL LATH - The Home Depot

• White Label Lubes
Home | LS Stuff

• Mould Makers
Along with LEE , RCBS, Lyman & Saeco there are a few custom/semi custom makers that lead the industry.

The best hollow point molds! ~ MP-molds ~ Bullet molds

NOE Bullet Moulds |

Accurate Molds: Custom Bullet Molds

• Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. Older edition but loaded with information and useful load data.
http://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Man...et Handbook - 3rd Edition - 1980 - Reduce.pdf

Attachments

• Alloy Calculator .xlsx
    138 KB · Views: 0
So after a day to think back on it what do we have for feedback?
How was the flow?
Did we give enough time for each segment?
Was there something you felt didn’t get enough explanation?
Did anyone have a heart attack after eating a mallasada?
Did everyone get to use a mould that fit their needs?
Did I leave a slug stuck in anyone’s rifle bore?

I had a ball. Everything was covered from materials, ratios, techniques and safety precautions. The equipment was serious and there were enough stations for everyone to get ample time cranking out lead from different molds like an operation. I went nuts and cranked out a ton of 44 magnum. I think an awesome follow up seminar would be primers and powder but its clearly not as involved as the actual metallurgy process of casting.

👋🏻 long time lurker here. I was the odd guy sniffing fumes by the easy bake oven. Anyway, thought I’d stop in and say thanks to mike and 1919fan and everyone else it was my second casting seminar and learned so much more. Awesome job putting this on guys

Keep reaching for the stars, but keep your feet on the ground!!!

I had a ball. Everything was covered from materials, ratios, techniques and safety precautions. The equipment was serious and there were enough stations for everyone to get ample time cranking out lead from different molds like an operation. I went nuts and cranked out a ton of 44 magnum. I think an awesome follow up seminar would be primers and powder but its clearly not as involved as the actual metallurgy process of casting.

I would suggest a class from @EddieCoyle for the general reloading. IIRC you were starting casting and reloading at the same time right? You’re going to be leagues ahead of everyone (as long as you can find primers)

👋🏻 long time lurker here. I was the odd guy sniffing fumes by the easy bake oven. Anyway, thought I’d stop in and say thanks to mike and 1919fan and everyone else it was my second casting seminar and learned so much more. Awesome job putting this on guys

Keep reaching for the stars, but keep your feet on the ground!!!
Thank you for the help with all the coating ffej. Now you have plenty of hands on experience you coat your own.

Really , the food was aweful, the lead was cold and i was bored shitless.......at home! One of these years i will make it, i just want donuts and mediocre coffee!

i will continue to donate and run a karma or 2 . As long as we keep some new blood coming "it" will be there for others in the future.

I would suggest a class from @EddieCoyle for the general reloading. IIRC you were starting casting and reloading at the same time right? You’re going to be leagues ahead of everyone (as long as you can find primers)

Thank you for the help with all the coating ffej. Now you have plenty of hands on experience you coat your own.
The class slots were gobbled up like hot cakes. I’m happy taking both classes because I definitely wanted some exposure to casting and the gritty parts.

Really , the food was aweful, the lead was cold and i was bored shitless.......at home! One of these years i will make it, i just want donuts and mediocre coffee!

i will continue to donate and run a karma or 2 . As long as we keep some new blood coming "it" will be there for others in the future.
Hey hey easy there. We had Jim’s Organic coffee! Thank you again for the lead. I’ll believe it when o see you there!
The class slots were gobbled up like hot cakes. I’m happy taking both classes because I definitely wanted some exposure to casting and the gritty parts.
Well we had the gritty parts covered for sure.

Mike and 1919 , I can’t thank you enough for putting on such an awesome seminar , my second time and learned even more , there is so much info you fellas put out , the passion you have for casting is contagious , evident by the amount of bullets casted.
I had a blast and am already looking forward to next year.
what’s this about a reloading class ?

Mike and 1919 , I can’t thank you enough for putting on such an awesome seminar , my second time and learned even more , there is so much info you fellas put out , the passion you have for casting is contagious , evident by the amount of bullets casted.
I had a blast and am already looking forward to next year.
what’s this about a reloading class ?
Thank you for making the long drive up!
@EddieCoyle puts on some awesome reloading classes just a little north of us.

If you can convince @1919FAN to host a cast bullet reloading seminar for the tips and tricks I’ll sure as hell be there teaching it!

Hey hey easy there. We had Jim’s Organic coffee! Thank you again for the lead. I’ll believe it when o see you there!

Well we had the gritty parts covered for sure.
I acquire a good amount of lead through out the year , often more than I need. i will set some tentative week ends around this time frame. If my kids are playing fall ball next year i wont get a chance to breath.

My first investment in casting.

$12 at Homeless Depot And about 10 min in the garage. Hoping it pays off on the next range trip!

View attachment 394630
You might find that to big.
I assume your going mining for lead.

i ended up modifying a clam rake.
Lined it with screen was able to get down into the top 3” of soil around the berms and able to sift out the small stuff. Then dump it in a bucket.

i found it fairly easy to just go after a heavy rain and pick the bullets right off the ground

Had a great time - too bad I had to leave early.

Was surprised at the interest in my temperature controller. Going to make the effort to clear up some schedule to get a good tutorial up for anyone wanting to build one. Also need to make the fixtures so that I can cut enclosure panels efficiently on my mill.

If I can free up some time, might be able to host a mini workshop to build a bunch of controllers.

Was surprised at the interest in my temperature controller. Going to make the effort to clear up some schedule to get a good tutorial up for anyone wanting to build one. Also need to make the fixtures so that I can cut enclosure panels efficiently on my mill.

If I can free up some time, might be able to host a mini workshop to build a bunch of controllers.
Now that would be an awesome workshop!

In

Michael, and all who attended, CONGRATS on another successful workshop to teach folks how to cast your own bullets.
I started this process in 2009, so we are coming at 11 years with almost annual workshops. I'm proud of the hosts for this one, and hope that in addition to learning the techniques and process, above all else you had a good time.
I am dealing with my cancer again, and about to embark on a tricky and not without serious risk drug trial process. I'll be in the hospital for two weeks, and then close to the hospital with my two kids for the following two weeks. Just know that I have my friends at NES in mind, and will be checking in from my hospital room when I can.
I am very proud of Michael for the excellent job on this one. Hope to see you all soon.

For re-claiming lead at a range a Metal Detector Sand Scoop could work if it's fine enough.

s-l300.jpg

Michael, and all who attended, CONGRATS on another successful workshop to teach folks how to cast your own bullets.
I started this process in 2009, so we are coming at 11 years with almost annual workshops. I'm proud of the hosts for this one, and hope that in addition to learning the techniques and process, above all else you had a good time.
I am dealing with my cancer again, and about to embark on a tricky and not without serious risk drug trial process. I'll be in the hospital for two weeks, and then close to the hospital with my two kids for the following two weeks. Just know that I have my friends at NES in mind, and will be checking in from my hospital room when I can.
I am very proud of Michael for the excellent job on this one. Hope to see you all soon.
Thank you for the kind words Orville. Thank you for all of us that you taught so we could pass it on. You will be in our prayers. Please keep us up to day and good luck man!

I want to build one.

Or you can build me one and take my $$$.

@pastera I have temperature controllers from when I used to have an aquarium.

If I get a probe that won't melt, do you think that would work?

Given the low temps involved I am going to guess that it is a thermistor input - thermistors don't hit melting temperatures so I don't think it will work
Post up the model number

Interested in finding out more on your PID

Back
Top Bottom